Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
General

Phantom of Hogwarts by Good_Witch [Reviews - 20]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Standard disclaimer goes here. I just play with them; JKR created them.

Author's Note: Well, here we are dashing through the end of the school year in this chapter. Finally, we're covering May and into June, when more important things will happen. As far as Real Life goes, my school stuff sucks rocks this term and seems like a huge waste of time and effort. Meh. And work... well, I'm facing losing my job soon (before summer), so I've been dealing with that stress. As always, keep up with my goings-on at my Livejournal: http://pern-dragon.livejournal.com/ Deep, profound gratitude goes out to my amazing beta, Ladyofthemasque (who is celebrating her birthday today--Happy Birthday, darlin!). Hope you lot are well, and thanks as always for sticking around. We're MUCH closer to the end now (it's really in sight!). Hope you enjoy our whirlwind tour through May... :)
Cheers!
Nicole
Good_Witch
pern_dragon

Chapter 68- Countdown

The seventh-year students were in full swing of studying feverishly for N.E.W.T.s when May 1st rolled around, bringing with it another notice for the cast members to show up for a meeting that Friday night after dinner. The notice was up at breakfast, and the cast spent the day being distracted from their class work, wondering what on earth they could be needed for again.

After dinner, the other students vacated the Hall, leaving the cast to remain, anxious frowns of perplexity showing the varied amounts of strain they were feeling, particularly the seventh-years, as their exams began in just one short month!

Dumbledore stood at his chair at the High Table and waved his wand, once again Summoning the circle of chairs and Banishing the long tables and benches. The professors joined the students in the circle, but the seating arrangements were very different than the first time they had done so. There was no longer such rigid separation between House members, and students and teachers alike exchanged warm greetings. Hermione was grateful that she was no longer the only one willing to smile at Snape, and was doubly grateful that he now returned friendly greetings in kind.

When everyone was seated, Dumbledore fished another Ministry-sealed scroll from within his robes and flourished it, drawing everyone’s attention. The group subsided into expectant silence.

“Welcome, everyone. I have here an exciting message from the Ministry.” He paused to grin at them. “Not only will the Ministry be at our Leaving Feast to present our trophy and prize for winning the competition, they have requested that we do a reprise of our performance as a reminder of why we deserved to win.” He was interrupted by a combination of pleased gasps and disgruntled groans. Frowning, he gazed around the circle and stopped at one of those who were clearly not enthused about the idea.

“Mr. Weasley, you seem rather put out by the idea. Would you care to tell me why?”

Ron’s ears went pink and he seemed to writhe in his seat as he rubbed the back of his neck, saying, “It’s just… if we have to perform again, that means we have to rehearse again, and that means time away from being able to study!”

McGonagall, both amused and gratified, said, “Mr. Weasley, since when have you been so concerned about studying?”

Ron cast a glance at Susan and straightened in his chair, affecting an air of dignity even as his ears went bright red. “It’s N.E.W.T.s, Professor.” It was all he said, as if it was all that needed to be said. Both McGonagall and Dumbledore chuckled faintly in understanding, and even Snape gave a soft snort.

Dumbledore was smiling fondly at his charges. “Indeed, Mr. Weasley. Exams begin in exactly one month, so I see how you might be concerned.”

Colin, who had it easier, being only in sixth year, asked, “Sir, are we to do the entire play again? Won’t that make the Feast take much longer than usual?”

Dumbledore nodded at Colin and said, “Excellent point, Mr. Creevey. Funny you should ask that, as it turns out we are not being asked to reprise the whole thing. The Ministry has requested that we choose a few scenes to perform, mainly the songs. But, as we have which ones left to our discretion, I would like to know what you think would be good choices.” He gazed around the circle expectantly.

When he was met with blank looks or expressions of consternation, he took a deep breath and said, “May I suggest ‘Masquerade’ through ‘Why So Silent,’ as it includes the whole cast?”

Students exchanged glances, nodding and murmuring approval at the idea. Hermione piped up, “That is a good scene, as it not only has the whole cast, it also shows the triangle that is the crux of the story.” More nods followed her statement.

Dumbledore gazed about again and said, “Well? Anyone?”

While everyone blinked as they pondered, Millicent lifted her hand tentatively.

“Yes, Miss Bulstrode?”

Millicent glanced at Hermione and Snape, then said, “Well… if, like Hermione said, the Masquerade scene is good for telling the story, then I think Professor Snape should sing ‘Music of the Night’ because it’s the scene that shows just how important Christine is to the Phantom… which is the whole point of the play.” She trailed off as she finished, ducking her head and staring at the floor, avoiding the astonished faces turned toward her.

McGonagall, pleased to see the introverted girl speaking up and stepping out from her Slytherin mates’ shadows, beamed at Millicent and promptly said, “What a wonderful suggestion, Miss Bulstrode. That’s an excellent point.”

Millicent dared to peek up at the professor, a faint smile tugging at her lips. When she glanced around the circle and saw not only Snape nodding at her approvingly but several of the other cast members smiling in agreement, she slowly sat up straighter in her seat, cheeks flushed but clearly pleased with herself.

Snape, upon hearing Millicent’s reasoning for suggesting ‘Music of the Night,’ immediately began thinking about how important Hermione was to him, and a spark of an idea flared, sending a sizzle through him and leaving his heart beating faster in excitement.

Dumbledore prodded, “I think one more song or scene should do it. What do you think?”

Snape swallowed and tamped down his reaction, managing to sound perfectly calm and reasonable when he said, “Well, if we are to follow such a logical line of reasoning in choosing scenes, then I daresay ‘Point of No Return’ is the last scene we should do. Well, up to the part where they disappear, which means it would include that ‘All I Ask of You’ reprise.”

Hermione felt a pang of jealousy at the wide-eyed faces of the girls who were nodding vigorously, but quashed it with the knowledge that she would be the only one to experience such a connection with Snape first-hand, and realizing that the scene was a very compelling one.

Dumbledore clapped his hands on his lap and said, “Done! Excellent. We’ll plan for those three scenes, and we’ll be sure to schedule rehearsals after exams are done, while you’re waiting for your results.” He chuckled at the relieved sighs around him. “Very well then, we are adjourned. I’ll post a notice later when we’ll be having rehearsal. Keep studying, and I’m sure you’ll all do well on your exams. Good night!”

The cast shot to their feet, some talking about the new performance and others talking about the assignments they were heading back to work on in their common rooms. Snape, still burning with the idea that had come to him minutes before, strode quickly for the doors, then realized that Dumbledore surely wouldn’t end the spell since he’d have to use it for this last performance. Stopping short, his lips spread in a grin as he Disapparated.

Down in his quarters, Snape searched through the stacks of papers on his dining table, murmuring to himself, “That doesn’t leave much time…” He irritably shoved pages out of his way as he searched for a particular book, then huffed in exasperation. Fine! I’ll just send Fern what I have for now and get it out of my way! Gathering several stacks, he ruthlessly patted them into a single stack, then stuffed them into a large envelope. Scrawling Fern’s address, he summoned a house-elf.

When the elf arrived, he proffered the package, saying, “Please take this to the Owlery and send it to the address on the front. Thank you.” The elf bowed deeply, clutching the envelope to its thin chest, before disappearing again. With a deep sigh, he peered at titles of several of the books spread over his table, finally choosing one and retiring to his chair before the hearth, brow furrowed in concentration as he read.

***** *****

Sunday morning, Snape was surprised by an owl bearing a fairly thick package for him from Fern. What on earth could she be sending me now? I just sent her all the ideas I had so far… Brow furrowed, he set the package aside until he finished breakfast, then hurriedly departed to his quarters to open it.

At his once-again-untidy dining table, he let out a gasp as he opened the package and read the words printed on the pages inside. Thank the gods I didn’t open this up there, or there would really be questions! The pages were crisp and white, uniform in size, with black ink print and colour pictures—unmoving—scattered throughout.

And they were all about gemstones.

Baffled, Snape pawed through the packaging and found a handwritten note from Fern.

“Severus,

I couldn’t help but do a little searching on the internet for you when I found your notes mixed in with potions ideas. I know you must have some wizarding resources about stones and such, but I thought you might like to have more information about gems from the Muggle side too. At any rate, the whole thing caught my fancy when I realized you were clearly looking to make a
ring. I must say, I look forward to meeting your intended. Do let me know if I can be of service, even if I have rather stuck my nose in uninvited already.

Cheers!”


Snape’s eyes were wide. What a careless mistake, you daft prat! Just be glad she’s new here and quite likely won’t know many people to possibly let slip that you’re looking for an engagement ring! He covered his face with his hand and took a deep breath. Determinedly calming his quickened pulse, he crumpled the note in one hand while lifting the pages for perusal.

After a cursory skim through the first dozen or so, he relaxed even more. At least her meddling is more serendipitous than most. There is definitely some good information here.

***** *****

After several days of research and culling details, Snape made a final list and sketch of what he wanted, including the reasons why he picked the stone he had chosen, so he could explain the multi-fold significance later.

He was at Spinner’s End Friday afternoon, surveying the progress with the basement lab before the workers left for the day, pondering whether he should return to Hogwarts for dinner or remain there. Over the past several weeks, he had slowly been adding to his home: bits of furniture and kitchen utensils, basic foodstuffs, linens and toilet sundries. While he didn’t have major furniture items yet, he could always transfigure something temporarily if he needed it. In truth, if he hadn’t needed to be at Hogwarts so much as Head of Slytherin, he might have stayed the night already. All of the repainting and new flooring was finished, having been done by one team of workers while another began the more in-depth structural excavating for the new basement.

It had been eye-opening when he had begun receiving the bills for the Muggle utilities. Casting a scrutinizing eye at his savings and his projected costs for the refurbishment, Snape reflected on how relieved he was that he had work lined up already.

Crossing through his living room again, Snape noticed that the stack of boxes and crates from Fern had grown again. As soon as the lab was complete, he would transfer those cases of vials and bottles and assorted ingredients downstairs. A faint smile of satisfaction and anticipation quirked his lips as he considered his shiny, new future.

***** *****

In Wednesday’s Advanced Potions Class, in which Snape set the class to beginning the potions they would have to complete for their practical exams, Snape found himself furtively staring at Hermione’s hands—particularly her left one, imagining what it might look like bearing his ring. A sort of electric fire raced through his belly and made it tighten and tremble. Barely more than a month until the Feast. I wonder how she’ll react. I’m fairly certain how everyone else will react…

When class ended, and everyone was putting their things away, Snape watched Hermione, noting that she looked tired. “Miss Granger.” She glanced up at him in question and he beckoned. “Come here.”

Brow furrowed, Hermione laid her bag on her table and stepped up to his desk. “Yes, Professor?”

Snape narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms, eyeing her. After a long moment, he said, “You have clearly been studying too hard. Your eyes are tired, your skin is pale, and you look worn out.” Hermione’s eyes widened at his summation, and she blinked in shock when he turned to the rest of the class. “Miss Granger is not the only one who has been overextending. Must I remind you that, to perform your best on your N.E.W.T.s, you cannot be stretched to the breaking point? Yes, study. Revise, of course. Practice if you must. But take time to rest, and eat properly, and give yourself a break, lest you break yourself.”

Everyone gazed at him soberly as he cast a stern glare over the assembled class. “This is one lesson that you must learn well. Consider it part of your homework.” Startled nods met his words, and he uncrossed his arms, propping his hands on his desk as he stood, brusquely adding, “Off with you.”

Hermione nodded and scurried back to grab her bulging bag. The rest of the class vacated hastily, leaving Hermione with Snape. After a quick glance at the doorway, Snape glided down from his desk and stopped to tower over Hermione, murmuring, “Must I check personally that you are resting as instructed?”

Hermione gasped and bit her lip, slanting a cagey look up at him. Her whisper was barely audible as she said, “We both know that if you were to do that, neither of us would end up getting any rest.”

Snape averted his eyes at the jolt of arousal that sang through him. Grimacing in sour defeat, he retorted, “No doubt.” Backing away, he growled, “Fine. I’ll wait. But not for much longer.”

Hermione heaved a sigh of regret and said, “I know how you feel. Less than a month ‘til exams are over, and I’ll get the rest I need.” She fixed him with a sly look, smirking.

Snape’s smirk mirrored hers as he purred, “I’ll make sure of that…”

Flashing a smile, Hermione spun and hurried from the room, leaving Snape to gaze after her, gut fluttering again at his plan for the Leaving Feast.

***** *****

Saturday, Snape surprised himself by going to McGonagall’s office after breakfast. The door was open, and she was busy grading when he walked up, pausing on the threshold to knock on the jamb.

Her distracted “Yes?” turned into a surprised “Oh—Severus! What are you doing here?”

Snape hesitated in the doorway, seemingly unwilling to actually enter. McGonagall realized how unwelcoming she must have sounded and shot up from her desk, bustling around it to draw Snape in. Grimacing, she said, “I didn’t mean it like that. Here, have a seat. It’s just… you’ve never come to my office before. Is everything all right?”

Snape looked at her concerned expression and glanced at her hand still gripping his. A frisson of worry about her reaction to his relationship with Hermione curbed his instinctively acerbic reaction and he said, “Yes, everything is fine. I was merely hoping you might be willing to look after my House for the day, as I need to take care of some more business for my home, and I could be gone for most of the day and evening.”

McGonagall released his hand and clasped hers at her chin, beaming at him. “Of course I will! You can count on me, my dear. You run along and do whatever you need to do, and I’ll make sure everything is fine here. I doubt there’ll be much to worry over, what with the students all preparing for exams.” She patted his forearm and nodded. “Rest easy on this account, Severus. I’m here to help.”

Snape inclined his head in gratitude and stood. “You have my thanks, Minerva. Things are progressing apace, and the work is going smoothly. Your recommendations were excellent.”

McGonagall rose and returned to her desk. “I couldn’t be happier to hear it. Enjoy your day.”

Snape flashed a smile and nodded as he left, striding down the corridor before Apparating to his quarters again. Flooing to Spinner’s End, he took out his list of wizarding shops and concentrated on Apparating to the first one.

Throughout the day, he visited several jewellery shops, perusing their stock and interviewing their craftsmen. After pausing for a quick lunch, eaten standing up in his kitchen as he jotted notes from his jaunts, he Flooed back to his quarters to change into his Muggle wear.

Concealing himself, he Apparated to the same telephone box he had called Graham Moore from previously. A stealthy glance around told him when it was safe to lift his concealment charm. Using the directory, he made a list of Muggle shops to visit, noting their locations on the map he had purchased for this excursion. For the first time in a long time, Snape used the underground to make his way to each shop.

It was late in the afternoon when he entered one small storefront. The place was quite crowded with displays and counters and seemed more like an antique shop than just a jewellery store. The décor leant toward the mystical, and put Snape in mind of Fern. Incense burned behind a counter, and the walls—what could be seen of them behind shelves and cases—were draped with scarves and punctuated with sculptures. Snape recognized the Celtic imagery from some of the pages Fern had sent him.

As the chime from the bell on the door faded, a woman came out from the back to greet Snape, the beaded curtain she stepped through rattling behind her.

“Welcome. How may I help you today?”

Snape crossed to the large display counter where she stood attentively and said, “I’m looking at rings.”

Brightening, she flourished her hand at the display, saying, “Ah! Here we have a lovely selection. Are you looking for anything in particular?”

Snape peered down at the rings and sucked in a sharp breath. Head snapping up to gaze intently at the woman, he pointed and said, his low voice belying his urgency, “That one. I want to see that one.”

She opened the back of the case and picked out the ring he indicated. “Yes, a beautiful choice. If you’ll look closely, you can see that it’s really two rings. The outer ring with the stone contains the inner band that provides the background.” Deftly, she separated the two pieces, and Snape’s eyes burned with interest.

“Is that silver?”

Shaking her head, she said, “No. It’s white gold. Silver is too soft, unable to withstand wear and tear in such detail. Of course, the colour is silver, and it does blend nicely with the yellow gold of the inner part, don’t you think?”

Snape carefully took the gold coloured band from her fingers and studied it. The woman continued, “Of course, it is still thick enough that the inside can be engraved, if you like.” Snape nodded, proffering the band and shifting his attention to the other part as she traded it with him.

Before she could speak again, Snape asked, “This is a diamond, I presume?”

“Oh, yes, and quite a lovely one indeed. Its cut is really…” She trailed off at his irritated scowl, taken aback.

Snape straightened again, holding the ring out at arm’s length and grimacing. Heaving a disappointed sigh, he murmured, “Of course it is…” Huffing again, he brusquely asked, “How much is it?”

Her voice faltering, the woman named the price, and Snape’s jaw twitched as he clenched his teeth. Grasping at straws, the woman asked, “Is it out of your price range?”

Snape waved his hand and snorted. “It certainly is, based on the fact that it’s not exactly what I want.”

“Well, what’s wrong with it?” She had a bit of trouble keeping the affronted note out of her voice.

Snape’s eyes were roaming over the rest of the rings on display, and he didn’t notice her indignation. “I don’t want a bloody diamond.”

Taking note of his restless gaze, the tense set of his jaw, and the deep worry line between his brows, the woman could tell how invested he was in the ring. Realizing that this intense man would likely jump at a chance to get what he wanted, and ensure her a sale, she slowly said, “What if I told you I could change the stone for whatever you liked?”

Snape’s eyes widened as he snapped his gaze to hers. The woman blinked under the weight of his stare, but managed not to flinch. Snape’s voice was low and earnest as he said, “Can you?”

Taking the ring from his fingers, she put both pieces together and eyed the stone. “Of course. Changing the stone is easy. I’m sure I could find something else worthy of such a quality diamond…” She tilted her head and peered at him with curious eyes. “If you don’t mind me asking—what’s wrong with a ‘bloody diamond’ anyway? This is an exquisite specimen.”

Snape fixed her with an aggrieved glare and said, “Tell me, what kind of ring is that?”

Shrugging, she said, “It’s actually an engagement and wedding ring set. Why?”

“How do you know it’s an engagement ring?”

“Well, I was told so when it was brought to me…”

“Fine, but wouldn’t you say it’s an engagement ring just because you saw a diamond?”

Perplexed, she said, “Well, yes…”

Snape tossed his head and gestured dramatically. “See? That’s what everyone thinks. It’s so… commonplace.”

Verging on offended again, the woman drawled, “Some people would rather call it traditional.”

Snape rolled his eyes and huffed. His voice oozing with annoyance, he said, “Semantics. I don’t want something like what anyone might get. I want something singular. Unique. Special.”

Rolling her eyes right back at him, she retorted, “All right then, what exactly would make this extremely unusual ring special enough for you?”

Snape straightened with frosty dignity, gazing down his nose at the woman. After a pause, he said, “I want a garnet. A deep, red garnet. Not pale. Not brown. Not rusty. Not dull. A garnet with fire in its heart and a gleam from within.”

The woman wilted from her aggressive pose, blinking at the unexpectedness of hearing what almost sounded like poetry from the taciturn man. The silence stretched on between them, until the woman finally said, “I believe I can find what you’re looking for. And, of course, the price would go down.”

Snape relaxed a trifle and said, “Do you have the stones on hand, or shall I make an appointment to come back?”

Clearing her throat as she placed the ring back in the display, the woman said, “I have a supplier. I’ll make a few selections from which you may make your choice. At that time, once I know which stone you’ve chosen, I can give you an adjusted price.”

Snape inclined his head and said, “I look forward to it. Shall I come back next week?”

Crossing to the till to grab a business card, the woman said, “Yes, that should work out fine, Mr. …?”

“Snape. And you are…?”

“Moira. Moira Connell. I shall look forward to your arrival next week, Mr. Snape.”

Snape reached into the pocket of his trench coat and pulled out a wad of money. Peeling off some notes, he gravely offered them to the woman. “Here. Consider this earnest money. I will be back, and I expect that ring to still be here.”

Moira narrowed her eyes at him, but she quickly wrote out a receipt for the amount and gave him a copy of the slip. “It will be. And I’ll have the garnets for you, just as I said. Until next week, Mr. Snape. Good evening.” She nodded in dismissal, and Snape nodded back.

“Good evening to you.” With a final look at the ring in the case, Snape spun and exited the shop. Quickly walking to a nearby alley, he Disapparated in the shadows.

***** *****

The following Wednesday, Snape stood behind his desk—arms crossed—and surveyed the class, giving them pause as they wondered why he hadn’t begun the lesson yet. When the students began exchanging nervous glances, Snape uncrossed his arms and slowly made his way through the room, eyeing each student in turn before making his way back up to his desk.

The curiosity was palpable until he spoke. “Most of you, I daresay, would merit an ‘E’ on your homework for today.” Panicked faces gazed up at him as students racked their brains, trying to remember what they were supposed to have turned in. A tiny, amused smirk quirked his lips. Then, when comprehension dawned on at least one face, his smirk widened and he took his seat with a low chuckle.

Propping his elbow on the arm of his chair and resting his chin in his hand, he remained silent while the furtive whispers of demands for explanations and reminders of his admonition from the previous week rippled through the group. Once everyone had been apprised of his meaning, the room fell quiet again, but the array of accusing, exasperated, relieved, sour, amused, and wary expressions made him stifle another chuckle behind his fingers.

Leaning forward and clasping his hands on his desk, he said, “Most of you look more refreshed this week than last. However, a few of you could still use a bit more rest and taking better care of yourself. I’ll not be recording an actual mark for this assignment, since your application to it will undoubtedly have effects on your exams anyway.” Raking the class with another stern glare, he continued, “Proceed with your potions, and bear in mind what I’ve said. Follow my instructions, and you’ll reap the benefits. Ignore them, and…” The dire warning was left hanging in the air as students began moving to collect their supplies.

Although he repeatedly circled through the class to keep an eye on everyone’s progress, he kept finding himself back at Hermione’s table, forcing himself to keep moving, even as his gaze fell on her left hand again. Every time he consciously thought about the ring, the excitement simmering in his belly would flare up to a rolling boil.

Less than a month now…

***** *****

As the final weeks before exams went on, Snape’s time was interrupted by calls from Madam Pomfrey for more soothing potions. Every time he took more stores up to the hospital wing, he perused her list of students who had applied for relief. A sense of pride sparked when he realized that none of his Advanced Potions students were on the list.

On his way out from his most recent delivery Saturday afternoon, Madam Pomfrey stopped him.

“Severus, I wanted to thank you for all your help.”

Blinking, Snape said, “Of course, Poppy, you know it’s part and parcel of my duties.”

Madam Pomfrey stepped closer and flashed a wistful smile. “I know. But I want you to know that I really do appreciate all that you’ve done for Hogwarts.” She ducked her head and murmured, “It won’t be the same without you here.”

Snape stared, ambushed by her declaration. He and Poppy had always had a cordial professional relationship, but it had never warmed like his friendship with McGonagall. Realizing that he had done the mediwitch a disservice in thinking her aloof instead of merely businesslike, Snape felt a pang of humility squirming through him.

“Thank you. I will admit that it will take some getting used to—not being here.” She looked up again and he smiled back at her.

“We’re all going to be at loose ends when you leave, and we’re concerned about you, you know.”

Raising one eyebrow, Snape said, “Talking about me behind my back?” He smirked to show he was teasing, and she wrinkled her nose at him.

“You’ve not been around lately to talk about you in front of you, so don’t play that game with me, young man.” She wagged her finger at him just as if he were one of the students. Snape snorted. “Minerva swears you’ve got plans and you’ll be fine, but she won’t give us any details.” She pursed her lips in a disgruntled pout, making Snape actually chuckle out loud.

Eyes sparkling with amusement, Snape gave her a mock bow and said, “So sorry to have deprived you lot of gossip, my dear.” She gave a haughty sniff, and he flashed a wicked grin. “Would it make it any better if I promise to provide all of you with juicy gossip later?” Letting loose a bark of laughter at her narrowed eyes, he backed away. “As it stands now, I have an appointment—with fate, perhaps—and I must leave. I thank you for your concern, Poppy.”

This time he offered a real bow, and she waved her hands. “Off with you, impertinence!”

Spinning on his heel, Snape Disapparated, his chuckle ending with his abrupt disappearance. Shaking her head, Madam Pomfrey bustled back to her office to put away the stock Snape had delivered.

Still amused by Madam Pomfrey’s clear annoyance with him, Snape changed into his Muggle clothes again and Flooed to Spinner’s End, where he concealed himself and Apparated to the alley near the ring shop.

After ensuring that no one could see him, he ended the concealment charm and made his way into the store. Moira Connell was helping another client, but she nodded a greeting to him as he made a beeline for the display with his ring.

It was still there, with a little tag attached to it marked, “On hold.” Exhaling in relief, Snape waited until Moira was done helping the other customer, hoping no one else would come in to distract them.

The bell chimed notice of the other person’s exit, and Moira nodded at Snape, saying, “I’ve got the garnets in the back. I’ll be right out.”

Snape’s fingers drummed an agitated tattoo on the glass of the display. Moira brought out a shallow box lined with cream velvet and set it on the counter before Snape. Within it, there were nine different garnets of varying shapes, sizes, and hues. Wordlessly handing him a jewellery loupe and tweezers, Moira unshaded a lamp nearby and gestured for him to examine the pieces.

Snape carefully picked up a stone with the tweezers and brought the loupe to his eye, holding the garnet up to the light as he inspected it. He proceeded to do the same with each gem, without comment. Moira sat back and waited for him to say something—anything.

After the first run-through, Snape scowled down at the stones arrayed on the velvet and began separating them. Then, he subjected the smaller group to another round of scrutiny. Eventually, he narrowed his choices down to two, and Moira was impressed at which ones he had picked. The two he was debating were definitely of the higher quality ones she had brought.

Finally, Snape straightened and set down the tools, gravely looking to Moira. “How much would the ring cost with each of these stones?”

Moira picked up each gem in turn and eyed them much as Snape had, then quoted him the respective prices. Snape merely nodded, his expression inscrutable. “May I see the ring again?”

“Certainly.” She handed him the ring after removing the tag. Snape compared each stone to the ring itself, placing it on top of the diamond and squinting at it. “Either one would be lovely, Mr. Snape.”

Snape nodded vaguely, still absorbed in his examination of the ring and garnets. Finally, he placed the ring on the velvet and set his choice of stone inside it. “That one. I want that one in place of the diamond.”

Moira nodded and smiled. “Very well.” She crossed to a drawer behind the till and withdrew a tiny envelope, dropping both the ring and the stone into it and sealing it. Writing Snape’s name on it and the quoted price, she inquired, “This ring is an ‘O.’ Is that the size you need, or shall I have it adjusted?”

She looked up to see Snape blinking, clearly taken aback. Feeling a sense of déjà vu from his ordeal in the fabric shop, he muttered, “It’s fine.”

Clearly not believing him, Moira cast a doubtful grimace at him and said, “You don’t know what size you need? Generally, one gets that information before searching for a ring…”

Snape’s eyes narrowed and he glared at her. His voice recalled his classroom demeanour as he growled, “I said it’s fine. Just change the gem and that’s all.” Her brows rose at his brusque retort, and she huffed and rolled her eyes as she wrote out the work order. “When can I expect it to be complete?”

Shooting him a trenchant glare, she said, “My pleasure in doing business with you notwithstanding, I’ll have this ready next week.” Snape’s lip curled at her sarcasm.

“How much do you expect me to pay now?” His irritation coloured his voice, much as hers had.

“Half is the standard. Of course, your previous earnest money is taken into account.”

Snape once again fished the roll of notes from his trench coat and peeled off more, thrusting them toward the woman imperiously. She sniffed and wrote a copy of the work order and receipt, including the amount still owed and the date he should return.

“I shall see you next Saturday, Miss Connell.” He jerked his head in a hasty nod before turning to leave.

Poisonously sweet, Moira retorted, “I do so look forward to it, Mr. Snape,” and pasted on a smile.

Snape cut one last aggrieved look at her as he swept out the door, leaving her to roll her eyes again and heave an exasperated sigh, murmuring, “I pity the poor woman he’s proposing to…”

***** *****

Wednesday heralded the last potions class of term, and Snape decided to set an example for his students by calmly reviewing what was to be expected of them when they took their N.E.W.T.s—both the written and the practical portions. He deliberately kept his voice smooth and low, in an attempt at soothing frazzled nerves.

“By now, if you don’t know something, you quite likely won’t learn it by cramming in the next few days. There will be nothing in your exams that we haven’t covered in class. Your practical portions should go smoothly, as you’ve all done well so far in preparing your potions. Believe me when I say that if I had seen anyone making a mistake thus far, I would have said something.” With that, he cocked a sardonic eyebrow at them, and a few had the temerity to giggle nervously at his understatement.

“You all know the point to which your potion must be prepared before you finish it in your exam. Provided you have effectively used your time to date, you should be able to get to that point in class today. Any remaining time you may have may be used for revising your notes and asking questions.” Attentive nods followed his words. “Very well then. Proceed.”

Again, Snape circulated through the room, watching the students’ progress. The general atmosphere was cool and businesslike, but whenever he could sense someone’s nervousness rising, he quickly crossed to that person’s table, sussing out the sticking point and murmuring, “Stop. Think. Do not panic. Calm down and breathe. Now, what should you remember at this point?”

Invariably, the student would take a shaky breath, then concentrate, eyes closed, until muttering an answer. At Snape’s liquid croon of, “Exactly. Carry on,” the student would take another steadying breath and continue, bolstered by his subtle support.

At the end of the period, Snape gazed down at the class with a faint smile of pride and challenge. “Keep taking care of yourselves, and do well on your exams. I sha’n’t wish you luck, as you have the skill and knowledge needed. Therefore, you don’t need such an ephemeral thing as luck.” With that, he raised one eyebrow and smirked at them, pleased that most of them managed a weak smile before exiting the classroom.

Hermione dallied in gathering her things, lagging behind the others as they swept to the door. As soon as they were all gone, she whipped around and flashed a smile at Snape, rippling her fingers in a wave. Then, with a furtive peek out the door again, she blew him a kiss and winked before ducking out the door past the early-arriving students for the next class.

Snape retreated into his office for a moment, unable to wipe the grin off his face at the combined feelings of satisfaction that his N.E.W.T. level class would do him proud and the euphoric elation that soon he would have a surprise of the first magnitude for the woman he loved.

***** *****

Saturday afternoon, Snape once again entered the ring shop, his body thrumming with anticipation of seeing his ring. At the sound of the door chime, Moira looked up from cleaning a display case and nodded, immediately turning and disappearing through the beaded curtain. Snape stepped up to the counter and gripped the edge, suppressing the urge to follow her.

Moira returned, bearing a velvet ring box, which she proffered to Snape. Snape snatched the box and opened it, his eyes gleaming with greedy excitement.

When he looked at the ring, the tense set of his shoulders wilted, and his breath soughed out of him on a long note of satisfaction. His whisper of “Perfect” was patently not directed to Moira, so she didn’t respond. Carefully plucking the ring from the box, Snape held it up to the light and turned it, watching the fiery sparks within the garnet.

The brooding lines of his face smoothed and his eyes were alight with a fierce joy. His whole demeanour changed, and Moira was rather stunned by how different he seemed, with a smile spreading those lips that had been thinned in seriousness before now. Blinking, Moira reflected that perhaps his intended wasn’t so bad off after all.

After a long moment, Snape finally refocused on the woman waiting patiently behind the counter. He blinked too, jolted out of his transport of delight, and cleared his throat as he ducked his head and shook his hair around his warming cheeks. Placing the ring back in the box, he reached into his pocket and withdrew the receipt with the amount due listed. He kept his eyes on the notes as he counted them, uncomfortably aware that he had allowed his closely guarded feelings to show.

Regaining his businesslike composure, he handed the money to Moira, saying, “That should cover it. It turned out rather well, I think.”

Moira suppressed a smirk at his understatement, considering his intense reaction, and allowed him to rebuild his masculinity. “I’m pleased you think so. Here is your final receipt, Mr. Snape. Thank you for your business. And if you find yourself in need of anything else later, please do think of us.”

Snape inclined his head and gravely said, “I shall. Good afternoon, Miss Connell.” With a quick bow, he spun and strode out the door, her “Good day to you” blending with the door chime.

Snape hurried to the alley and concealed himself, Apparating to a wizarding shop and hastily ending the charm so he could take the box out of his pocket and gaze at the ring again in the sunlight. Gripping the box tightly in his hand, he entered the new shop and went straight to the aging wizard at his worktable to one side. He had spoken to the craftsman before and had chosen him to be the one to cast the necessary charms on the ring.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Abernathy, I have the ring for you.”

The man peered up at Snape and smiled. “Excellent. Why don’t you have a seat here and I’ll fix it right up for you.” He waved at the stool opposite him and Snape sat, offering him the velvet box.

The jeweller opened the box and let out a soft crow of surprise. “What an exquisite piece. And you said you need more than just a sizing charm?”

Snape leant forward and said, “Yes. I need both rings—there are two parts, you see—to be linked in the sizing charm, so that once one part is worn, it will size to fit, and when the other part is placed with the first part, the second part will adjust to the first.” He paused, and the older man nodded understanding.

“That’s easy enough. Is that all?”

Snape flicked a glance around the shop, leaning closer even though they were alone. “I’ve read about proposal charms. I want one that will only size the ring to fit if the recipient knowingly and fully accepts the proposal. Once done, the ring can only be removed by the woman if she wills it. I know that is more complicated, but I have the Galleons for it.” He patted the pocket with his bag of money significantly.

The jeweller’s eyes narrowed shrewdly and he murmured, “Those are two separate charms. The theft-deterrent is fairly costly, and the betrothal charm is used less and less. Are you sure you need such a rare enchantment?”

Snape’s expression settled into one of grim determination. “I daren’t take any chances.”

Brows rising in surprise, the older man shook his head and shrugged. “Very well then. If you insist. It will take a couple of days to make sure I remember how to cast the betrothal charm correctly. Are you certain you want all of them? The price increases significantly…”

Cutting him off, Snape snapped, “How much?” When the man named the price, Snape sucked in a quick breath, his jaw throbbing as he clenched his teeth, then nodded sharply. “I can manage.”

Sitting back in his work chair, the man studied Snape for a moment, then said, “Half up front is customary.”

Snape nodded and fished his moneybag from his pocket, counting out the Galleons and thrusting them at him. The man waved his wand at a tablet by the far counter and a parchment page tore off, floating to Snape with a receipt scrawled on it.

Pocketing the coins, the jeweller said, “Come by Monday afternoon. I should have it ready then.”

Snape shot to his feet and said, “I shall see you then. Good afternoon.” He nodded at the man and Disapparated, leaving the jeweller to Summon an old charms book.

“Now, I know it’s been years since I’ve even looked at a betrothal charm, but I don’t think I’ve lost my touch…”

***** *****

Monday morning dawned, and all through the castle, anxious students prepared for their exams. The Wizarding Examination Authority administrators arrived bright and early, setting up the rooms for the fifth- and seventh-year students. By lunch time, many students looked harrowed, but by dinner, when the administrators departed, nearly everyone—including the teachers—looked exhausted.

Snape, on the other hand, transformed from weary to uplifted as he finished his meal, realizing that he would have the completed ring in his possession within the hour.

Hermione, commiserating with her mates at the Gryffindor table, noticed the light kindling in Snape’s eyes and wondered what could have him so excited. Perhaps he’s just come up with something for Fern. Or maybe the house is nearing completion. I wish I could ask him, but I guess it’ll just have to wait.

She sighed, missing him, as she watched him stand and Disapparate.

Snape Flooed to Spinner’s End, and then Apparated to the jewellery shop. His stomach trembled with excitement as he entered, making a beeline to the wizard at his workstation. The urgency in his voice was noticeable as he said, “Good evening, Mr. Abernathy. Is it ready?”

The older man heaved to his feet and crossed to a locked case. Muttering a password to slip past the wards, he withdrew the velvet ring box and showed it to Snape. Snape’s whole face lit up, and he seemed to practically vibrate with tension.

“Why don’t we settle up and then I’ll tell you about the charms.” He tilted his head toward the till, and Snape nodded, hurrying toward it while fishing his money bag from his pocket. Snape counted out the Galleons and made to hand them to the man, but the jeweller stopped him. “You’ve got too much there.” He reached out and plucked some money from Snape’s hand, setting it on the counter closer to Snape. “There, that’ll do.”

Snape’s brow furrowed in confusion. “But it says here on the receipt—“

Waving his hand irritably, the man cut him off. “I know what it says, lad. I miscalculated. Turns out the betrothal charm wasn’t as difficult as I remembered, so it wasn’t as much. Besides, I daresay you can find something else to spend those Galleons on, right?”

Snape’s eyes widened and his voice was an incredulous rasp as he said, “Are you sure?”

Face creasing in a benevolent smile, the man nodded, putting the reduced amount in the till. “I’m sure! You must have a pretty lass to woo, so hang on to that for later. The ladies now, I’m told they like little fripperies once in a while, so it’ll be spent as like as not.” He chuckled and set the ring box in front of Snape.

Snape snatched it up and opened it, once again examining it with an air of exultation. Snapping his gaze to the man, he prompted, “And the charms?”

The jeweller brandished a scroll at Snape. “Here are all the details. How to tell if it worked, which charms they are, all that rubbish. There’s also a list of the spells I can’t give a guarantee against, but they’re all pretty rare, so your guarantee is pretty thorough. The sizing charm is linked for both pieces, and it’s set to work continuously, so if her ring size changes over time, the ring will adjust.”

Snape unrolled the scroll and scanned it quickly. Nodding at each point the man made, he closed the scroll and pocketed it, the ring box still clutched in his hand. “Excellent. Thank you very much, Mr. Abernathy. And thank you for the discount. That was unnecessary, but appreciated.” He gave a quick bow.

“You’re welcome, lad. Never let it be said that Abner Abernathy ever gouged anyone.”

Snape smiled and nodded, making his way to the door. “Indeed.”

His hand was on the door when the jeweller said, “So, I can’t help but ask, when will you be doing the asking?”

Snape paused, blinking at the older man. Then, his lips spread in a grin of boyish mischief, and his eyes kindled with joy, making the older wizard blink at the drastic change. Suppressed laughter rippled in his voice as he merely said, “Soon.” Then, with a low chuckle, he said, “Good evening,” and ducked out the door.

The jeweller snorted softly and shook his head. “Well, lad, I wish you luck. ‘Tis a lovely thing to see young people so set on marriage.” Smiling wistfully, he went back to his workstation.

***** *****

Snape Flooed back to his quarters and dithered over where to hide the ring. Finally, he stuffed it into the pocket of his trench coat, casting charms to keep it safe and unnoticeable to anyone but him. He ran a hand through his hair, almost too excited and distracted to do anything functional with his time. Then again, as he reflected on the exams awaiting grading, he reminded himself that it was good to be a Potions Master and headed to his stock of potions.

After a liberal dose of both a Calming Draught and a Wit-Sharpening Potion, Snape managed to make it through a few hours of grading before heading to bed and downing a half-dose of Dreamless Sleep Draught. There were still four more days of exams to deal with, and he needed his rest.

***** *****

Exam week was nearly over when Hermione was interrupted at lunch by McGonagall.

“Miss Granger, could you come with me for a moment?”

Hermione peered up at her Head of House and faltered, “But, Professor, I’ve my last exam in half an hour. I’m revising…” She pointed at the notes spread across the table and bit her lip anxiously.

“I understand, but this is rather important, and you’ll not be late for your exam. I promise.” Her voice dropped on the last two words, and Hermione frowned in perplexity.

Reluctantly gathering her notes, Hermione stood. Wondering at the older witch’s odd inflection, Hermione asked, “Is anything wrong, Professor?”

McGonagall flashed a tight smile and gestured for Hermione to follow. “I don’t think so, dear. Come along.”

She led her out of the Great Hall and down the corridor to the same room they had used as the guests’ lounge before the performance. Inside, the Wizarding Examination Authority administrators were enjoying their lunch away from the student body. They crossed to a middle-aged witch who nodded animatedly as they approached, dabbing her lips with a napkin and standing.

“Excellent, thank you so much, Professor. Good afternoon, Miss Granger. I’m Audrey Dinsmore, and I was hoping to have a little chat with you before we all have to go back to the last exams.” She waved to a chair at her small table, and Hermione sat, casting a wary look at McGonagall. McGonagall stood there, clearly waiting for an invitation to sit as well, but the woman smiled at her and nodded in dismissal. “She won’t be late, Professor. Thank you for bringing her. I’m sorry to have interrupted your lunch.”

McGonagall eyed the woman in pique for a moment, then turned to Hermione. “I’ll be in the Hall if you need me, Miss Granger.”

Hermione flashed a “don’t leave me!” look at McGonagall but merely said, “Thank you, Professor.”

With a haughty sniff, McGonagall swept away, leaving Hermione to gaze uncertainly at the witch smiling beside her.

Leaning forward, the woman said, “It’s lovely to meet you, Miss Granger. I’ve seen how well you’re doing on your N.E.W.T.s, and I was lucky enough to have seen your performance. You are indeed a brilliant and talented young woman.”

Hermione ducked her head, demurring. “That’s very kind, thank you. I’ve had great teachers and cast mates. I got lucky.”

Narrowing her eyes shrewdly, Audrey murmured, “Modest, too. Yes, I think they’re quite right…”

Blinking in bewilderment, Hermione said, “Who’s right? And about what?”

“I don’t just work in the Examination Authority, Miss Granger. I am also part of the restructuring going on at the Ministry.”

Still lost, Hermione echoed, “Restructuring?”

“In light of this latest development, what with the Tri-Wizard Musical Competition and the new curriculum to be added across wizarding schools next year, the Ministry is having to create a new department and restructure existing ones to deal with all of these changes. That’s what I’m here to talk to you about. More like sounding you out about certain ideas, if you will.”

Wishing the cryptic woman would just get to the point already, since she had an exam in about fifteen minutes, Hermione clenched her teeth in exasperation and said, “Which ideas, Miss Dinsmore? I must say that I’m still baffled by what you’re intimating.”

Drumming her fingers on the table, Audrey tilted her head and said, “What are your plans after leaving Hogwarts, Miss Granger?”

Hermione blinked, stammering in her attempt to answer, since she immediately thought of Snape but couldn’t say anything about it. “I-I, well, it’s just, I mean, I-I haven’t worked out all the details yet.”

Audrey leant closer and murmured, “With your background, Miss Granger, being part of the Golden Trio… That alone could get your foot in the door anywhere. But, with your stellar marks, you’ve proven you deserve to get your foot in wherever you like. The thing is, you may be young, but you’ve proven yourself to be quite capable and talented in a number of areas. And, with your amazing performance, we think you’re just the woman we need to create the department the Ministry needs for next year!”

Hermione felt light-headed as the import of the woman’s words hit her. Creating a new Ministry department? Coming up with the new curriculum for schools across the world? Merciful heavens! That’s unheard of for a witch just out of Hogwarts! Dazed, she sucked in a deep breath and tried to marshal her scattered wits.

One corner of her lips quirking in a faint smirk, Audrey said, “I understand that it’s all a bit overwhelming right now, and I know you’ll need some time to consider whether or not you’ll want to even find out more.” She flashed a challenging smile. “But will you at least say you’ll get back to me later?”

Hermione nodded weakly. “I… I think so.”

Audrey chuckled and looked at her watch. “Oh dear, it’s nearly time for the last exams. We’d better get going.”

Hermione stared at her, incredulous. Unable to stop herself, she said, “You expect me to do well on an exam after you throw that at me?” The accusing tone of her voice made the older witch shake her head.

“Oh, don’t worry! Like I said, I’ve see how you’ve done so far on your exams, and you could ace them blindfolded with your wand tied behind your back. You did the same with your O.W.L.s, my dear. I know; I checked.” She winked at Hermione, standing and gesturing for her to precede her out of the lounge.

Hermione stood, casting an aggrieved look at Audrey before hurrying to her exam. Fortunately, it was a written portion, and she managed to get her spinning thoughts to subside as she focused on the questions before her, writing as fast as she could to answer them completely in the time allowed.

By the time it was over, she felt a huge sense of relief that she was finished, and, for good or ill, her work here was done. As she was leaving the classroom, Audrey came bustling up to her from a different one and thrust a slip of parchment in her hand.

“Here’s how to contact me to set up a visit if you’d like more information on our proposal. Enjoy your time off!”

Hermione shoved the parchment into her pocket and wearily trudged up to her room, fully intent on a nap before dinner. I do so hope we’ll have rehearsal soon. I can’t wait to tell Severus!


A/N: To see "the ring," go here: http://raru.com/images/revcradles/reverse-vanessa1.jpg


Phantom of Hogwarts by Good_Witch [Reviews - 20]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved