Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
General

Phantom of Hogwarts by Good_Witch [Reviews - 94]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

See previous "chapter" for pertinent information.


*part two*

Snape was once again wearing the knee-length opera trench coat with the white Mandarin collared shirt and the satin striped tuxedo trousers he had worn to the play. Not only was he not clad completely in his black robes, but he had done his best to fix his hair the way Hermione had, pulling it back into the tail at the base of his skull, but pulling the shorter locks forward, to frame his face. He could feel the wisps of hair floating as he walked.

For the first time, he didn’t feel paranoid about the stunning entrance he had made, and all of the eyes pinned on him. It was Hermione’s reaction that mattered, and when he saw that he had surprised her, and that she obviously appreciated his venture, he was content with his lot. Let them stare. It didn’t bother him in the slightest. He fought to conceal the satisfied smirk that threatened, not wanting to cause any more of a scene. He would be laughing about this moment later, when he was alone in his quarters with no one to hear him.

He coolly crossed to Dumbledore, handing over his Secret Santa gift as he inclined his head, murmuring, “I apologize for my tardiness. I lost track of the time. Good evening, Albus, Minerva…” He slid his gaze over the gobsmacked woman standing beside Dumbledore and nodded at her. Dumbledore was beaming at him, trembling with the force of the laughter he was holding back. He seemed to think it all a huge joke, and quite enjoyed the stunned faces around them.

“Don’t worry about it, Severus. I must say, if your arrival was delayed by you getting ready, the result was worth it. You look quite ripping, my boy. Indeed, it’s a refreshing change from years’ worth of black teaching robes!” Chuckling merrily, he clapped a hand on Snape’s shoulder and urged him to relax. “Go on, find a seat. We’ll probably do the gift exchange soon. Have some refreshments. The lemon pie is quite tasty…” He gently pushed Snape toward the refreshment tables, chortling.

Snape found himself propelled toward Hermione. On the other side of the tables, he saw Colin and Neville gaping at him. Mildly, he drawled, “Mr. Creevey, Mr. Longbottom, do close your mouths. You are not codfish.” He snorted at their violent starts, and the hasty way they shut their mouths. With mumbled “Yes, sir”s, they hurried off, wanting to be anywhere but in his path. His gaze returned to Hermione, who was staring at him, rapt. He flicked a glance around again, worried that someone else might notice the light in her eyes. Her hand was motionless, limply held in front of her. His keen eyes saw the puddle at her feet, the fallen cup on its side. Deftly withdrawing his wand, he pointed it at the mess and muttered, “Evanesco.” Then, he paused, drawing himself up and looking sternly down his nose at Hermione.

“Miss Granger, do you think it appropriate to be spilling punch at a formal affair? And then leaving the mess for someone else to clean up, while you stare off into space like a half-wit?” He pointed his wand at the cup. “Accio cup.” It flew into his outstretched palm. Hermione jumped, startled from her daze.

“Oh! I-I’m sorry, sir. I hadn’t realized I had dropped it. I didn’t mean to make a mess, and I certainly wouldn’t have expected you to clean up after me. I’ll put it away, sir, if you’ll give me my cup back.” She schooled her expression into a properly contrite one, extending her hand toward him.

Snape snorted in disdain. Stepping closer to her, he put her cup in her hand, touching her fingers with his as he leant forward and murmured, “Had I but known my appearance would cause you such problems, I might have changed my mind…”

Hermione’s eyes flashed with instant denial. Forcing her breathing to remain even, she gasped, “Oh no! Don’t change on my account, sir. You look… nice.” She grimaced at the restrictions on what she could say, noting the glint of amusement in his black eyes.

He let his hand drop away from hers and backed away a step. Eyeing her slyly, he drawled, “Indeed. I could say the same to you.” Then, inclining his head in both dismissal and goodbye, he strode away to a table in a corner, dropping gracefully into a seat, casually gazing at everyone who kept staring at him.

Hermione gripped her cup tightly to still the shaking of her hand. Cheeks burning, pulse racing, and knickers damp, she refilled her cup and weakly crossed to the nearest table, sinking into a chair.

Several minutes later, Hermione felt that she was sufficiently in control of herself again, and the rest of the cast had returned to their own pursuits, rather than staring at Snape. Snape, for his part, simply sat quietly, sharp black eyes watching the festivities, a bemused look on his face.

Not long after that, Dumbledore stepped out onto the dance floor and raised his hands, commanding everyone’s attention. A curious silence fell.

“Now that everyone is present, I believe it is time to exchange gifts! Come; gather ‘round. Take a seat, all of you…” He waved his wand and arranged a circle of chairs, just like he had done at the first read-through. A susurrus of excitement whipped through the group as they approached the circle.

Snape stood and hovered for a moment, waiting until Hermione had taken a seat, and then took one opposite her. As everyone sat, Dumbledore stepped to the table and cast the reversal of the concealment charm. Murmurs of anticipation rippled around the circle at the sight of the brightly wrapped packages.

“I shall distribute the gifts to you all; but I want everyone to wait until all of the gifts have been presented before opening any. We will all open them at the same time, understood?” He peered over his spectacles at the hasty nods of the students. Smiling, he turned to the table and picked up two packages, reading the names and handing them to the appropriate people. As he continued, the air of excitement grew heavy, and soon everyone had a package in their laps.

Dumbledore took his seat, contentedly holding his gift, and beamed around the circle. “Very well then. Happy Christmas, everyone! Open!”

There was a wave of ripping sounds as Spello-tape and paper were torn from the packages. Cries of surprise and laughter mixed from all sides, as eyes darted from one person to the next, all trying to see what everyone got, and wondering who had drawn that person’s name to begin with.

Hermione was slower than the others in opening her gift, as she was curious to see what her friends had received, and she was idly pulling the tape loose before peeling back the paper.

Across the circle, Snape was also trailing behind the others, so intent was he on watching Hermione, wanting to see her reaction to his gift. As the hubbub increased around him, with inquisitive and cheerful shouts ringing on all sides, he realized he couldn’t be caught watching Hermione like that, and he focused his attention on his package, deftly breaking the tape and unfolding the paper.

Hermione smiled at her friends’ pleased reactions, looking at their gifts as she opened the box. When she looked down into the open box, her eyes went wide, and she clapped a hand over her mouth to stifle the little shriek of surprise that emerged from her throat.

Opposite her, Snape opened his package, and, as he saw the chocolate mousse in it, he was struck by the absurdity of the whole situation, and how ironic it was that they should both have the same idea about what to give the other, for he was immediately certain, beyond a doubt, that Hermione had somehow drawn his name as well. Glancing up through his lashes at her dumbfounded countenance, he couldn’t help it…

Just as he had done hours before in his quarters, Severus Snape threw his head back and laughed. Loud and long. He fell back in his chair, and his deep, resonant peals of laughter rose to the enchanted ceiling. He laughed so richly and with such abandon that he felt tears of mirth collecting in the corners of his eyes. And, as he did so, his laughter filled the Hall, in no small part due to the fact that everyone else had gone deadly silent at the first sound of his amusement.

Eyes goggled at him warily from all around the circle. It seemed that the whole Hall waited with bated breath for the culmination of such an unnerving, bizarre event. Even Hermione sat across from him, still and white with shock, her hand clamped over her open mouth.

Dumbledore’s smile was genuine, if a bit puzzled, as he leant forward and asked, “For Merlin’s sake, Severus, what in the world did you receive?”

Snape manfully tried to compose himself, breathing deeply and clearing his throat against the spasms that still threatened. Passing a hand over his eyes, he vainly tried to sober his expression. But, the delighted grin refused to budge. Not quite trusting himself to speak, he simply reached into the box and withdrew the bowl of mousse, holding it up for all to see. Then, he picked up the jar of cherries and flourished it as well. A fresh wave of laughter swept over him, and he sputtered and snorted as he tried to contain it.

As strange as it was to see Snape laughing, his laughter was infectious. As he unsuccessfully tried to stop, lopsided smiles appeared on a few incredulous faces. Finally, as Snape looked across the circle at Hermione, his black eyes sparkling with glee, she succumbed to the humour of it all and began giggling.

As one, every head turned toward her, stunned once again by another odd occurrence. Flushing, her eyes bright with merriment, Hermione pulled out her gift and presented it, nodding across the circle at Snape.

In the shocked and bewildered silence, Dumbledore began chuckling as well, and Snape cut him an amused side glance, wryly drawling, “Well, Albus, I do believe we know who drew whose name…” At that, Hermione burst out laughing in earnest.

“Indeed, Professor. Great minds think alike?” She grinned at Snape, twinkling impishly at him. He quirked one sardonic eyebrow at her and smirked.

Noncommittally, he tossed his head, flinging the wisps of his hair out of his eyes and voiced a dry, “Hmph.”

Dumbledore clapped his hands together and chuckled. “How fun! I would dearly love to hear how you two managed to come up with the same gift idea, but first, I’d like to see what everyone else got, and allow people to share whose name they drew.” He beamed around the circle, drawing attention from the unexpected spectacle of Snape and Hermione’s matching gifts.

As the other students focused back on their presents, Dumbledore announced, “I’ll go first! I received a tin of lemon drops. But, they have been masterfully transfigured into the shapes of lions, obviously in a nod to my Gryffindor background. I say, I am quite charmed by the clever idea. And my favourite candy too… Come now, who drew my name?” He gazed amiably around the circle, pausing as an embarrassed Neville raised his hand.

“I-I did, sir.”

“Why thank you, Mr. Longbottom. Did you transfigure them yourself?”

Ears violently pink, Neville nodded, glancing sheepishly around.

“Excellent job! Five points to Gryffindor for such a unique demonstration of your skill in transfiguration. Now, what did you get, my boy?”

Neville perked up and sat straighter as he excitedly brandished a book. “It’s an illustrated book on Magical Plants, sir! The pictures show the plants as they go through their whole growth phase!”

Dumbledore smiled indulgently at the boy’s enthusiasm. “Quite appropriate for you, Mr. Longbottom. And, who gave him that lovely gift?”

McGonagall smiled primly as she raised her hand. “I knew of Mr. Longbottom’s interest in Herbology, and I thought he would like it.”

Neville smiled joyfully at his Head of House. “I do! Thank you!”

McGonagall preened. “You’re quite welcome.” Then, she looked at Dumbledore and continued, “I was given a lovely set of monogrammed handkerchiefs… and they’re edged in Gryffindor colours!” She chuckled in appreciation and the students laughed as well. “And to whom do I owe my thanks for their impeccable taste?” She smiled around the circle, stopping on Hannah Abbott, who had timidly raised her hand, blushing.

“I’m glad you like them, Professor McGonagall. I really didn’t know what to get a teacher, but my mum just reminded me that you’re a person just like she is, and I thought I’d get them for you just like I do for my mum.” She paused at the titters that sounded around her.

McGonagall puffed up, eyeing those students with a silent reprimand. When they subsided, she smiled again at Hannah. “I thank you, Miss Abbott. What did you receive?”

Hannah looked down quickly and held up a variety of items. “It’s a selection of hair and makeup insta-glamours. I’ve seen them in Witch Weekly, but I’ve never tried them. They look fun!” She glanced around the circle expectantly and Ginny waved at her, grinning.

“Glad you like them! I’d like to see how they turn out.” Hannah nodded and Ginny lifted her gift from the box. “I got a calendar of UK Quidditch teams. It looks great!” She grinned and laughed, managing to conceal her surprise that Millicent Bulstrode lifted her hand.

Coolly, Millicent offered, “I figured since you were on the Gryffindor team, you could appreciate it.” She looked at Ginny solemnly.

Ginny tilted her head and insisted, “I do! Thanks, Millicent.”

Millicent shrugged minutely. Stiffly, she retorted, “You’re welcome.” She seemed to thaw a bit as she lifted her hand and showed off the charm bracelet on her wrist. “I got this. Isn’t it pretty?” She smiled faintly as she gazed at the bauble.

Harry cleared his throat. “Uh, I drew her name. I’m… glad you like it.” He glanced around uncomfortably, but relaxed a bit at the approving looks he got from Ginny and Hermione. When he saw the grudging look Draco sent him, he sat up straighter, proud that he had made a good choice.

Millicent gazed at Harry gravely and uttered a slightly strained, “Thank you.”

Heaving a relieved sigh, Harry replied, “You’re welcome. So, I got these Quidditch gloves! They fit great…” He looked brightly around, and saw Susan Bones’s pleased smile.

Flushing, she said, “I’m so glad. I hoped they would fit.”

Harry beamed at her and said, “Thanks, Susan! I’ll put them to good use.” Chuckles rippled through the group and Susan ducked her head in gratified embarrassment.

Susan held her hand out, palm up, and a dainty miniature unicorn pranced and snorted. It was a magical figurine, and Susan smiled. “Someone remembered how much I love unicorns!” She laughed as the figurine bobbed its head.

Ron sniffed and shot her a lopsided grin, leaning complacently back in his chair. “Yeah, I remembered. Do you really like it?”

Susan leant forward in earnest as she said, “I do, Ron, really! Thank you!”

His ears turned pink as he sat forward again and said, “You’re welcome.” Then, he pulled a bright orange scarf from his package and wrapped it around his neck, beaming above it. “It’s a Chudley Cannons scarf! Ruddy brilliant…” He saw Colin smiling timidly at him. “Good one, mate! Thanks!”

Colin nodded and shot a quick glance at Hermione as he heaved a sigh of relief and said, “No problem. You’re welcome.” He showed off his gift. “I got a book on photography in the wizarding world! There’re different chapters on all the types of cameras, the potions you use in developing, and even tips on composition and style, so the images will be comfortable!” His eyes were almost glowing, and the words tumbled out.

Justin Finch-Fletchley grinned and called out, “Thought you could use something like that.”

“It’s great, Justin, thanks!”

“Sure thing, Colin. I’m gonna’ have to keep my gift separate, or I might end up annoying the professors…” He chuckled at the puzzled looks cast at him. “I got Zonko’s gag parchment and Everchanging Ink. I doubt the professors would appreciate grading an essay that kept changing colours on them, especially if the parchment turned into something else in the middle of it!” Laughter erupted throughout the circle, particularly at the indignant expression on McGonagall’s face at the thought.

Lavender piped up, “If you get them mixed up, don’t blame me, I just gave them to you, I never said to use them for homework!” She grinned at Justin as he nodded back to her.

“Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind!”

Lavender sent him a mock-stern look and giggled, “You better!” Then, she leant forward, showing the necklace that was around her neck. “Isn’t it great? It’s a miniature crystal ball pendant! I think it’s adorable!” Her beatific smile faltered into an expression of disbelief when Draco raised his hand haughtily. The other Gryffindors exchanged stunned looks.

With a sneer, Draco drawled, “Don’t look so surprised. We Malfoys have good taste.” He smirked, casting a smug glance at the shocked Gryffindors.

In a faint, dazed voice, Lavender said, “Th-thank you, Draco…”

“Don’t mention it. Everyone knows how much you love Divination.” Near Lavender, Trelawney visibly preened. Draco suddenly shifted in his seat, and said, “Anyway, I got this quill. It’s perfect Slytherin colours, and according to the tag, it writes in either black, green, or silver, depending on which you want at the time. Rather clever, actually.” His smile seemed like it didn’t quite know how to fit on his face, since it wasn’t arrogant or evil. He looked up expectantly and saw Parvati timidly waving her hand.

“Well, ‘everyone knows’ how much pride you have in your House, so I thought it was nice. Glad you like it.” Her posture showed an awkward tension, but when Draco responded, it drained away.

Gravely, Draco inclined his head to Parvati and smoothly said, “Thank you for the gift.” He sat back, looking fairly satisfied with his display of manners.

Parvati exhaled on a long note and faintly said, “You’re welcome.” Brightening, she picked up the variety of hair clips and accessories to show them off. “These are really cute; they move. See, the butterflies’ wings flutter, and the flowers bloom. I love hair stuff!” She grinned around the circle, until Dumbledore waved at her, at which point her eyes opened wide, and her mouth formed an “o” of surprise.

“I say, I’m so pleased you like them. I saw them at a shop in Diagon Alley, and I thought they were charming. Wear them in good health, my dear.” He twinkled fondly at her.

She gamely recovered herself and shot a contented smile at the headmaster. “I will, sir. Thank you!”

Dumbledore chuckled merrily to himself and gazed about the group, noting that several people hadn’t gone yet. “Well, I suppose it was going too smoothly…” Titters met his wry statement. “Very well then, let me see… Ah, Sibyll, what did you get?”

Trelawney lit up as she spoke. “It’s a selection of teas. Several different varieties, and all loose, so I can read the leaves when I’m done!”

A cough drew everyone’s attention. Terry Boot spoke up, “That was my intent, Professor Trelawney. I thought you could both enjoy drinking them, and then use them.”

Beaming at him dreamily, she lilted, “Perfect, my dear boy. A perfect choice. Perhaps you have a gift as a seer…”

Terry ducked his head and cleared his throat again. “Uh, thanks. Um… well… I got this really ace basket from Honeydukes! It has all sorts of candies in it: Ice Mice, Pepper Imps, Chocolate Frogs, the works!”

Seamus grinned at him. “Cheers, mate! Reckon you might share any of it?” he waggled his eyebrows at Terry, eliciting laughter from the other students.

Terry chuckled and said, “Maybe. Thanks!”

Seamus gave him a mock-salute and sat up. “I got a Deluxe Exploding Snap game. So, anyone who wants to play, come by Gryffindor Tower tomorrow and I’m game!”

Luna tilted her head at him and said, “That would be nice. I really liked that set. I almost didn’t want to give it up, but I couldn’t keep it. It’s for you.” She gazed at him pleasantly with her bulging light blue eyes.

“Gee, thanks, Luna. We can play tomorrow.”

“All right.” She smiled blankly at him before she lifted her gift. “I got a book on odd creatures. It’s quite interesting. There’s a section for creatures in the Muggle world too. I expect my dad and I will go looking for some of them come next summer. It should be fun.”

Pansy spoke up. “I thought so. It just seemed like such a ‘you’ thing.” Her tone was faintly contemptuous, but since Luna was patently pleased with the gift, Pansy decided to give up on the subtle insult. Shrugging airily, she continued, “I got this perfume. It’s pretty nice. Not the really froufy stuff from Paris, but it smells nice.” She sniffed her wrist again, then offered it to Millicent, who was sitting next to her. Millicent sniffed and nodded, agreeing.

Dean Thomas sighed dramatically and said, “Well, Pansy, I am just a poor student right now, so that’s the best I could do. But, maybe in a few years, I can afford to give you the top notch stuff.” His teasing grin gleamed white against his dark skin. Pansy grimaced back at him, but it was remarkably without malice.

Surprisingly, she managed a creditable, “I do like it, Dean. Thank you.”

Dean blinked, taken aback, but accepted the proverbial white flag. “You’re welcome. I’m just glad you’re not allergic to it!” More titters greeted his frank admission. “I got a variety pack of Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes. There’s a little bit of everything in it. Some fireworks, gags, Skiving Snackbox stuff, and even a bottle of Disappearing Ink…”

Both Snape and Hermione snapped to attention, zeroing in on the oblivious boy. For a fraction of a second, their gazes met, senses on red alert, before they hastily looked away again.

Trelawney’s dreamy voice attracted everyone’s attention. “I remember the Misters Weasley quite fondly. Considering their successful endeavour into business, I thought it was the least I could do to support them. Besides, I understand that you young people quite enjoy those types of things…”

Dean’s smile was strained, as he was fighting down an inappropriate snort of amusement. “We do indeed, Professor. Thank you.”

“Oh, you’re quite welcome, dear boy—” She was interrupted by Dumbledore’s satisfied declaration.

“There! That’s everyone. Now,” and he turned eagerly to Snape, “I’d like to know just how you and Miss Granger managed to come up with the same gift idea!” He gazed attentively at Snape, a small smile on his lips.

Snape cut a glance at Hermione, collecting his thoughts, immediately weighing whether it would be better to fudge matters or to just tell the truth. He’s likely to ask her as well, so just stick to the plain facts. First step in getting away with things: don’t offer more details than you need to; they only give you more places in which to trip up.

Straightening regally in his chair, he nonchalantly rippled his fingers in a casual wave of dismissal. His voice was silky as he said, “Oh, it’s quite simple, really. When you sent us to London for the play, Miss Granger’s mother prepared chocolate mousse for dessert. It was quite delicious. I remembered her parents’ comments on how much she enjoyed chocolate, which was evident when we partook of the dish that night. As you had mentioned that making a gift was desirable, I thought it would be a safe bet that Miss Granger would appreciate such a gift. Therefore, I made what you see before you.” He pointed at the bowl in Hermione’s lap.

Everyone’s eyes darted between Snape, Hermione, and Dumbledore. Hermione had forced herself to breathe normally through Snape’s explanation, admiring how unremarkable he made it all sound. Damn, he’s a good Slytherin…

Dumbledore blinked a few times, then turned to Hermione. “Hmm. So, tell me, my dear, how did you come to the same conclusion as Professor Snape?”

Hermione took a page from Snape’s book on how to dissemble and calmly retorted, “Well, just like Professor Snape said, my mother made mousse for dessert. Professor Snape complimented her on it, and I thought, if he enjoyed it, I could easily get the recipe from my mum.” She brashly held Dumbledore’s gaze, projecting innocent coincidence.

Dumbledore looked from one to the other, a bemused expression on his face. “Extraordinary…”

Desperately, Snape cut in, “Really, Albus, there’s nothing extraordinary about it. It’s a coincidence, based on the same circumstances. It’s quite logical, if you think about it.” He shot an exasperated look at the old man, hoping he would move on instead of dwelling on it, afraid he might be tempted to ask too many dangerous questions. Feeling the nervous sweat prickling his skin, he forced himself to maintain an expression of utter boredom.

He suppressed a relieved sigh as Dumbledore stood, gesturing expansively. “Well, I am pleased that our little venture was a success. Everyone did quite well. We have the rest of the evening to ourselves to enjoy. Have fun! And Happy Christmas to Hogwarts’ Phantom family!”

Cheers erupted around the circle, and people started milling about, showing off their gifts, thanking each other again, and waxing enthusiastic. Some upbeat, more modern music began, and several students took to the floor to dance. Small clusters of friends stood about, more interested in their holiday gifts and outfits than in the disconcerting appearance and behaviour of their Potions Master, and they ignored Snape. Hermione stood, glancing surreptitiously at Snape. He caught her eye and tilted his head toward the refreshment tables. She immediately strode to them.

Snape stood lazily, straightening his clothes before crossing to the refreshments as well. He slid behind them, stopping across from Hermione. Glancing at her with a faint, amused smile hovering on his lips, he picked up a spoon and held it out to her. She grinned back and took it.

“I do hope it is to your liking.” Snape’s voice was low and sultry. Hermione bit her lip at the tingle that raced through her. Deliberately, she dipped her spoon in the mousse, locking eyes with Snape as she slowly licked it clean. She saw his jaw twitch as he clenched his teeth, watching her tongue snake across the spoon.

Involuntarily, her eyes closed in bliss at the delicious flavour. Savouring it, she finally slipped the spoon from her mouth, opening her glazed eyes and looking up at him. Her pulse raced as she rasped, “It’s wonderful, Professor. Not exactly like my mum’s, but divine nonetheless. What recipe did you use?” She was gamely trying to calm herself, asking polite questions to distract herself from his appearance.

Snape picked up a spoon and served up a portion of his mousse. Before he ate it, he murmured, “Oh, I managed to acquire a recipe from none other than Florean Fortescue himself.” He cast a smug glance at her as his lips closed around his spoon.

Hermione’s eyes widened, both aroused—remembering those same lips closing around her nipples—and impressed. “Wow! No wonder it’s so good.” After a slight pause, she queried, “How is it, sir?” tilting her head at the mousse she had made for him.

He regarded her from under half-closed lids. One corner of his mouth quirked up as he purred, “Delicious.” Hermione suppressed a shiver at the memories he evoked. Her eyes closed for a moment. Then, as Snape said, “I miss the whipped cream. And I must open that jar of cherries soon…” her eyes snapped open again, blazing with desire. Snape snorted mildly. Briskly, he picked up the jar of cherries and opened it with a pop. Reaching in with deft fingers, he withdrew one cherry by its stem. The bright red liquid dripped into the jar. Politely, he asked, “Would you care for one, Miss Granger?”

Hermione licked her lips and breathed, “Yes, please.” Snape offered her the fruit and she delicately plucked it from his fingers, languidly bringing it to her mouth and sucking it in. Snape’s intense gaze never left that cherry. Hermione pulled the stem from it and chewed. Snape shot a furtive glance around to see if anyone were watching their exchange. Focusing once again on Hermione, he exhaled forcefully. Hermione smiled. Cherry stem in hand, she put her mousse back in its box and looked up at Snape through her lashes. “I’m going to put this away for now. It’s really quite delicious, sir. Thank you.” Her fingers caressed the choker, and she murmured, “For everything…”

Snape inclined his head in acknowledgement. “It was my pleasure, Miss Granger. Quite.” He followed her lead and packaged his mousse back up, tucking the jar of cherries in securely. Tilting his head at the gift table, he began crossing to it, Hermione trailing after him. They both placed the boxes on the table, locking eyes one more time. His voice a low rumble, so low that Hermione strained to hear him, he said, “And, I believe you’ll find it interesting to know that ‘Erik is dead.’” He pinned her with a meaningful stare, his gratitude and wonder visible in the black depths.

She blinked in surprise. Her eyebrows rose as she rasped, “Already?” Then, she gazed up into his face and saw how much he appreciated her surprise. Hermione felt her love for him surging forward. Beaming at him, she whispered, “Yes, that is quite interesting…” She cast a quick glance at the rest of the cast, noting that Ginny was watching her. Frowning, she turned back to Snape. She rolled her eyes in Ginny’s direction. He flicked a glance at the redhead and nodded almost imperceptibly, his lips thinning, and the crackling light in his eyes dimming. Hermione sighed as she realized she had to move away from Snape, lest it invite more questions. Politely, she said, “Happy Christmas, Professor. And thank you again.”

Snape nodded to her and drawled, “Good evening, Miss Granger.” She flashed a tiny regretful smile and walked off, leaving him at the table alone. Black eyes bored into her as she moved, causing that familiar tingle to flow over her.

As Hermione sat at an empty table, she noticed that she still had the cherry stem in her hand. A wicked grin slid across her face, and she popped the stem into her mouth. Several moments later, she pulled it out, tied in a knot. Giggling to herself, she palmed it, wondering when she could deliver it to Snape.

Suddenly, there was a commotion amongst the students. Bursts of laughter were rippling through the throng. Hermione peered over at the people milling on the dance floor, trying to see what they were all focused on. Squeals erupted from within the crowd. Curious, Hermione rose and crossed to the others, wondering what was going on. As she shouldered through the outer ring, she saw a sprig of mistletoe hovering in the air, seemingly targeted on people. Apparently, Dumbledore had turned it loose on the dancers, as he was sitting to one side chuckling, a long-suffering Minerva beside him.

Snape wondered what was going on, and stealthily glided around to the students. He saw the mistletoe bobbing above their heads and shook his head, pinching the bridge of his nose as he cast a resigned glance at the laughing headmaster. He stood off to one side, positioning himself so he could see Hermione in the circle. She was staring about, a bemused smile on her lips.

It looked as if the mistletoe wouldn’t move on from one person until that person was kissed. It wafted over to Harry, and Ginny shot a warning glare at the other girls before stretching up on tiptoe to kiss him. Then, the sprig floated over to Ron. He grinned lopsidedly and spread his hands out.

“All right, ladies, who gets to be the lucky one?” Snorts and barks of laughter met his quip, and the girls all looked at each other.

In the pause, Draco piped up, “Looks like no one wants to kiss you, Weasley.” He and the Slytherin girls laughed haughtily.

Ron’s eyes narrowed, and he looked as if he would let his fists answer Draco, but he was interrupted by Susan stepping forward.

Laying a restraining hand on his arm, she shot a venomous look at the Slytherins before saying, “I do!” Ron’s brows shot up as he regarded her in surprise. Susan smiled shyly at him and added, “Thank you for the lovely gift, Ron.” She stretched up and kissed him sweetly on the cheek. Flushing, she looked down again.

Ron’s ears turned pink, and he rumbled, “You’re welcome.” Susan’s hand remained on his arm, and he looked at her thoughtfully. The mistletoe moved on.

It stopped at Neville, who immediately blushed uncomfortably. Dean stepped forward, a huge grin splitting his face. “Come here, Neville!” As he closed in on Neville, Neville swatted at him, shoving him away.

In a low voice, Neville mumbled, “Oh, sod off, you!”

Dean yelped in pain at the sharp thwack across his skull. He whipped around to see Parvati glaring at him. Disgustedly, she hissed, “Honestly, Dean! Grow up…” Then, she stepped forward, smiling at a stunned Neville, and cupped his cheeks, kissing him full on the mouth. Hoots and catcalls sounded around them. When she pulled back, Neville’s eyes were glazed over, and she smirked, satisfied. When Neville didn’t blink, she waved a hand in front of his face. “Neville?”

He started and shook his head. “Huh?” Everyone laughed again.

Parvati patted Neville’s cheek and gently said, “Happy Christmas, Neville.”

He still seemed a bit dazed as he replied, “You, too.” Sniggers rippled through the group again as they watched the mistletoe floating. It hovered over Hermione, who stared up at it warily.

When it was obvious that it wasn’t going to continue on, she couldn’t help but flick a glance at Snape. His posture was stiff, and his glare was cold and menacing. Ginny noticed where Hermione was looking, and gazed at Snape as well. She was taken aback by the intensity of his disapproval. Pulling back and hiding behind Harry, she furtively glanced back and forth between Hermione and Snape.

Hermione shot a cautious glance around the group, her cheeks growing hot under the scrutiny. Finally, she saw movement, and she zeroed in on Colin crossing toward her. His Adam’s apple kept bobbing as he swallowed convulsively. Nervously, he cleared his throat and said, “Thanks for helping me with the gift exchange.” He tilted his head meaningfully and darted in to kiss her like he had when he had left her room the night they had changed Secret Santa names.

With a tight smile, she said, “You’re welcome. Don’t worry about it.” She glanced apprehensively at Snape again, knowing how possessive he was, from his actions with Neal, and his letters. Ginny frowned as she saw Hermione looking at Snape again.

Snape was standing behind a chair, his hands gripping the back of it so tightly that his knuckles showed white through the skin. His lips were thinned into a forbidding line, and his scowl was harsh. Hermione heaved a huge sigh of relief when the mistletoe floated away. She deftly extricated herself from the group, noticing that Ron and Susan were off to one side talking, and Harry and Ginny were backing away from the outer edge. She quickly escaped to the gift table, relaxing once again when she looked at the two bowls of mousse. A tender smile crossed her lips. She didn’t see Ginny eyeing her from across the room.

Snape watched Hermione through slitted lids. As inconspicuously as possible, he backed away from the chair, sidling to one side. He shot one last foreboding glance at the oblivious Colin before he smoothly strode to the refreshment table, catching Hermione’s eye on the way. She looked up at him sheepishly. It was obvious to her that he was extremely jealous, but she had no idea what to do about it. She sent him an imploring glance and a watery smile. Shrugging lamely, she looked down again, toying with the spoon in her mousse. Snape filled a cup with punch and tossed it back like a shot. Grinding his teeth, he tried to compose himself.

Neither of them saw bright brown eyes trained on them from afar.

As casually as he could, Snape strode to the gift table again. He tilted his head forward, wishing his hair could hide his face as usual. Head bent, he muttered, “So, just what did you do to help Mr. Creevey with his gift?” Insecure jealousy made his voice acidic.

Hermione pointed to the label on Snape’s gift and said, “I traded names with him.” Snape’s head shot up and he stared at her through wide eyes.

Incredulous, he snapped “You what?”

Hermione nodded slightly. “He drew your name. He begged me to trade with him. Poor boy was petrified. Can’t imagine why…” She quirked one eyebrow at him sardonically. Snape huffed. “So, I thought it would be in everyone’s best interests to trade with him.” She gazed at him calmly before looking down again. In a faint voice, she added, “I had no idea you had my name too. I just wanted to do something nice for you.”

Snape blinked rapidly. Awed love fought with baseless jealousy, driving it away. Finally, his shoulders relaxed, and he ran a hand through his hair, feeling the wisps falling back against his face. Sighing, he murmured, “I’m sorry, Hermione.”

She glanced back up at him, and their gazes locked. A joyful smile slowly crept across Hermione’s face. Across the Hall, Ginny’s eyes widened in stunned recognition of that look.

Hermione remembered the cherry stem in her hand and giggled. Snape cocked an eyebrow at her in query. With a mischievous smirk, she reached over and placed the knotted stem on top of the jar in his box. Snape’s eyes goggled and he inhaled sharply. He pinned her with an intense gaze, full of lust. Hermione gasped in response, the smirk melting away into an answering look of desire.

Ginny choked. Coughing, she tore her gaze away from the unlikely pair at the gift table. Harry solicitously turned to her. “Are you okay?”

Ginny waved a hand at him and nodded, coughing. Gasping, she said, “I just need a drink.”

“I’ll get one for you…” Harry started to rise, but she stood quickly and put her hand on his shoulder, pushing him back down in his seat.

“No. I’ll get it. Don’t worry about it.” She looked up to see that Snape and Hermione were no longer at the gift table. Snape was watching the students dancing, and Hermione was admiring Susan’s figurine, sitting at the table with her and Ron.

Hastily crossing to the refreshment table, Ginny got a drink and sipped it, nonchalantly walking over to the gift table. She picked up her calendar, pretending to look at it again, but her keen eyes sought out Snape’s mousse. Brow furrowed, she saw the knotted cherry stem on the jar lid. Once again, she froze, dumbfounded.

What in bloody blazes is going on here? Ginny dropped her calendar back on the table and resolutely made her way to Hermione.

“Hey, Ron. Hi, Susan, Hermione. Um, ‘Mione, can I talk to you for a minute?” She tilted her head meaningfully at the other girl, pinning her with an intense stare.

Ron nodded at Hermione and rippled his fingers. “Go ahead. I’ll see you later.” He then turned his attention back to Susan. Hermione knew a dismissal when she heard one.

Standing, she stepped away from the table and looked at Ginny with concern. “Is everything okay? You look like something’s wrong.”

Ginny cocked an eyebrow at her and said, “Can we go to your room and talk?”

Hermione frowned at her in puzzlement. “What’s wrong?”

Ginny gripped Hermione’s wrist and murmured, “I need to talk to you. In private.”

Hermione glanced over at Harry and sighed, “Ginny, I can just give you the password to my room so you two can go. I’m not going to renege on my part of the deal…”

Ginny squeezed her wrist again and said, “Not yet. I really need to talk to you first.”

Glancing at Ginny curiously, Hermione muttered, “All right. Let’s go.” Ginny started toward Harry, pulling Hermione with her. “Gin! You can let go now.” Ginny cast her an appraising look and dropped her wrist. Hermione rubbed it idly as she followed the redhead over to Harry.

Ginny smiled winningly at Harry as they arrived. “Hey there! Listen, I’ll be back in a little while. Um, Hermione and I have to go take care of something. Don’t go anywhere! The evening’s not over yet…” She cocked an eyebrow at him suggestively and he grinned back.

“No worries. Just don’t be too long, okay?”

“Sure thing!” Ginny blew him a kiss and made a beeline for the door, Hermione in her wake.

They walked in silence down the corridor to the stairs. Hermione kept glancing at her friend, perplexed. “Ginny, what’s wrong?”

Ginny made a slashing gesture with her hand and barked, “Not here!” Hermione jumped in surprise and shut her mouth with a snap. They trekked up to Hermione’s room without another word.

When Hermione had shut the door behind them, Ginny whirled on her, her arms crossed, her expression serious.

“All right, Hermione, spill it! Just what is going on between you and Snape?”


Phantom of Hogwarts by Good_Witch [Reviews - 94]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved