Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
General

Phantom of Hogwarts by Good_Witch [Reviews - 39]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

I wish I had managed to come up with these delightful characters and write seven wonderful books about them. But, since I didn't, I'm just playing with them instead, and I'll return them in good condition; I promise! Don't sue, kthxbye.

Author's Note: Extreme gratitude to Ladyofthemasque, Ladyinthecloak, and Horserider for feedback and morale boosting. *hugs and chocolate to those lovely ladies* And, thank you, thank you, thank you to all you fine folk who read and reviewed. I appreciate your continued support! This was originally going to be one chapter, but as it grew and so much happened, I decided to not just split it into two parts of one chapter, but instead split it into two separate chapters. That means that this is a little over 5900 words for this chapter, and the other 5000+ words are included in the new chapter to come next. But, since that one's got so much done already, hopefully it will follow shortly! Hope you lot enjoy this one, and as always, feel free to check my LJ for update info. :)

Chapter 72- Condemnation

Dumbledore stopped short as he crested the steps onto the stage, hands clenching as Snape and Hermione disappeared. His stentorian roar of “Severus Snape!” joined the startled cacophony echoing in the transfigured Hall.

McGonagall hovered at the edge of the proscenium, having emerged from the wing, her face white with shock, eyes bulging behind her square spectacles. Her brogue was so pronounced that her babble was even less coherent than it would have been otherwise. She looked as if she were trying to reach Dumbledore, but had rooted to the spot when the pair had vanished.

Ginny stood frozen in the wing, not far behind her Head of House, her wide eyes full of tears and her hands clasped and pressed against her mouth. Beside her, Harry was pacing in bewildered patterns, his hands alternately flailing and shoving through his now wildly untidy hair. His voice was much higher than normal as he repeated the same things again and again.

“What just happened? Where did he take her? What’s going on? What are we supposed to do?”

In the hubbub of people milling about in shock and confusion, Ron came pelting up to them from across the stage, Susan trailing after him. When he skidded to a stop in front of Harry and Ginny, he, too, ran a hand through his hair and gripped the back of his neck, ears bright red.

Harry’s hands flew outward dramatically as he rounded on his best mate and demanded, “What the bloody hell just happened?”

Ron shook his head, shoulders rising in an exaggerated shrug. “How should I know?” He looked at his sister, who was still staring blankly ahead with her fingers crammed against her lips. Frowning, he stepped into her line of sight and bent closer, muttering, “Gin? You all right?”

Ginny came back to herself with a gasp, blinking and jerking away. Gazing about frantically, she grimaced and breathed, “I don’t believe it! What was he thinking?”

Harry paused in his frenetic movements, exchanging a perplexed look with Ron before turning to his girlfriend. “What?”

Ginny’s eyes closed and she buried her face in her hands for a moment with a muffled wail. Then, pushing her hair out of her face, she lifted her head and took a deep breath. “I can’t believe he proposed to her here, in front of everyone! I would have expected him to be more private about it!”

Ron blinked, staring fixedly at her, his face screwed up in an expression of intense concentration. Harry, on the other hand, gazed at her in utter befuddlement, rather as if he had been hit with a Confundus Charm.

His voice low and accusing, Ron said, “You’re not surprised like we are.” The two redheads locked gazes for a beat, until Ginny heaved a sigh and shook her head. Ron sucked in a stunned breath, eyes widening. “You knew? That’s who she’s been mooning over?”

Ginny nodded, eyes pleading with Ron to understand. They were startled from their connection by Harry’s sharp, “What? What are you two on about? Knew what?”

Ron straightened, taking a deep breath and grinding his teeth. “Hermione and Snape. He just sodding proposed to her! They must have been together for a while, then.” He cut a glance at Ginny and barked, “How long?”

Ginny’s clasped hands were creeping back up to her mouth again. Her voice was barely audible to the two of them through the ongoing noise when she whispered, “Since November.”

Ron’s eyes flew open wide again and he reared back. His voice cracked with astonishment. “That long?” Both hands rose to rub his eyes, then slid up onto the crown of his head. His eyes darted back and forth, focusing on nothing but his own thoughts as he frowned in concentration again. Clearly he was talking to himself as he muttered, “So that’s what she was talking about after bolloxing things up with Harry. And why she was so mental about Colin!”

Harry stared at his friend, a grimace of disbelief stretching his lips. “You’re saying that Hermione is… is—well—is with Snape? As in a couple? Are you daft? That’s absurd!”

Ginny turned imploring eyes to Harry and bit her lip before saying quietly, “It’s not. I’ve known since Christmas.”

Harry froze, the grimace distorting his features as he blinked rapidly. “You can’t be serious…”

Ginny glanced about, seeing the chaos around them, and grabbed both Harry and Ron, dragging them into the shadows of the wing. Susan followed, looking lost. When they were in a corner, away from the rest of the baffled throng, Ginny hissed, “Listen. I know it’s a shock, but you’ve got to understand!”

Harry eyed her warily, but Ron crossed his arms and nodded stiffly, surprising her as he growled, “So tell us. What do we need to understand?”

Ginny’s hands worried in front of her as she said, “Hermione loves him. And he loves her! I’ve seen them together, and it’s true. Hand on wand!” She nodded earnestly. “Why do you think they have such an intense connection when they perform? And how else would Snape have come to change as much as he has? You’ve both admitted that he’s got so much better over the past few months—that’s because of Hermione! I knew they were in love, but I never imagined that he would go public like this!”

Ron tossed his head and snorted faintly. His voice was still a low growl as he said, “How can you be sure? What if he’s just toying with her?”

Ginny, encouraged by Ron’s lack of histrionics, gripped his arm firmly and gazed up into his measuring blue eyes. “She showed me the letters he sent her. That choker she wore at Christmas? He made that for her, based on the one she wore when they went to the play. Carved it himself! And he’s talked to me about her. Believe it or not, Ron, I’ve been his friend as well since January. He’s really not bad when you get to know him. He’s extremely protective of her—as you saw for yourself when you made that comment about her kissing him! She’s been so worried about telling everyone. She doesn’t want to lose her friends.”

At that, she turned to Harry, who was staring at her like he had never seen her before. But before she could start trying to sway him, Ron spoke up again.

“She has seemed really happy for a while now. I thought she had a secret, what with the way she behaved after the whole Colin thing…” He trailed off, then dropped his hands to his sides and clenched his fists, taking a deep breath. Releasing it in a long sigh and relaxing his hands again, he pinned Ginny with a grave look. “Is she happy? I mean, really? Does he treat her right?”

Ginny’s eyes widened with awe as she nodded, exuding reassurance. Her voice was soft but rang with sincerity as she said, “I’ve never seen her happier, and I doubt I’ll ever see anyone more in love than they are. It’s… beautiful.”

They gazed at each other solemnly for a beat, then Ron nodded decisively. “Good. Then I won’t have to hex his bollocks off.”

Ginny voiced a hysterical squeak, clapping her hands over her mouth to stifle it, but her eyes spoke volumes of gratitude.

Ron rubbed the back of his neck and shuddered. “Gah, this is going to take some getting used to.” He grimaced and shook his head.

Harry goggled at them. “Have you all gone mad? This is Snape you’re talking about here! Him and Hermione? That’s fucking insane!” He was gesturing wildly again, and his voice still had an edge of hysteria.

Ginny grabbed at his hands, trying to calm him. “Harry, please, just listen!”

Harry wrenched his hands from her grasp, eyeing her warily. “Listen to what? Snape’s gone and stolen our best mate and you’re all talking like that’s okay! If Dumbledore doesn’t hex him, I will!”

Ron rolled his eyes and said, “Harry, just shut up! If you go after Snape, you’ll just set Hermione off, and even though he’s changed, I reckon he’s not so changed that he wouldn’t jinx you into bits if you tried to attack him!”

Harry whipped his incredulous gaze to Ron. “I can’t believe you. Why aren’t you in a right state, too? I thought you cared about Hermione! How can you just stand there when that git’s kidnapped our friend?”

Ron scowled fiercely at Harry and bellowed, “He didn’t kidnap her, you buggering prat! He proposed to her! And if what Ginny’s said is true, Hermione’s gonna’ say ‘yes’!”

A beat of electric silence sizzled between them, as blue eyes stared down green. Harry’s voice was hoarse and faint when he finally said, “I’m the buggering prat? She’s with that bastard—“

He was cut off by Ginny’s furious, “He’s not a bastard! Stop calling him names, Harry James Potter!”

Harry rounded on Ginny. “How can you say that?”

Ginny’s eyes were still bright with tears as she spat, “Because he’s my friend, you wanker!”

Harry jerked back as if slapped. Before he could retort, he was assailed by Ron’s voice to one side. “He saved your life, mate. Give the man some credit.”

Harry’s eyes went even wider, and he blinked rapidly, his mouth working soundlessly.

Ron looked almost weary as he continued, “I thought you two had made peace anyway. Why are you in such a lather?”

Harry’s eyes narrowed and he sucked in a breath to growl, “Let me get this straight. You’re saying Hermione is in love with Snape, and has been since last year. They’ve apparently been carrying on a relationship under our very noses for months, and you’re not even bothered?”

Ron tossed his head, blue eyes flashing. “Look, it’s not like I’m planning to invite the man to join me for tea and crumpets or anything! I’d rather not think about what those two may have got up to all this time—what with the way they were snogging onstage anyway—but this isn’t about me! It’s about Hermione, and I want her to be happy! I promised her I’d support her no matter what after you two broke up, and I plan to stand by her! Snape’s not the only one who loves her, you know.”

Ginny flung herself at Ron, enveloping him in a grateful hug. “Thank you.” Her fervent murmur was muffled against his shoulder, but Harry heard it all the same.

Harry’s face twisted as he snapped, “I love Hermione, too! How could she choose him?”

Ginny twisted away from her brother to see Harry’s resentful expression, and her brown eyes kindled with hurt and anger. “Is that what this is about? You’re pissed off because she didn’t choose you, is that it?”

Harry wasn’t so far gone in his fit of temper that he didn’t realize his mistake, particularly at the sight of both Weasleys glaring at him. The brotherly protective light was rising in Ron’s eyes as he scowled at Harry in warning, and more tears were welling up to cloud Ginny’s eyes even as they flashed in anger. His hands rose, palms out in a calming gesture.

“Wait—that’s not what I meant!” He back-pedalled hastily as Ginny’s hands balled into fists at her sides. “Ginny, I love you. You know that! I love Hermione too, but not like that!”

Ginny’s chin was trembling, but she managed to speak. “Well, Snape does! So get over yourself, Mr. Chosen One, and fast, or the Boy-Who-Lived will end up the Boy-Who-Lived-Without-His-Best-Friend!”

With that last threat, she spun and darted away, leaving Harry to face Ron. Ron gazed frostily at Harry, not even breaking his gaze when Susan crept up to insinuate herself under his arm, pressing against his left side.

Harry was stunned speechless, and all he could do was blink at them.

Susan burrowed into Ron’s chest and he looked down at her pale face. Squeezing her shoulders in reassurance, he murmured, “You all right there, Suz?”

Susan tilted her head and gave a weak shrug. “I don’t know what to think. I mean, it’s all so bizarre!”

Ron heaved a sigh and said, “Too right.” Then, he lifted his right hand and chucked her under the chin, raising her face to his. Brow furrowed in concern, he said, “Do me a favour, would you? Don’t go adding to the stress Hermione’ll have to deal with. Just… just try and reserve judgment, okay? She’s gonna’ have enough to worry about; she could use some friends to back her.”

Susan’s worried expression gave way to a look of adoration and she smiled faintly, nodding. Her voice was tinged with admiration as she said, “It’s a shame you weren’t sorted into Hufflepuff—you’re so loyal to your friends.” She stretched up and kissed him gently. Ron’s ears went pink as he tried to suppress a flattered smile. Hugging him again, she said, “Do you think she’s okay?”

Ron frowned and said, “Who, Hermione? I reckon she’s as fine as one could be when ambushed by something like that.”

Susan flicked a glance at Harry and said, “Actually, I was worried about Ginny.” With that, she turned a scathing look at Harry and glared.

Ron grunted as he, too, cut an acid glance at his friend. “That was a pretty rotten thing to say, mate.”

Harry—who was still reeling under the shock of Snape and Hermione’s relationship and the knowledge that he had hurt his girlfriend and offended his best mate—gazed at Ron helplessly, looking completely overwhelmed. He looked around and saw the stage filled with milling clumps of audience mixing with the cast, and noticed that Ginny was across the stage, talking earnestly to McGonagall, with Neville and Parvati watching avidly.

His voice was almost a wail as he said, “I didn’t mean it like that! Ron, you know I love Ginny. I just can’t believe that she knew about Hermione and Snape and didn’t say anything about it before!”

Ron snorted and rolled his eyes. “Right, ‘cause she surely would have wanted to incite a riot like this in the middle of term!” He waved his hand at the hubbub. “Besides, I doubt anyone would have been willing to look past the Snape we used to know to the bloke he is now. He’s nowhere near the nasty git he used to be. He’s been nice to all of us the past few months, and I reckon Hermione had a lot to do with that!”

Harry pushed his glasses onto his head and rubbed his eyes wearily. When he put them back on, he gazed mournfully over the crowd and croaked, “What am I supposed to do?”

Ron quirked a resigned half-smile at him and said, “Apologize to Ginny, for one. Then shut up and be a good friend to Hermione. Isn’t it about time she was happy? It’s her life, Harry, not yours.” He paused, watching Harry struggle with his turbulent feelings. “The girls asked us to give Snape a chance ages ago, and we did. And he’s actually been decent and human since then. Besides, after all he did to help you, I think you owe him one.”

Harry scowled uncomfortably and muttered, “He said we’re even.”

Ron grinned and retorted, “See? What self-respecting Slytherin would say that if he could’ve kept something hanging over your head, eh? I’d say that’s proof right there that he deserves a chance. Besides, if they’re really in love, that’s another good reason to step back.” He cast a furtive glance at Susan still wrapped around him and said, “Dumbledore always said love was mysterious and powerful. Who are we to judge?” He squeezed Susan tighter and kissed her temple as she beamed up at him.

Harry shoved his hands in his pockets and shifted his weight, grimacing as he watched the excited people swarming all over the stage. Shooting a sulky look at Ron and Susan, he huffed and muttered, “I better go find Ginny.” He slunk away, edging between clumps of students.

*** ***

While Ginny had been apprising Ron and Harry of the situation, Dumbledore, after his initial roar of frustration, had stomped off to the staff room to try to Floo to Snape’s quarters. The flames turned green, but he couldn’t get through no matter how many times he tried. Snape had apparently cast a barrier on his hearth, preventing anyone from using the Floo to travel or call. He debated whether to go down to Snape’s rooms and try to get through the door, but that would give Snape warning and he could disappear before Dumbledore could get in. Of course, that was supposing they had Apparated into his quarters to begin with. There was no telling where they were.

Thoroughly incensed, the headmaster had stalked back into the Hall, the astonished crowd parting before him like the Red Sea before Moses. For the first time, many students saw why Dumbledore had been reported to be the only wizard the Dark Lord had ever feared. The dangerously livid expression and the magic crackling around him made them quail before him.

*** ***

McGonagall had been rooted to the spot where she had halted upon Snape’s disappearance with Hermione. People surged onto the stage, into the space previously occupied by the pair, and McGonagall saw Dumbledore whirling to exit through the staff door. She stared, bereft, her stunned babble still rolling off her tongue.

She was alone in a sea of confusion until Ron raced past her, Susan at his heels, and a bug-eyed Trelawney floated up to her in their wake.

Trelawney gripped McGonagall’s arm and breathed, “Can you believe it? What in the name of all the celestial bodies is going on?”

McGonagall, whose patience with the Divination teacher was notoriously short on a good day, felt as if she just couldn’t be expected to deal with her in the midst of such chaos!

Lips thin and nostrils flaring in annoyance, McGonagall turned to Trelawney and nearly shouted, “Unhand me this instant!” She shook loose of Trelawney, who was clearly taken aback by her behaviour. Her voice oozed icy disdain as she said, “What do you mean, asking me such a question? I thought you, of all people, should have been unsurprised—surely you should have seen this coming?” Her eyes narrowed in a withering look and she tossed her head. “I’m onto you: you merely want an inside scoop on gossip, and you know Severus trusts me—“ She faltered, realizing that Snape clearly hadn’t trusted her as much as she had thought, and she felt foolish for trusting him as much as she had, also. Regaining her composure, she regally said, “I’m sure Albus will get to the bottom of this. In the meantime, I’ll not be giving you any gossip fodder.”

She lifted her chin loftily and stormed away, leaving Trelawney to gape after her. When she reached the other side of the stage, where Dumbledore had stood and shouted, she stopped, hoping that he would come back soon. She gazed out over the tumultuous crowd, watching people dart from group to group, fervent conversations buzzing like a swarm of locusts. As the throng onstage shifted, she saw Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Susan in the shadows of the opposite wing.

Are her friends as baffled as the rest of us? Could they have had any inkling?

While she watched, Ginny threw herself at her brother and enveloped him in a hug. A moment later, she had spun to face Harry, who then raised his hands in a conciliatory gesture. The redheaded girl appeared to be shouting at Harry, and then she whirled and sped away, heading straight for McGonagall, buffeting off people like a pinball as she bulled her way through the masses.

She was crying, and she was oblivious to everyone around her, which explained her gasp of shock and startled expression as McGonagall clamped down on her arm to stop her progress.

“Miss Weasley! Are you all right?”

Ginny looked up at her Head of House, noting her white, anxious face. Swallowing hard, she rasped, “I’m fine, Professor.”

McGonagall nodded sharply, then her gaze sharpened like a predator’s as she leant closer and hissed, “Good, then what can you tell me about what just happened?”

Ginny blinked, caught completely off guard, and she knew her guilt had flashed across her face when McGonagall’s eyes narrowed and she tightened her grip, saying, “Out with it, Miss Weasley!”

Ginny realized that they were beyond the point of dissembling, as the truth would out them in any case. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before locking gazes with McGonagall and saying, “Professor Snape just proposed to Hermione.”

McGonagall’s hand squeezed again, then abruptly released Ginny’s arm. Straightening haughtily, she said, “I am well aware of that fact, Miss Weasley. I was referring to what you know about the situation. It is obvious that you are not as shocked as the rest of us.”

As she was speaking, Neville and Parvati arrived, Neville’s face anxious and Parvati’s clearly flummoxed. Ginny cut a quick glance at them and instantly decided to answer anyway, in the hopes that she could influence her friends to support Snape and Hermione as well.

Settling her shoulders and steeling herself, she said, “I daresay it was a logical next step in their relationship, Professor.”

McGonagall’s eyes bugged out again and she hissed, “What relationship?”

Ginny pursed her lips for a beat before saying, “They’re in love. And have been for months.” She flicked another glance at her friends before peering back up at her Head of House.

Neville had jerked back as if slapped, and Parvati’s mouth had fallen open. McGonagall was staring at her, shaking her head faintly.

“No. That’s not possible. She’s his student—“ McGonagall blinked as she was cut off by Neville’s “—Not anymore.”

Neville jerked again, having surprised even himself with his interjection. His cheeks coloured as he gave a sheepish grimace. “Sorry…”

McGonagall looked dazedly back at Ginny and said, “Severus wouldn’t… he’d never…”

As she trailed off, Ginny supplied, “Fall in love? Why not? He’s just a man, isn’t he?” She brought all her persuasive powers to bear as she continued, “Professor, you’ve been helping him build a new life, too. Hermione’s just the reason for wanting that life.” She laid a hand on her professor’s arm. “Clearly he’s serious about it if he’s asking her to marry him. You’ve seen how much he’s changed over the past several months. That’s because of Hermione. They’re happy. Surely that’s a good thing?”

McGonagall blinked and said, her voice weak, “But he’s a teacher. He wouldn’t dare fraternize with a student.”

Ginny grimaced and rolled her shoulders as if shrugging out from under a heavy burden. “She’s of age! And besides, it’s not like he went after her; they were thrown together by this whole play thing! Can you really blame them if they succumbed to the feelings their roles invoked?”

Neville breathed, “Is that why they were always so amazing? They weren’t acting?” He exchanged a stunned look with Parvati, who nodded slowly back at him in wonder.

Ginny said, “Exactly! You see how great they are together? Yes, all that was real. All their acting was reserved for pretending that there wasn’t such a strong bond between them!”

McGonagall shook her head again, and her voice trembled as she said, “I can’t believe it. He lied to me all this time. I thought we were friends, finally, after so many years.”

Ginny turned to the older woman and gripped her hands desperately. “Professor! Did you ever ask him if he was in love with Hermione? Of course not! He didn’t lie. Not really. He simply kept a secret. That’s not the same thing at all! You know perfectly well that he didn’t dare confide in you! The only reason I knew anything was that I figured it out and confronted Hermione, and when I realized how sincere and beautiful their feelings were, I agreed to keep their secret. Never in a million years would I have imagined that he would have outed them in such a public fashion.”

They gazed silently at each other, Ginny’s eyes begging acceptance, and McGonagall’s full of hurt and outrage. Then their connection was broken by Harry sidling up and mumbling, “Um, Ginny? Could I talk to you for a moment?”

Ginny stepped back from her impassioned posture, releasing McGonagall’s hands and turning narrowed eyes on Harry. McGonagall looked up again and gasped, making everyone whirl to look where she was gazing.

Dumbledore was storming back onto the stage, everyone scattering before him. He strode directly up to McGonagall, who was staring at him, face white. Ginny, Harry, Neville, and Parvati shrank away, disappearing behind their Head of House and out of Dumbledore’s line of sight.

Dumbledore’s voice shook with suppressed anger as he said, “He’s blocked the Floo! Of course, I don’t even know if he’s in his quarters, since he can bloody well Apparate anywhere he wants in this sodding castle!”

Behind McGonagall, the Gryffindors exchanged shocked looks at Dumbledore’s speech.

Sucking in a breath through his nose, the headmaster said, “If I go down there and try to get in, no doubt they’ll just disappear again, and I’ll never be able to find them!” He clenched his fists again and growled, “And he doesn’t have any portraits down there either, so I can’t even send a spy in to see if they’re there!”

His words triggered something in Harry, who crept forward and said, “Uh, sir?”

McGonagall spun, and she and Dumbledore glared down at Harry where he nearly cowered before them. The other Gryffindors hastily backed up, leaving him alone to suffer their wrath.

Clearly struggling to control himself, Dumbledore spat, “What, Potter?”

Harry cringed even more, but said, “There’s another way to send a spy into his quarters, sir.” He paused, then said, “Dobby.”

Both professors blinked at him, taken aback by the suggestion. Dumbledore’s scowl gave way to a smile, but the smile was somehow even more terrible than the scowl had been. His voice was a low drawl as he said, “Excellent idea, Mr. Potter. But I’ll do you one better.” His eyes twinkling again, but with malice instead of mirth, he summoned Dobby.

The house-elf appeared amidst the crowd and immediately winced, overwhelmed by the hubbub and the ambient magical energy surrounding him. Bulging eyes finding Dumbledore, Dobby squeaked, “The headmaster called, sir? What can Dobby do to be of service, Headmaster, sir?”

Dumbledore hunkered down to be on Dobby’s level and gripped the elf’s arm. “Dobby, I wish you to take me with you for Side-Along Apparition. Can you do that?”

Dobby’s thin chest puffed forward in pride at the importance of the task. “Certainly, Headmaster! Dobby will take you wherever you like, sir.”

Dumbledore shifted his weight to be more comfortable in his crouch and deftly slid his wand from his pocket, holding it ready. Firming his grip on the elf’s arm, he murmured, “Dobby, take me to Professor Snape’s quarters.”

A startled gasp rose from the many throats around them as Dobby nodded sharply and snapped his fingers, both he and Dumbledore disappearing a heartbeat later, leaving the stunned crowd to gape at the empty spot where they had been.

**** ****

Snape and Hermione appeared in his quarters in front of the hearth. Snape released Hermione from his embrace, turning toward the fireplace and immediately casting several complex spells. Hermione stood frozen between the two armchairs, watching him silently and trying to regain control of her senses.

As soon as he was satisfied that the Floo was blocked, Snape turned back to Hermione, eyeing her with his heart in his mouth. The ring had shrunk to fit her finger, so she clearly had accepted his proposal, but she hadn’t spoken yet, and she still looked shell-shocked.

Gently, he took her hands and said, “Hermione? Are you all right?” Worry tensed his muscles, and his heart beat erratically as he waited for her answer.

Hermione sniffed, blinking. Swallowing hard, she took a shaky breath and lifted tear-filled eyes to Snape’s. “Severus?” Her voice was a croak.

Snape urged her to sit in his armchair, and he sank onto the ottoman in front of her, still holding her hands. His right thumb slid up to caress the ring on her finger, and they both looked down at it. Hermione voiced a funny noise that was half-gulp and half-bark of laughter. Snape’s head snapped up to look at her again.

Shaking her head and blinking rapidly, Hermione cleared her throat and murmured, “Is this a dream?”

“No. It’s as real as we are. Hermione, please, answer me.”

Releasing another shaky breath, she said, “I’ll be fine, I guess. It’s all so… overwhelming.” She lifted her left hand from his grasp and gazed at the ring, turning it in the light, watching the gleams and sparks within. Her voice was thick with emotion again as she said, “It’s beautiful.”

Snape leant forward and said, “It had to be perfect. For you. For us. The band within is separate. It’s gold—for you. And the silver around it—well, it’s white gold, but it looks silver—that’s for me. It protects the inner band. Just like I’ll always protect you.” He paused to watch her lips spread in an awed smile before continuing, his words spilling out, tumbling over themselves in his haste to get them out. “And the stone… it’s a garnet. It’s a symbol for love. Passionate love. Unconditional, deep love and devotion.

“It represents loyalty and fidelity. And protection. Crusaders wore them. And they’re lucky. Lucky for love, success, and goals. For our future. Garnets used to be the stone of choice for engagements, before diamonds came into fashion. I didn’t want a diamond. They’re so cold and impersonal. The red suits you, and its fire inside is like the love in my heart, burning for you.” He paused again, grimacing sheepishly at the melodramatic nature of what he had just said, even if it was all true. Trying a different tack, one that wasn’t quite so dramatic, he went on.

“I even looked up Muggle references, and, although it’s ridiculous to pay any attention to astrology, it’s funny that the garnet is associated with not only January and Capricorn, but with Virgo as well.” He trailed off again, locking eyes with Hermione, who was smiling tenderly at him.

“I couldn’t possibly imagine a ring that more completely embodies us.” She reached forward and cupped his cheek, caressing his lips with her thumb. Snape kissed her thumb and lifted his hand to press her palm to his lips as well.

“There’s more.” He brought her hand between them and attempted to tug the ring down her finger. It wouldn’t budge. He could spin it around, but it would not slide down the length of her finger. “The spells are working as well.”

Hermione tilted her head curiously. “What spells?”

“I had standard sizing spells applied, so it will always adjust comfortably to your finger. But I also had a betrothal charm and an anti-theft charm done.”

Hermione frowned in perplexity. “What is a betrothal charm? I’ve never heard of that.”

Snape snorted softly. “The betrothal charm and the anti-theft charm work together. I know I said there was a sizing charm on the rings, but the betrothal charm won’t let it work unless the recipient—you—accepts the proposal. And the anti-theft charm keeps anyone from being able to take the ring from you against your will.” He paused, a shy smile creeping over his face. “I knew your answer as soon as I saw the ring shrink to fit. It wouldn’t have adjusted had you not understood my intent and agreed to it.”

Snape once again lifted her hand and reverently kissed the ring, eyeing her with devotion. Hermione beamed.

“Why did you insist on the betrothal charm? Surely you’d believe me when I accepted?”

Snape grinned mischievously at her and said, “You do realize that you still haven’t said anything? If it weren’t for the ring, I’d still not have your answer.”

Hermione’s eyes widened and her lips parted with a startled gasp. Her hands convulsively gripping his, she leant forward earnestly and said, “Oh, Severus, I’m so sorry! Of course! Nothing could please me more than to share one life with you.”

Just as he had used the song to propose, she used its words to accept, and they exchanged a look of recognition for how important the play would always be to them, having led them to each other. On the heels of her answer, they closed the distance between them and sealed their pledge with a kiss.

When they finally broke away, their foreheads pressed against each other, Hermione gazed at the ring again and said, “You have my answer now, but why did you feel the need to use the betrothal charm in the first place?”

Snape’s voice was low as he said, “It’s proof, Hermione. Proof that we may need in the face of all the naysayers.”

With that, Hermione jerked back, eyes wide as she gasped. “The school! The Ministry! Oh gods…”

Snape nodded grimly even as he rubbed her hands to soothe her. “You needn’t worry about the Ministry, love. Your contract is sound and nothing we’ve done can break it.”

Eyeing him with trepidation, she squeaked, “Are you sure?”

One corner of his mouth quirked in a semblance of a smile and he said, “Yes. I had good reason to hope you would arrange your contract and sign the papers before end of term. You’re of age, and technically done with Hogwarts when your last grade came in. By the time we performed, you were no longer a student at this school, merely a guest until tomorrow, provided you chose to wait for the Hogwarts Express to leave in the morning. You could have left as soon as the Feast was over, but of course, we had to perform. One last obligation to this place, as it were.”

Hermione gazed at him, eagerly accepting his words. “But what about you? And your job?”

Snape snorted. “Hermione, my job is with Fern now. My tenure here ended with the term. Clearly—” and he gestured around at the bare shelves and remaining boxes “—I’m not worried about this position. I’m already done with it.”

“How will we explain to everyone? I can’t believe you did that in front of the entire school and Ministry officials!” She blinked bewilderedly at him and shook her head.

Snape leant forward again and caught her chin between his thumb and forefinger, directing her to look at him. His expression was fierce as he murmured, “I told you long ago that I would rival the bravest Gryffindor around when I staked my claim to the world. I have nothing to hide any longer. I am proud to love you, and even prouder that you somehow love me. The world had better get used to the new Severus Snape, because he’s not going anywhere.”

In the silence after his words, Hermione voiced a muffled hiccupping sob, throwing herself at Snape and enveloping him in a tight embrace, straddling his legs and nearly bowling him over the edge of the ottoman.

That was the sight that greeted them as Dumbledore and Dobby popped into the room by the door.


Phantom of Hogwarts by Good_Witch [Reviews - 39]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved