Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
General

Phantom of Hogwarts by Good_Witch [Reviews - 23]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Not mine. Just having fun. Please don't sue. Thanks!

Author's Note: We're winding down, folks. I honestly think we're 2-3 chapters away from this story finishing. LOL Yeah, only six years later... Anyway, here's hoping that this latest rush of writing continues and allows me to be able to get it all done before Infinitus! ;) Thanks to Ladyofthemasque, Becky, and all you lovely folk who read and review and make my life happier. *hugs you all*

Chapter 78- Castigation

Snape sank back into the chair, exchanging a wary glance with Dumbledore.

Conroy leant back in his seat and beckoned imperiously at another Wizengamot official. A stack of papers was handed down the row to Conroy, who sneered in disgust at Snape before paging through them. As the minutes ticked on, muted spates of conversation buzzed on all sides, and Snape looked up at Dumbledore, his brow furrowed in apprehension. Dumbledore shook his head minutely, frowning, unsure of what was happening.

Periodically, Conroy would glance up at Snape with a malignant smirk before flipping through more papers, pausing to make notes on a pad to one side. Snape’s unease grew, and he looked at Hermione, who locked anxious eyes with him.

Exhaling gustily, Conroy sat back and lifted his face to the court, his expression triumphant. “Mr. Snape, while you purport to have not broken any written laws, it is clear that you traversed freely in the grey areas of the written rules. Your behaviour showed flagrant abuse of the unwritten yet completely reasonable expectations for a professor. It is your job to teach, guide, and care for the safety and well-being of your students, not prey on their emotions and use their regard for your personal ends.”

Snape leant forward, goaded to reply. “I did my job! Ask anyone!”

Conroy narrowed his eyes at Snape again, lips thinned in annoyance. “Hold your tongue, Mr. Snape.”

At that, Dumbledore interceded, saying, “I beg your pardon, Interrogator Conroy, but Mr. Snape has a point. The Wizengamot Charter of Rights states that any accused person may call witnesses to his defence. If Mr. Snape wishes to do so, he is within his rights.”

Conroy fumed, and another Wizengamot official leant in close to whisper in his ear. Jaw pushing forward in mulish defiance, Conroy huffed and said, “Very well then, Mr. Snape, whom do you wish to call in your defence?”

Snape cast a startled glance at Dumbledore, who said, “You may ask anyone you like who can speak to your competence in protecting the students entrusted to your care.”

Snape blinked in dismay. Wide-eyed, he turned to look at Hermione, and was taken aback to see several people seated near her perched on the ends of their seats and gesturing at him.

Hermione glanced around at her cast-mates and felt tears welling up. Ginny, Ron, McGonagall, Neville, Parvati, and Millicent all had their hands in the air, demonstrating their willingness to be called to testify. Even the Grangers had their hands raised.

Behind Snape, Dumbledore twinkled and beamed at them as he leant down and murmured, “Just look how many you have to choose from, Severus.”

Snape, overcome with gratitude, cleared his throat and said, “Professor McGonagall,” acknowledging that she was his best ally and friend.

McGonagall shot to her feet and marched down to the floor, haughtily gazing over her spectacles at the assembled Wizengamot. Conroy growled, “State your name and give whatever testimony you deem appropriate to this case.”

“My name is Minerva Catherine McGonagall, and I am Deputy Headmistress, Head of Gryffindor House, and Transfiguration professor at Hogwarts. I have known Severus Snape since he was a child. Ever since he began teaching at Hogwarts, he has always protected the students, both in and out of the classroom.” She paused to fling an exasperated glance at Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

“Severus has been Head of Slytherin House for many years, and, as we all know, spent his adult life spying on Lord Voldemort as a member of the Order of the Phoenix. If that doesn’t demonstrate his willingness and ability to sacrifice and work to protect all of our society, and not just the students at Hogwarts, then I can’t imagine what can!”

There was a rumble of agreement from Snape’s supporters, and even the rest of the spectators looked thoughtful.

Conroy gazed at McGonagall for a moment, then said, “Can you honestly say that you have no qualms about the fact that your colleague became intimately involved with a student—in your House, no less?”

McGonagall drew herself up with a regal air and primly addressed the entirety of the Wizengamot. “I believe that Severus and Hermione had nothing but the best of intentions after being chosen—and forced, mind you—to perform in the Tri-Wizard Musical Competition. Had they not been thrown together by the Ministry, I stake my very life on the fact that Severus would never have looked twice at any student in an inappropriate manner. However, seeing that they did fall in love, and Severus quite honourably made his intentions clear in the very proposal of marriage for which he is being denounced, I support both him and Hermione. They are both conscientious, decent, admirable people, and I am pleased that two people for whom I have such high regard managed to find the sort of love they have found in each other. That is a gift many of us never receive. And they deserve it!”

Hermione’s eyes welled with tears again, and she covered her trembling lips with her hand. Snape stared at McGonagall, rapt, until she finished her vehement statement. When she turned to look at him, he stood and took her hand, eyes bright as he murmured, “Thank you, Minerva.”

McGonagall smiled fondly at Snape and patted his hand. Her whisper was barely audible as she leant forward and said, “What else are friends for?”

As she swept back to her seat, Conroy growled, “Anyone else?”

Snape looked back at the group and once again noticed the Grangers. Aware that their support was extremely meaningful in regards to his future with Hermione, he inclined his head to them and said, “Geoff and Dione Granger.”

The Grangers exchanged a look and stood, hands linked as they strode down to the floor. Dione looked to Geoff and he spoke.

“My name is Geoffrey David Granger, and this is my wife, Dione. Hermione is our daughter. We are not wizards, clearly, so we only know of this world through her. However, we have heard nothing but good things about Severus protecting the students of Hogwarts. Even when the headmaster sent them on assignment to London, Severus escorted Hermione and kept her safe. As far as our personal knowledge of his efforts, we can vouch for his shrewdness in helping Hermione look at every aspect of her proposed Ministry contract, assisting her in ways we couldn’t, since we aren’t familiar enough with how things work in the wizarding world.”

Dione added, “It may have been quite a shock to learn that Hermione and Severus were engaged, but we accept it—and Severus, as part of our family.”

Dione peered up at Geoff and he nodded slowly. “I’m not sure how your legal system works, but I think that, even though the situation is unexpected, Severus is not a criminal.” He looked over at Snape and tilted his head. “I guess that’s all.”

Snape inclined his head and stepped closer to clasp their hands. His voice was gravelly as he said, “That’s more than enough. Thank you.”

Dione flashed a tight smile as she and Geoff returned to their seats. Snape looked over to see Millicent stubbornly holding her hand in the air. Acknowledging the girl from his House, he said, “Miss Bulstrode?”

Millicent rose and took a deep breath, flicking a glance at the nearby Neville, who flashed an encouraging grin at her. McGonagall nodded in approval as well, and Millicent lifted her chin and marched down beside Snape.

“My name is Millicent Agnes Bulstrode, and Professor Snape was my Head of House the whole time I was at Hogwarts. He was always making sure that the little kids didn’t get bullied by the older ones, and knew how to fix damage and heal hexes so we didn’t have to report to Madam Pomfrey all the time and get into more trouble whenever there were scuffles in the common room. He may not have been the nicest person, but we Slytherins all knew we could go to him when it counted. So don’t you go saying that he didn’t do his job of protecting us, ‘cause he did.” She ended her statement with a jerk of her head for emphasis, then nodded at Snape and hurried back to her seat before Snape could thank her.

Neville was beaming at her and hissed, “Well said again!” Then, he shot to his feet and announced, “My turn, Professor,” as he made his way to the floor. Snape was staring at him as if the young man had grown another head, but Augusta Longbottom was smirking with pride at her grandson’s initiative.

Smiling cheerfully at Snape and Dumbledore, Neville faced the Wizengamot and said, “I’m Neville Franklin Longbottom, and I was terrified of Professor Snape until very recently.” There was a spate of chuckles at his frank admission. “But, Professor Snape not only worked hard at our performance—in addition to his regular Hogwarts duties—he helped the cast get past our stage fright. If it hadn’t been for his guidance and leadership, we may not have won the competition—or, at least, several of us would never have managed to work up the courage to perform so well. And, he made sure no one harassed Hermione about her role, even going so far as to punish a student in his own House for insulting her!”

Snape shook his head minutely in wonder at Neville Longbottom, of all the students he had terrorized over the years, coming to his defence. The boy had truly grown up, and didn’t deserve Snape’s former disdain any longer.

Neville looked back at Hermione and then at Snape. “I don’t know what you’re going to do about Professor Snape and Hermione getting engaged, but I think that if you had ever seen them perform, then you’d understand how special their connection is.” He flicked a glance at Parvati and settled his shoulders with dignity. “And I think it’s poor form to punish consenting adults for loving. If there’s one thing I learned from the war, it’s that love is the most powerful force for good in this world.” He paused again, noting the poisonous scowl on Conroy’s face, and blinked. “But anyway, Professor Snape did his job well, protecting us, or the good side may not have won.”

Neville looked at Harry, who was sulking and staring at the wall. Sighing in disappointment, he turned back to Snape and proffered his hand. Snape, almost speechless, gripped the younger man’s hand firmly and said, “Thank you.”

Neville smiled and said, “No, sir. Thank you.” Then he trotted back to his seat.

Conroy growled, “If this parade is over—”

Shooting up from his seat, Ron barked, “Oi! It’s not over yet. I haven’t had my turn!” Glaring at Conroy in indignation, he bounded down to the floor and said, “All right, if you’re in such a hurry, I’ll make this quick. My name is Ronald Bilius Weasley, and I just want to say what everyone else has been beating around the bush about. Professor Snape saved lots of us—but Harry mainly—loads of times. And even though the war ended, he didn’t stop. Even Professor Dumbledore can tell you that it was Professor Snape’s quick reflexes that saved Harry’s neck—literally—during rehearsal! If he hadn’t stopped that noose, Harry could’ve been really hurt. So grumble all you want about him and Hermione having an ‘inappropriate relationship,’ but leave off about him ‘breaching trust’ and not doing his job.”

He scowled right back at Conroy, then turned to nod at Snape and Dumbledore before rejoining Hermione in the stands. As he edged past Harry and Ginny, Harry stared up at him, frowning. Ron sat down and Hermione hugged him, Ginny reaching past her to pat him on the back in approval. Harry watched his friends for a moment, then turned his attention to Snape and Dumbledore on the floor.

Snape, chest and throat tight with emotion at the unexpected swell of support, coughed and said, “I daresay that’s enough to make a point. Albus, have you anything to add?”

Dumbledore smiled and said, “No, indeed. Everyone else summed it up quite brilliantly, I think.”

Conroy sniffed loudly, then said, “Very well then. We shall confer on the remainder of your punishment.”

He sat back, gesturing for the officials on either side to lean in. He riffled through the stack of papers in front of him and pointed at his notes as he muttered to the others. They frowned and shook their heads, making notes of their own. After a few more moments of hushed consulting, one ripped the page from Conroy’s pad and passed it down the row so the rest of the Wizengamot could see it. There were some nods and murmurs of agreement as well as some huffs and frowns of disagreement. Some even went so far as to scribble their own notes on the page.

Finally, the paper made its way back to Conroy. He scanned the adjustments and snorted, but pushed forward in his seat anyway, saying, “Severus Snape, please rise and face the court.”

Snape stood, smoothing his robes and breathing deeply as he waited for Conroy to continue.

“Although testimony has been brought forth claiming that you performed your duties, it is also abundantly clear that you allowed yourself liberties beyond what is deemed acceptable in your position of authority over students. Therefore, it has been decided that you are not entitled to the full compensation for your duties, as you did not fulfil them in a respectable fashion. As per your own words, your inappropriate relationship with Miss Granger began in November. From that month until the end of your teaching contract, which our records show to be through June, you will be fined 90% of your base salary for those eight months, not including any extra stipends or perquisites. This penalty is due to the Wizengamot by the close of business Friday, in full, or you may face other penalties as well.”

Snape’s eyes went wide and he felt as if all the air had vanished from his lungs. That much? I don’t have that much left! Not after all the bills, and Hermione’s ring, and furnishing the house… Where am I going to get that much money by Friday? With my reputation, I doubt I can get a loan from any respectable source. I can’t ask for a salary advance, not when Fern is fronting all the money right now anyway, until we can get stock into stores. I can’t bear to ask Hermione to pay for my folly with her salary! I guess it’s a good thing that we’re not married yet, else she’d be responsible for this fine anyway. Merlin, I don’t know what to do…

While he was reeling at the rest of his punishment, Conroy continued, “I just want to remind you, Mr. Snape, that it would be very unwise to attempt to flee jurisdiction.” His smirk was pure venom. “We’ll be looking for your payment by Friday.” He brandished the paper at Dumbledore, who collected it and brought it back to Snape. It detailed the complete amount he was expected to pay. Lifting the gavel with a flourish, Conroy said, “These proceedings are over. You may go,” then banged the gavel for emphasis.

The Wizengamot and spectators began to file out of the courtroom, conversations buzzing. Snape and Dumbledore stood motionless in the centre of the floor. Hermione, grateful that Snape was only fined, watched Snape’s stunned expression with growing worry.

Arthur Weasley crossed to Snape and Dumbledore, gesturing for them to precede him toward the stands where Snape’s supporters remained. Hermione jumped up and raced down to Snape, hurling herself into his embrace. The Grangers and the rest of the Weasleys followed, Ginny dragging Harry along by one hand. Neville, his grandmother, and Parvati sidled up to one side of the group, and McGonagall herded Millicent to join them as well.

Snape looked up from resting his cheek on Hermione’s head and said, “I can’t thank you all enough for everything you’ve done here. Your support means more than I can say. Thank you.”

Hermione lifted her head to see Orly Yarly edging closer, patently hoping to hear their conversation so she could use it in her gossip column. Incensed and worn out from the stress of the trial, Hermione backed up in Snape’s arms and said, “I already told everyone upstairs that I wouldn’t be back in the office today. Not with this happening, and my having to go buy a computer.” She felt Snape cringe faintly and wondered why. “But we really do appreciate you all coming.”

Orly was just a few steps away, scribbling furiously, and Hermione said, “Why don’t we all go back to the house where we can relax away from prying busybodies!” She glared at Orly, and everyone turned to see what she was looking at. Voice hard, she said, “You’re all welcome to come along. We can Floo to Spinner’s End.”

Snape didn’t particularly want to have his home overrun by Weasleys and more, but he felt the Rita Skeeter vibe coming off the eavesdropping woman and understood Hermione’s concern. Gripping Hermione’s hand, he stepped toward the door. “Hermione’s right. You’re all welcome.” Tugging more urgently on her hand, he said, “Let’s go.”

Hermione beckoned for their friends to follow as she and Snape exited the courtroom and made their way to the lifts. When they had all piled into lifts, Hermione watched with no little satisfaction as Orly Yarly scowled in frustration at losing her targets.

Bulling their way through the milling crowd avidly talking about the trial they had just left, they Flooed home, unsure who would follow. Snape excused himself and immediately went to the W.C. to splash water on his face, leaving Hermione to play hostess to those who appeared.

When he felt composed enough to return, he slowly made his way back into the living room, where he saw Arthur and Molly standing near the front table with the picture of him and Hermione, Fred and George flanking the doorway into the dining room, the Grangers sitting on the couch with Hermione, Ron leaning against the arm of the couch beside her, McGonagall in one armchair, Dumbledore in the other, Harry leaning against the wall near the corner, and Ginny glaring at him nearby.

With so many people in the room, he suddenly felt claustrophobic and stopped on the threshold. Hermione looked up and recognized his panic. Immediately standing and crossing to him, she said, “Severus, I was just saying that anyone who hasn’t already been here was welcome to take the two-Knut tour. Why don’t you show them what you’ve done with the place and I’ll scare up some refreshments.”

McGonagall rose and said, “I’ll help you with the food, Hermione. I know well enough where things are.”

The Grangers stood too, and Dione said, “We can help.”

Dumbledore pushed to his feet and said, “I’d love to see your improvements, Severus, especially that lab Minerva raved about.”

Fred and George jerked to attention. Exchanging a look, Fred said, “Lab?” and George said, “Can we see it?”

Snape felt Hermione’s reassuring grip on his hand and took a deep breath. These people are on your side. Be gracious and grateful. Looking about the room, he said, “Follow me.”

He backed into the entrance hall, and Hermione stepped through the doorway into the dining room, McGonagall and the Grangers in tow. Dumbledore, Fred, and George stepped out to join him for the tour, leaving Molly, Arthur, Ron, Ginny, and Harry in the living room.

“Well, this is the front door. You’ve seen the living room. Through there is the dining room and then the kitchen. We’ll see them on the way back down to see the lab.” He led the way up the stairs.

In the kitchen, Hermione and her mother were rummaging through the refrigerator and pantry, and McGonagall was taking dishes out of the cabinets. Geoff stood out of their way until they had something to give him to do.

In the living room, Molly was staring at the photo, clearly conflicted. Wringing her hands, she turned to the others and said, “I couldn’t believe it when I heard. It seemed so preposterous! And I couldn’t imagine Severus allowing such a thing to happen…”

Ron and Ginny turned entreating faces on their mother, and Ron said, “But, Mum, you heard him. And you’ve seen them. What’s so hard to understand?”

Ginny added, “Isn’t love a good thing, like Neville said?”

Arthur put a comforting arm around her shoulders and said, “Molly-love, who are we to judge? We eloped, ourselves! I’d say it’s obvious enough that no one is taking advantage of anyone else here. Hermione may be young, but with the war, these kids have grown up beyond their years. She’s safe, she’s happy… Her parents accepted it. Who are we to criticize?”

Against the wall, Harry squirmed uncomfortably, unnoticed by the Weasleys. He peered past Molly at the photo, digesting the fact that Hermione was practically radiant beside Snape.

Molly made an impatient gesture and sighed. “I hear what you’re saying, Arthur. It’s just… difficult.”

At that, Ron snorted with rueful laughter, rubbing the back of his neck. “No kidding, Mum. But just look at it this way: isn’t it better to be surprised by something like this than by Dark Lords?”

Ginny sniggered and flashed a grin at her brother. Then she sobered and crossed to her mother. “I know you love Hermione like she was one of us, Mum. We do too. And Professor Snape loves her just as much. She doesn’t need your protection anymore. She’s got him.”

Molly washed her hands together again, and Ginny hugged her. Resting her cheek against Ginny’s hair, Molly sighed again and said, “I’ll try.”

Ginny bounced up and kissed her mother on the cheek. “That’s good enough, Mum. You’re the best.”

Molly patted Ginny’s back and turned to Arthur. “I just feel so out of place here. Can’t we go now?”

Arthur nodded and said, “I’ll tell Hermione we’re leaving. I should get back to work anyway. Not that anyone will be able to concentrate on doing anything, what with the trial to gossip about…”

He crossed into the dining room, and Ron stepped up to hug his mother as well. “Gin’s right; you’re top notch.”

Molly looked at her children and said, “Will you be coming with us?”

Ginny shook her head. “Not yet. I want to have a chance to catch up with Hermione first.”

“Same here.” Ron looked up as his father returned. “Say, Dad, is the food ready yet?”

Ginny rolled her eyes and smacked Ron in exasperation. “Honestly, Ron, can’t you think about anything other than food?”

Ron cringed and backed away, his hands up. “Oi! I was nervous for Hermione earlier and couldn’t eat much breakfast. Now that the trial’s over, and Snape’s not going to Azkaban or anything, I’m hungry!”

Arthur chuckled and shook his head, tucking Molly’s hand in the crook of his arm. “I’m sure they’ll have something soon. I’ll see you all at dinner tonight.” Looking at his wife, he said, “I’m going straight back to the Ministry, love.”

They crossed to the Floo and Arthur disappeared first, leaving Molly to follow a moment later on her way to the Burrow.

Ginny glanced at Ron again and said, “I’m gonna’ see if they need any help in the kitchen.” As she crossed to the dining room, she saw the Grangers entering from the other side, laden with trays of sandwiches to place on the table. Pausing, she turned and said, “Food’s ready, Ron.”

With that, she and Ron went into the dining room, leaving Harry alone in the living room. He pushed away from the wall and peeked around the doorjamb to see the others gathered around the table, plates in hand, eating and chatting. Glancing out of the doorway into the hall, he crossed to the front table and stood gazing down at the picture of Snape and Hermione.

He was standing there, fists shoved in his pockets, when he heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Whirling guiltily, he saw Snape pass through the hall with the twins and Dumbledore behind him. Snape’s voice carried through into the living room.

“Ah, I see that we have some refreshments in the dining room. I’d like to show you the rest of the house before we eat.”

Fred said, “Please do. I want to see this lab.”

Snape led them past the dining room to the entrance into the kitchen, then around and down the stairs into the basement. When they had all reached the bottom, George let out a low whistle.

“Wow. This is really something!” George exchanged an impressed look with his twin, who nodded.

Snape crossed to check on the status of the long-term contraceptive potion he was making, then went to the long marble counter where several different ingredients were in neat piles of varied preparations. “This is where I’ve been preparing the larger amounts of ingredients for making batches of potions for Fern.”

Fred and George frowned in confusion at each other just as Dumbledore said, “Fern? Isn’t that the woman with whom you are working to start a new company?”

Snape demurred, saying, “Well, I’m working for her, but yes, she’s the owner and manager of Vial and Vessel. I’m the producer behind the scenes.”

George stepped forward, one hand stroking his chin, and said, “Vial and Vessel, eh? What sorts of potions will you be making?”

“Well, Fern wants to make the standard health and beauty products,” and his lip curled in derision, “but she wants to make them as ‘all-natural and environmentally friendly’ as possible. Frankly, I’m more interested in showing that our products will be of the utmost consistent quality—”

Fred interjected, “Naturally.”

Snape squinted at the twins, who bore identical speculative expressions, and warily said, “Why do you ask?”

George grinned and clapped his hands together, saying, “I’m glad you asked. You see, my lesser half—”

Fred barked, “Oi!”

“—and I realized that if we were to create products that incited headaches and rashes and things like that, it would be a good idea to also sell products that could treat the results of our prank items!”

Dumbledore chuckled behind them, and Fred stepped up beside his brother, elbowing him in the ribs as he said, “We were looking into distributors, but hadn’t really got that far, when Ginny told us you were going into business now that you’d left Hogwarts.”

George continued, “So, we thought we’d see whether or not the company you were with might be interested in stocking product with Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes.”

Fred added, “And not just the normal, everyday stuff that you could sell elsewhere as well, but developing things specifically for post-Wheeze ‘issues.’”

Snape was momentarily bereft of speech. Never in his wildest imaginings would he have thought that he’d be legitimately propositioned for business by the Weasley twins. Blinking, he faltered, “I-I’d have to talk to Fern, but… But I think the idea has merit.”

Fred and George exchanged smug grins, and George said, “Of course. You know where to reach us, right?”

Fred leant forward and said, sotto voice, “Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes, 93 Diagon Alley.”

Dumbledore sniggered again, and Snape managed a faint smile. Inclining his head, he said, “I’ll contact you once I’ve talked to Fern. I know she’s just starting the campaign to get shops to stock us. I’m sure she’ll be interested.”

As one, Fred and George said, “Excellent,” and thrust their right hands out. Snape shook one after the other, then gestured toward the stairs.

“Shall we head back up for some lunch?”

All four men climbed the stairs and joined the others in the dining room. McGonagall had already had a sandwich and some tea, and was just waiting for Dumbledore to return before she left. When they entered from the kitchen, she ducked past them, plucking at Dumbledore’s sleeve to get his attention. He spun and stepped back into the kitchen with her.

“I’m sure Severus and Hermione will have plenty to talk about, and no doubt it’s wearing to have company right now. Why don’t we let them be and go back to Hogwarts? If we leave, perhaps it will spur the others to go too, and give them their privacy back.”

Dumbledore looked wistfully at the sandwiches, but nodded. “Good point. Let’s say our goodbyes.”

They edged into the full dining room again and Dumbledore said, “Thank you for the lovely tour, Severus. Minerva and I have some things to attend to at Hogwarts. We’ll leave you to the rest of your day.”

Snape rose from the chair he had dropped into and said, “Thank you, Albus, for defending me once again.”

Dumbledore smiled and waved his hand airily. “It was the least I could do, dear boy.” Snape shot him an aggrieved glance for the endearment, but Dumbledore just chuckled. “Hermione, my dear, good luck with your department. And both of you, keep in touch.”

Hermione smiled. “Of course, sir.” She gripped his hand as he passed her on the way to the living room.

McGonagall paused by Snape and said, “I expect to be invited to the wedding, you know.”

Snape chuckled and submitted to her hug. “Thank you, Minerva.”

Smirking at him as she hugged Hermione too, she said, “Anytime, Severus. Just… try not to need it again, all right?”

Everyone laughed as she waved, following Dumbledore to the Floo, where they disappeared back to Hogwarts.

Fred and George were leaning against the wall, mirroring each other with a sandwich in one hand as they discussed which products they wanted Vial and Vessel to develop first.

Dione poured Snape some tea, quietly patting his shoulder in comfort as she passed it to him. He looked up, and she offered a faint smile of encouragement. To one side, Geoff and Hermione were discussing where she wanted to go first on their shopping trip, and what features would best suit her needs.

Laying their plates on the table, the twins looked at Snape and Hermione, and Fred said, “Thanks for the nosh, Hermione.”

George said, “And thanks for the tour. That’s quite an outfit you’ve got down there.”

Smiling, Hermione said, “Thank you for coming today.” She reached over and clasped Snape’s hand. “We appreciate it.”

Snape nodded, then said, “I’ll owl you when I know more.”

Clapping his hands again, George said, “Jolly good! Come on, Fred, we’d better make sure Verity hasn’t let the place burn down in our absence.”

Affecting mock-weariness, Fred laid his hand across his forehead and said, “It’s so hard to find good help these days.”

With parting grins, he and George Disapparated from the spot, leaving the others to laugh at their dramatic departure.

Harry sidled past the group and into the hallway, looking up and down the corridor. He saw the door under the stairs and crossed to it, guiltily remembering the unhappy child-Snape he had seen in Snape’s memories during those abortive Occlumency lessons and wondering if the door could lead to something similar to the cupboard under the stairs he had grown up in at the Dursleys’. Hand on the knob, he paused, uncomfortable with the clenching of his gut at the thought that perhaps he and Snape had more in common than he had previously thought. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door—and exhaled in relief to see that it was not a dusty prison, but a simple toilet and sink.

Back in the dining room, on the tails of the laughter at the twins exit, Dione said, “Hermione, dear, shouldn’t you and your dad get going if you want to hit all those places to comparison shop first?”

Snape’s head snapped up from his absent staring at the table and he looked at Hermione with alarm. Composing himself, he cleared his throat and said, “Your mother is right, however, could I have a word with you before you go?”

Hermione nodded and stood at the same time Snape did, wondering what he was so upset about, and said, “Of course.” Nodding at the rest of the group, she said, “Excuse us,” and followed Snape into the hallway.

Harry heard movement and turned to see Snape backing into the hallway from the dining room. Flustered, Harry ducked into the W.C. and shut the door quietly behind him. Leaning against the door, heart pounding, he chastised himself for panicking. What is wrong with you? It’s a toilet, for gods’ sakes!

Snape and Hermione stopped in the hallway and glanced back at the others, then Snape drew Hermione further down the hall toward the kitchen entrance. He didn’t want the others to hear their conversation.

Hermione peered up at his anxious expression and murmured, “Severus, what’s wrong? I can see something’s upset you.”

Snape’s eyes closed as he scowled. Looking down in shame, he said, “Are computers… terribly expensive?”

Hermione jerked back, blinking in surprise. Bewildered, she said, “Well, they’re certainly not cheap, but they’re not exorbitant. Why?”

Grinding his teeth, eyes closed again, Snape said, “I’m so sorry…”

Mystified, and growing more alarmed at Snape’s manner, Hermione gripped his arm and said, “Sorry for what? Severus, you’re scaring me. What’s wrong?”

Exhaling harshly through his nose, Snape said, “I promised to take care of you, to provide for you, and now I can’t, and I—” He stopped suddenly, unable to continue.

Searching his face, Hermione said, “What on earth are you talking about?”

His voice sounding like it was being ripped from his throat, Snape said, “The fine! I don’t have enough. I spent so much already, on the house, and… other things.” His eyes inexorably flicked to the ring. “And now you need this computer, and I can’t afford it. I don’t have enough to pay the bloody fine, and I don’t know how or where to get it, and if I don’t, then they’ll probably cart me off to Azkaban, and I won’t be able to pay the bills on the house, and I could lose it, and I wouldn’t be able to take care of you, and I could lose you too!”

His voice rose in anguish and he raked his fingers through his hair, gripping it and grimacing at the sting on his scalp as well as the pain in his heart.

Hermione gaped at him in horrified understanding. Throwing herself against him and wrapping her arms around his ribs, he hugged him fiercely and said, “Don’t! It’s all right. It’ll all work out. We’ll be fine, dearest. Just stop punishing yourself!” Backing away enough to reach up and untangle his hands from his hair and meet his tortured eyes, she said, “As far as this computer thing goes, don’t even worry about it. My father already told me that he and Mum decided they would buy it for me as a congratulations for finishing school with top marks and getting such a great job. I wasn’t expecting you to pay for it anyway, love! I have my own money—some, anyway, and we’ll figure out how to get the rest for the fine… together. You’re stuck with me, Severus, no matter what. I love you.”

The knot of guilt and shame in Snape’s gut loosened a little and he tried to take heart from her declaration that things would work out. Aware once again of how much he loved the woman before him, he crushed her to him in a fervent embrace, kissing her hair and murmuring, his voice shaky, “I love you. I’m so sorry to put you through this…”

They were silent for a moment, taking comfort in each other’s arms.

In the W.C., Harry was plastered against the door, barely breathing as he listened with all his might to the hushed conversation happening on the other side. Unexpected sympathy tightened his throat, and his cheeks warmed with embarrassment that he was eavesdropping on such a private moment even though he made no move to stop.

Finally, Snape backed away and said, “Your father is waiting. Go; do what you need to do. I’ll… think of something.”

Hermione stretched up and kissed him. “Don’t fret, love. We’ll figure it out.”

Hand in hand, they returned to the dining room. Harry listened to the footsteps and exhaled, wondering if he could make it back without anyone noticing. Carefully opening the door, he peeked down the hallway. He could hear the voices in the dining room and tiptoed to the doorway, where he then crossed to the far wall of the corridor and crept past it, hurrying to the entrance to the living room. Ducking in, he stepped over to the doorway into the dining room and leant against the doorjamb, hopefully looking as if he had been there the whole time.

Fortunately for him, when Snape and Hermione had left the room, Ron and Ginny had asked questions about computers, and Dione and Geoff were trying to explain them. Plus, as he had been acting quite the sullen brat, no one had been paying much attention to him all day.

Exchanging an amused look with Ginny, Ron said, “Too bad Dad couldn’t be here. He’d love hearing about all this stuff!”

Ginny giggled and said, “There’ll be other times, I’m sure.”

The Grangers crossed toward the doorway to the living room, and Harry backed out of it, watching them as they headed to the Floo. Ron and Ginny followed, with Snape behind them.

“Come on, Mum. Dad and I are going to Floo to the house with you, and then we’re going to drive out and about.”

Ginny sighed and said, “We’d better get going too. I was hoping to get a chance to hang out and catch up, but you’ve got more important things to do.”

Hermione darted over and hugged her friend, smiling. “We’ll get together soon; I promise.” Then, hugging Ron too, she added, “Thanks again for coming out.”

Snape spoke up. “Indeed. It was an unexpected pleasure. I appreciate your help.”

Ron beamed and waved his hand. “It was nothing, really. Just helping out a friend.”

At that, Ginny frowned and said, “I would have testified, too!” She turned to Snape with a petulant yet accusing look and said, “You just never called on me.”

Snape couldn’t help but chuckle. Shaking his head, he said, “I doubt the court could have handled your testimony, Ginny.”

Preening at the unanticipated compliment, she smirked and said, “Hmm, you may have a point,” then laughed.

Hermione crossed to Snape and said, “I’ll be back tonight.” Bouncing up to kiss him, she added, “Don’t you have a potion to finish while I’m gone?”

The gleam in her eyes made Snape smile even in the midst of his worry. “I do. Have a good trip.”

Flashing a dazzling smile at him, she said, “Love you!” as she rejoined her parents at the hearth.

“Bye, Severus. See you soon.” Dione and Geoff waved as they Flooed away, Hermione a step behind them.

When they were gone, Ron and Ginny headed toward the fireplace as well, then looked for Harry. Beckoning for him to follow, Ginny said, “Harry, come on.”

Still grappling with the conflicting thoughts and feelings stirred up by his unintentional discoveries, Harry, his hands shoved in his pockets, skulked over to the hearth, flicking a glance at Snape.

“Thanks for lunch.” Ron nodded again to Snape as he stepped into the Floo. Snape lifted his hand in farewell. Harry followed without saying a word.

Just before she stepped into the flames, Ginny grinned at Snape and said, “I’m so glad they didn’t send you to Azkaban.”

Snape’s brows rose in agreement and he nodded as the girl spun out of sight. When they were all gone, he heaved a deep sigh and turned to clear up the remains of the sandwiches before heading down to the lab.

Back in the Burrow’s crowded kitchen, Harry was waiting for Ginny to show up. Ron had already gone into the living room, and Mrs. Weasley was in the garden. Ginny spun out of the fireplace and stopped short at the sober look on Harry’s face.

One hand in his pocket and the other running through his hair, he said, “Uh, can I talk to you for a second?”

Crossing her arms and glaring at him, she retorted, “Are you finished being a colossal prat?”

Harry winced and rubbed the back of his neck, his cheeks flushing. “I deserved that.”

Instantly, Ginny dropped her aggressive pose and crossed to him, one hand cupping his elbow. “True, but you’re better now, right?”

Harry half-shrugged and looked at her, his expression sheepish. “I’m sorry I upset you. Your mum had it right: it’s just difficult.” He paused, heaving a deep sigh and moving to lean against the table. Taking off his glasses and scrubbing his face, he said, “It’s a good thing for Hermione that they didn’t sentence Snape to Azkaban.”

Ginny stepped over and leant against the table beside him, her shoulder against his. “No kidding.” Turning her head to gaze at his profile, she said, “So, are you gonna’ apologize to Hermione as well?”

Harry snorted faintly. “Yeah, I better… I guess I’ll owl her and ask when she’s free. Obviously she wouldn’t be there today.”

Patting his thigh in encouragement, Ginny said, “I’m sure she’ll be happy to hear from you.” There was a long moment of silence, then she said, “So, want to get Ron and play some Quidditch?”

Harry frowned in thought and flicked a glance at her. “Actually… I’ve got some things I need to look into. I’ll be back before dinner, all right?”

Ginny’s brows rose in query, but he just pushed away from the table and half-smiled in reassurance as she said, “Where are you going?”

“I… don’t know that I can say. It’s nothing bad; I promise. Just… tell everyone I’ll be back for dinner—and that I’m sorry for being such a git. Okay?”

Squinting at him in confusion, Ginny murmured, “All right. See you later.”

Harry grinned, ducked closer to her, and kissed her lightly before stepping back and Disapparating.

Baffled, Ginny muttered, “Harry James Potter, what on earth are you up to?” as she went to find Ron.

Unbeknownst to the Weasleys, Harry popped into Ron’s room, where he was staying, and rummaged through his trunk. He pulled out his robes and Invisibility Cloak, smiling. Shrugging into the robes, he stuffed the cloak into his pocket and Disapparated again.

*** ***

Snape was in his lab, scraping willow bark, when he thought he heard something from above. Pausing and lifting his head toward the basement door, he listened. There! Was that knocking? Several faint thumps had happened, and he remained still. Perhaps it was just something outside. After a few beats, they happened again, so Snape put down the willow bark and climbed the stairs.

At the top of the stairs, he paused again, listening. When the knocking resumed, it was louder, and he could tell that it was coming from the front door. Frowning in irritation, he strode through the house and flung open the front door to see…

Nothing.

No one was on his doorstep, nor was anyone even near his house. Eyes narrowing in suspicion, he looked up and down the street and even lifted his gaze above him. No sign of anyone or anything that could have been knocking on his door. Huffing, he backed up, about to slam the door shut when he heard a soft whisper saying, “Professor?”

Snape went still, except for his hand creeping toward his wand in his pocket. Again, he heard, “Professor, it’s me, Harry.” With that, suddenly a pair of spectacled green eyes appeared in front of him.

Snape’s eyes went wide, and he jerked back, hissing, “Potter! Get in here before someone sees you!”

Harry’s eyes disappeared, but Snape heard his footsteps coming into the house, and he slammed the door shut, whirling to see Harry emerging from his Invisibility Cloak.

“What the bloody blazes are you doing, boy?” Snape glared at Harry, growling, “Why are you even here? Hermione’s with her father; but you should already know that!”

Harry wadded up the Cloak and looked away, muttering, “I’m not here to see Hermione. I wanted to talk to you.”

Snape threw his hands in the air in defeat and spun, charging into the living room as he said, “I give up! I thought this day couldn’t get any worse…” Harry followed to see Snape dropping dramatically into an armchair and gesturing to him. “Well, go on then, Potter. You did nothing but sulk the whole time you were here earlier—didn’t say word one! What, were you afraid to say how you really feel in front of everyone else? It’s obvious, or you wouldn’t have been acting like such a spoilt brat.”

Harry scowled back at Snape, stung by the truth of the older man’s words. Hands balled into fists at his sides, he glared and barked, “Just shut up, all right? You don’t know everything!”

Sneering, Snape retorted, “Don’t I? Fine, then, Potter. Enlighten me.”

Sinking heavily onto the edge of the other armchair’s seat, Harry ran his hands through his hair and focused on the floor. “Look, I thought we were good—after the performance. You were nicer; things were better. But then you… and Hermione…”

He trailed off, clearly struggling, and Snape growled, “Hermione and I what, Potter? She loves me, and you can’t stand it. Look at you, you can’t even say it!”

Harry whipped his angry gaze to meet Snape’s and yelled, “Stop antagonizing me! I’m not here to fight!”

Leaning forward in his chair, Snape retorted, “Then what areyou here for?”

Harry shot to his feet, looking ready to launch himself at Snape as he shouted, “I’m here to try and help you, you stonking great git!”

Rearing back and flinging his hands out, Snape cried, “Oh! Here’s the childish name-calling—” Then he stopped, pinning Harry with a suspicious glare as the rest of his statement sank in. “What did you say?”

Fuming, Harry bit out, “I said I’m here to try to help you. For Hermione.”

Eyes narrowed, Snape said, “And just how do you propose to do that?”

To Snape’s surprise, Harry averted his eyes, cheeks flushing even more, his expression one of guilt and shame. Walking away until he was behind the couch—almost as if he needed it for cover—he crossed his arms defensively and mumbled, “I heard you and Hermione earlier.”

Snape, more disturbed by the boy’s demeanour than his words, said, “When? What are you talking about?”

Taking a deep breath, Harry said, “I was in the loo when you and Hermione were in the hallway. I heard what you said.”

Snape’s eyes widened so much that a ring of white was visible around the black centres. His hands gripped the arms of the chair until the yellow of his knuckles was visible beneath the taut skin. Humiliated and incensed that the boy had eavesdropped on his private shame, Snape’s whisper was deadly as he said, “Get out.”

Harry flicked a frightened glance at Snape and lifted his hands in a calming gesture. “Just listen—”

Get. Out.

“But—”

Now!” Snape pushed to his feet, grabbing his wand as he stood.

Harry immediately snatched his wand from his pocket and held his ground, breathing hard as he faced Snape’s rage. Desperate to stave off a duel, he blurted, “I can loan you the money!”

Snape’s lip curled, baring his teeth as he advanced. Harry cast a Shield Charm, just in case.

“Do you want to take the chance of losing this house, of hurting Hermione?”

Snape stopped, glaring daggers at Harry, his hands clenched into fists.

“I can loan you the money. Honest. No catch. I’ve already been to Gringotts. I’ve got enough; you need it. I know you’d pay it back, so what’s the problem? Don’t you think Hermione’s gone through enough? Why can’t you just accept my offer and get over it?”

Harry’s words filtered through the red haze of Snape’s ire and he growled, “Why?”

Swallowing hard, trying to still the racing of his pulse, Harry said, “Look, it’s not easy to get over years of hate, okay? But I love Hermione, and if she loves you, then we have to be able to get along, ‘cause neither of us is going anywhere.”

Snape, unblinking, merely waited for Harry to continue.

“Everyone said it at the trial: you’ve saved my life time and again. I owe you.”

Snape remembered their truce after the performance. Finally starting to let go of his anger, he rumbled, “I told you: we’re even.”

Harry shook his head. “Nice sentiment, but not true. You’ve done far more for me than I ever could do for you. Now it’s my turn to return the favour.” He watched Snape relaxing from his battle-ready tension and ended the Shield Charm. “We can go to Gringotts and have the goblins draw up a proper loan—it’s not charity.”

Snape cut a dark glance at the boy and went back to his chair, sinking wearily into it and cradling his head in his hands, his elbows propped on his knees. His voice was low as he said, “Who put you up to this? Ginny?”

Offended, Harry, said, “No! I didn’t tell anyone what I heard. No one knows I’m here.” He paused and gave a weak chuckle. “So, uh, please don’t kill me and use me for potions ingredients, ‘kay?”

Snape snorted and drawled, “I’m making potions, not poisons, Potter.”

Grimacing, Harry said, “Oh, ha ha.” He edged around the couch and sat. “I told her I’d be back for dinner, but not where I was going. It-It’s none of her business unless you want to tell her.”

Snape jerked his head in acknowledgement. Faintly, he said, “You don’t even know how much I need.”

Harry took a deep, cleansing breath and said, “It doesn’t matter. My inheritance has been drawing interest for years. Whatever you need, we can work out a loan. Tell me how much you need, how much you can pay each month, and we’ll settle on a decent interest rate and figure out how long it’ll take to pay back—which doesn’t matter. It can take as long as it needs to take.” He eyed Snape’s still-hanging head and said brightly, “So, do we have a deal? We can make an appointment at Gringotts tomorrow and get the damned Ministry paid off before that jackass Conroy can give you any more grief.”

Snape was staring unseeingly at the floor. His gut writhed with mortification and resentment and relief. He didn’t want to be indebted to a Potter—again—but the boy—young man—was offering up a perfect solution on a silver platter, no strings attached. He’d never be able to find a better loan from anywhere else, and he was adamant that he wouldn’t broach Hermione’s money for his punishment.

Harry could tell that Snape was struggling with his offer. His newly-awakened sympathy kicked in again and he tried to lighten the mood. “Just say yes and let’s move on. I swear I won’t hold it over your head or anything.” Snape lifted his head to cut an acid glance at Harry. Taking that as an encouraging sign, Harry continued, “I mean, I’m not afraid of you or anything; I’m afraid of Hermione.”

Snape cocked one eyebrow at Harry’s owl-eyed, earnest statement and snorted. “As well you should be.”

Harry flashed a lopsided grin and Snape sat back in his chair, looking absolutely wrung out. Rising, he crossed to Snape and said, “So, meet you at Gringotts tomorrow morning?” extending his hand.

Snape eyed the proffered hand for a long moment, but Harry didn’t back down. Looking up with a resigned expression, he gripped Harry’s hand and shook it once before releasing it and letting his own hand drop back into his lap.

Harry beamed with relief that his idea had worked, and he hadn’t ended up hexed to bits. “Brilliant! How’s ten sound to you?”

Snape shrugged. “Fine.”

Rubbing the back of his neck, Harry exhaled heavily and said, “All right then. I’ll see you tomorrow at ten.” He sought Snape’s eyes and held his gaze. His voice was soft as he said, “You won’t regret it.”

Snape snorted again and rolled his eyes. “We’ll see about that.” Shoving to his feet, he said, “I have work to do…”

Smirking, Harry said, “You don’t need to show me out. I’ll just get out of your way, then.”

Harry loped up to the fireplace and tossed in a pinch of Floo powder. Before he could step into the flames, Snape’s quiet voice said, “Thank you… Harry.”

Harry spun, a pleased smile on his face, and said, “No worries, Professor,” as he stepped backward into the Floo and whirled out of sight.


Phantom of Hogwarts by Good_Witch [Reviews - 23]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved