Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
General

Phantom of Hogwarts by Good_Witch [Reviews - 59]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Author's Note: Gobs and scads of thanks to all of you faithful readers who have stuck around this long and who leave me reviews that make my day! Thanks as usual to SnivellusSnape, Laela, Horserider, and yutamiyu for help and feedback. Oh, and I'm really interested in your ideas on what it is Snape is making in this chapter... So post a review and tell me your ideas! LOL Hope you enjoy the continued journey... Thanks for reading! :)
Cheers, Nicole aka Good_Witch

Chapter 28- Preparations

Snape peered into his potions ingredients cabinet. It wasn’t fair to call it a cabinet, really, considering that it was more of an armoire with drawers, many of which were set up with dividers like an apothecary’s would be. One side of the huge fixture was a series of shelves and hooks, upon which various things were laid or hung, drying to the proper consistency and potency. Snape was standing inside the open doors, which were taller than even his lanky frame, methodically eyeing the pieces of bicorn horn in one of the drawers’ compartments. Most potions that required bicorn horn needed it in a powdered state, and one could easily buy that at the apothecary. But Snape found that he preferred to powder his own, and pay the lower price for the whole horn, since he used so much in his research and in the preparations he made for Hogwarts.

But this time, he wasn’t inspecting the horns for potions quality. He was looking for one that was smooth and lustrous, and of a deep rich colour. Finally, comparing a few pieces, he decided on one and carefully put the others away.

He strode over to his lab table and placed the horn on the surface, clamping it down tightly. Reaching for the sharp knife he needed, he measured how thick of a slice he wanted. Satisfied, with surgical precision borne of years of practice, he sliced off the disk, pleased with the shine that bespoke a smooth cut. After he put the rest of the horn back, he returned to his table, gazing thoughtfully at the disk. He picked through his tools and came up with a sharp pointed pick, much like the kind Muggle dentists use to clean between patients’ teeth. Rooting around some more, he found another tool, which was a tiny, sharp V. Muttering a few charms to hold the disk in place and yet leave him free to work, he leant close, his nose almost touching the sliver of horn, and began to trace an image on the disk. A tiny curl of horn wound up from beneath the point.

His deep concentration was evident in the tense furrow of his brow and the thin line of his lips. His shoulders were tight, controlling the precise, finicky movements of his steady hand. After nearly an hour, he finally eased back, a thin sheen of perspiration on his face, even though the dungeon was fairly cool. He surveyed his progress grimly. Then, with a satisfied sigh, he placed the tool on the table and shook his hands loosely from the wrist, easing their cramp. Rolling his head on his neck, he stretched his arms over his head and leant back, sighing at the audible cracks along his spine.

Looking at the time, he realized that it was late, and he should get some grading done before his after-hours rounds. Standing gracefully, he cast one last scrutinizing look at the project on his table, smiling faintly before he strode out of his lab and into his office.

********* *****************

On her way to the owlery, Hermione glanced again at the notice board. ”Friday December 5: block Dressing Room through the second Angel of Music. Actors required to attend: Harry, Ron, Neville, Millicent, Hermione, Professor Snape.” Idly, she wondered how many people would show up, since very few were required. At least Ginny wasn’t supposed to attend, so hopefully she wouldn’t be there to scrutinize Hermione’s relations with Snape!

*********** ******************

Friday’s rehearsal was a small one, and most of the rest of the cast that was not needed didn’t show, preferring to plan their Hogsmeade outing for the next day. Ginny was hanging around in the corridor, waiting with Hermione, Harry, Ron, and Neville for Dumbledore to finish transforming the Hall. Draco and Pansy were waiting several feet away with Millicent, showing Slytherin solidarity until it was time for the rehearsal to begin. Snape appeared at the end of the corridor, at the top of the dungeon stairs. As he approached the Great Hall, Dumbledore threw the doors open wide, gesturing for everyone to enter. Snape nodded approvingly at Draco and Pansy as they left their friend and passed Snape on their way to the dungeons.

Closing the doors behind him, Snape followed the group down to the stage. Hermione was muttering earnestly to Ginny, who was looking rather petulant. He was idly watching them, curious about their conversation, when he was startled by Dumbledore at his side.

“Severus,” he said sharply. Snape whipped his head around, instantly attentive.

“Sir?” He schooled his expression into one of polite inquiry and spun his body to face the older man. Dumbledore was eyeing him sternly, and Snape felt a curl of apprehension in his gut.

“Didn’t I tell you that when you are onstage, I want your hair back as it’s to be for the Phantom? I’m disappointed that you have not followed my instructions.” His brows drew together and he tilted his head forward, peering at Snape over his spectacles.

Snape felt relief flood his gut, washing away the apprehension. Tilting his head to one side, he slowly said, “Actually, sir, I recall you wanting my hair back whenever I wear my costume. As we are not wearing our costumes yet, I hadn’t thought any more about it.”

Dumbledore frowned. “Well, I can’t very well see how the light will play on your face in the blocking if your hair is in it, now can I?” he huffed irritably.

Snape assumed a properly contrite expression and nodded to the headmaster, smoothly saying, “Of course not. How foolish of me not to think of that. I apologize. If I may go remedy the situation now…” He trailed off on an up note, and Dumbledore nodded.

“By all means.” He nodded crisply to Snape and turned to the rest of the group, effectively dismissing the dark man.

Snape instantly spun to seek Hermione. Striding quickly to her, he interrupted her and Ginny in a heated conversation. “Miss Granger!” he barked. Both girls jumped, turning wide eyes on him. He noted the blush on Ginny’s face deepening under his scrutiny and wondered what they had been talking about.

“Yes, Professor?” Hermione asked in a respectful tone.

“Come with me. The headmaster requires my hair to be styled as the Phantom’s every time I am to be onstage. From now on, you will assist me in this before each rehearsal in which I appear.” He glared down his nose at her.

“Yes, sir.” Hermione ducked her head to hide her dancing eyes and nodded meekly. Snape jerked his head sharply at her and glared his dismissal at Ginny. The redhead scurried away, and Snape stalked up the aisle, with Hermione in his wake.

They made their way down to the dungeon in silence. Snape cast several sidelong glances at Hermione as they went, seeing colour rising along her throat to stain her cheeks, and watching her chewing her lip, a faint smile quirking her mouth. He, too, felt a sense of excitement, or anticipation, knowing they were about to be alone again in his quarters. He passed his wand over his door, dropping the wards, and opened it, gesturing for Hermione to enter. She glanced up at him shyly, smiling.

Once inside, Snape shut the door and leant against it. Hermione had stepped a few paces into the room, and stood there, her back to him, tension growing in the air.

Snape stared at her, devouring her with his eyes. Hermione stood still, her body trembling with the buzzing that Snape’s gaze on her provoked. Finally, Snape moved behind her, his body heat crossing the short distance between them. Hermione closed her eyes and shivered as every hair on her arms stood on end, straining toward him. His presence enveloped her like a warm blanket, and she felt the pulsing in her centre that bespoke her desire for him.

Snape stood millimetres away from her, not touching her, but almost. His breath stirred her curls as he looked down at her. He could hear his heart beating fiercely in the silence, and wondered if she could as well. His breath was ragged as he fought for control to not catch her up in his arms and cart her off to his bed on the other side of the door. Mastering himself, he merely whispered, “Hermione…”

She sighed in response, leaning back, giving herself over to him. Her body came to rest against his, and his breath caught. He closed his eyes, and was surprised to feel her hands scrabbling for his. She gripped his hands and brought them around her, wrapping herself in his arms. A content smile hovered on her lips and she sighed again.

Snape’s chin was resting on her head, and he lifted it, tilting his head forward, kissing her hair as he murmured, “I’ve missed you.”

Hermione lifted one hand to caress his face above her head, and her voice shook as she said, “I love you.”

Snape’s chest tightened almost painfully and he held her tighter. The gentle kisses on her hair suddenly travelled down over her ear and along her throat with more urgency. Hermione leant her head to one side, giving him easier access, moaning in delight at the sensations.

Hermione pressed back against him and once again felt him hard against her. A thrill coursed through her, and she struggled to turn in his arms. Snape’s kisses trailed over her jaw and up her cheek as she spun to face him. Once she was facing him, she snaked her arms up around his neck, her fingers sliding through his hair. Finally, Snape pulled back and locked gazes with her. Hermione’s breath caught at the intensity in the inky depths of his eyes.

Eyes locked, excruciatingly slowly, they closed the space between them and their lips touched. As pent up as their passion was, their kiss was as sweet and tender as any unspoken declaration of love could be. Their souls spoke to one another through gentle caresses of tongues and lips.

After what seemed like hours, Snape pulled back and took a deep breath. With eyes filled with regret, he gently put Hermione from him, lightly running his fingertip across her lips.

“We’ve stolen enough time already. We need to do my hair and get back up there. Dumbledore was rather annoyed as it is that I hadn’t remembered to have you do my hair. Come, let’s get this done.” He clasped her hand in his and urged her to the chair in front of the fireplace.

Dazedly, Hermione sat, blankly watching Snape retrieve the hair products. He sat on the ottoman in front of her. Hermione chewed her lip in frustration and tried to steady her breathing. Determinedly ignoring the heat flowing through her body, she reached out and began combing Snape’s long black locks, smoothing the pomade through it. Snape’s eyes were closed in pleasure.

Hermione finished quickly, knowing they had spent too much time locked in that heated embrace. Still, as she finished, she couldn’t resist leaning forward and planting a soft kiss on the nape of his neck, below the point where the elastic held his hair in place. Snape shuddered and groaned at the tingle that travelled from that point straight to his cock. Doggedly pulling away, he turned and cupped Hermione’s cheek in his hand, his expression apologetic.

Firmly, he murmured, “We have to go now. Next rehearsal, you’ll be back again. But now, we must return.”

Hermione rumbled her discontent but nodded. Snape stood and pulled her to her feet. He led her to the door, where he stopped and faced her again. In a velvet purr, he said, “I wanted to tell you, you’ve been very good at being discreet. Keep it up. Especially now. And remember… I love you.”

Hermione beamed joyfully at him, pleased with the praise and basking in his love. He smiled warmly at her and jerked his head at the door. She instantly composed herself and nodded politely at him. His smile vanished and he opened the door, ushering her out.

They hurried back up to the Hall, and as they went, Snape blandly inquired, “What were you and Miss Weasley so intent about when I interrupted you?”

Hermione rolled her eyes and huffed. “She’s not needed at this rehearsal, but she wants to be here anyway, simply because she still wants to get back together with Harry.”

Snape’s brows rose in surprise. “Back together?”

Hermione nodded. “Didn’t you notice? They were together last year before the war ended. I would have thought it was obvious, especially with the way Ginny was completely taken with him. She has been to some degree since she was ten!”

Snape grimaced. In a deep voice, he muttered, “Why did I even ask? I don’t want to know these things…”

Hermione giggled. She cut a glance at Snape and continued, “I was trying to convince her to leave. And not just for her sake, if you know what I mean…” She favoured him with a pointed look and he snorted.

Nodding solemnly, he averred, “I believe I do. It would be safer if she weren’t at rehearsal.”

Hermione sighed. “We’ll see if she’s still there, I guess.” They arrived at the double doors, and Snape opened one, politely waving Hermione in ahead of him. Dumbledore was onstage with the others, having already blocked the beginning of the scene. Ginny was perched on a seat in the audience, gazing intently at Harry. As Hermione passed her, Ginny glanced at her, doing a double take at the sight of Snape a few paces behind her. Snape saw Ginny staring at him and glared coolly at her. She blinked and wrenched her gaze away, turning back to watch Harry again. Hermione joined the rest onstage, attentively pulling out her script and pencil.

When they reached the Magic Mirror scene, Snape quickly strode onto the stage, his script bewitched to float by him, and a Dicta-Quill poised above it. Even Hermione goggled at the impressive display of magical skill, as he serenely repeated the blocking, the Dicta-Quill recording it on the hovering script. He allowed a tiny smug smirk to quirk his lips at the amazed expressions on Ron’s and Neville’s faces.

Dumbledore simply chuckled and remarked on how convenient that must be. Once they reached the beginning of the Labyrinth Underground, Dumbledore stopped them and began again. As usual, they ran through the scenes twice more, walking and talking through them. Finally, when they were done, Dumbledore shooed them all into the house, extolling their virtues and reminding them to go straight to bed since they had the Hogsmeade visit to look forward to the next day.

Ginny hovered near Harry as they exited, brightly commenting on how well he was doing. Ron and Neville were comparing notes on their roles, and Millicent hastened away from all of the Gryffindors. Hermione followed the others a few paces behind, and Snape detained her at the doorway.

“Miss Granger.” Hermione turned instantly to him. Snape eyed her sternly and drawled, “Every evening that we have a rehearsal, I shall collect you after dinner, and before rehearsal is to begin. You will then assist me with my hair. Is that clear?”

Hermione politely replied, “Certainly, sir. I’ll be sure to be ready.” Then, she flicked a glance around, and seeing nobody looking, winked saucily at Snape. His eyebrows shot up, and he narrowed his eyes at her warningly.

Inclining his head, he merely murmured, “Good night, Miss Granger.” He swept past the rest of the students and down the corridor in a flurry of black cloth, leaving Hermione to watch him go, savouring the graceful billowing of his robes. Swallowing her grin, she hurried to catch up to the others.

Harry was scowling and muttering to Ginny as Hermione stepped beside them. Ginny was looking sympathetic.

“What’s wrong, Harry?”

Harry grimaced and said, “I was just telling Ginny that I have no idea what to do for my Secret Santa…”

Hermione cut him off warningly, “You didn’t say who you have, did you? Did he, Gin?”

Ginny shook her head as Harry huffed. “No! But like I said, it’s a Slytherin, and I am at a complete loss. Do you two have any ideas?”

Ginny shrugged and said, “Well, there’s always candy. You know Honeydukes has those sampler baskets.”

Harry nodded restlessly. Hermione added, “Or, you can always find a nice quill, or some candles. If it’s a girl, you could go with hair stuff, or perfume, or some baubles in Slytherin colours. There’re loads of things, Harry. You’ll come up with something.” She patted his shoulder, and was taken aback by the flash in Ginny’s eyes and the tightening of her lips.

Harry didn’t notice. Ginny took the opportunity to lay her hand on Harry’s arm and say, “Of course, like Ron said, you could always get stuff from Fred and George. They’d probably even do a discount for a friend.” The possessive air with which she glared at Hermione made Hermione stifle a snort.

Hermione edged away from Harry, all too willing to let Ginny move in. Harry sighed and admitted, “Yeah, you’re right. I wouldn’t take a discount, though. They need to make money too. I’ll see if I find anything tomorrow in Hogsmeade. Thanks, Ginny.” He flashed her a lopsided grin, and she beamed at him. Hermione managed to stealthily hang back, allowing Ginny to keep walking with Harry. Hermione noticed that Ginny didn’t release his arm until they reached the portrait hole.

Hanging back, Hermione smiled at Ron and Neville and asked, “So, have you figured out what you’ll give your person for the gift exchange?” Neville nodded nervously and Ron grinned.

“Yeah, I reckon I have an idea. I’ll be on the lookout tomorrow in Hogsmeade,” Ron said cheerfully.

“I think I know what I want,” Neville ventured. “That’s a good idea to look tomorrow.”

Hermione nodded as they clambered through the portrait hole. “Indeed. You know, I think we should all make sure that we get some time on our own tomorrow, since we’re supposed to keep things secret from the rest of the cast too…”

Harry looked up, brows knitted. “Keep what secret?”

Ron looked over and said, “The gift exchange thing. ‘Mione had a good idea about making sure we all get some time on our own tomorrow in Hogsmeade so we can get what we need without everyone else knowing.”

“Oh. Yeah, I guess that would be a good idea.” Harry relaxed visibly. He ran his hand through his hair and sighed. “Yeah, we should probably all split up so we can do our regular Christmas shopping too.” He flashed a grin at them. “I don’t want you lot to see what I’m getting you and spoil the surprise!”

Everyone chuckled. Hermione yawned and stretched. “Good night. I’m turning in. I have some things to figure out for my shopping list tomorrow. See you in the morning!” The rest murmured their good nights, and Hermione saw Ginny engaging Harry in a low conversation before she exited the common room. That girl wasn’t kidding when she decided that she wanted to get Harry back! Hmph, more power to her. If she does, it’ll keep both of them off my case, so I hope she succeeds!

Hermione sat down at her desk and penned another scroll to her parents.

”Dear Mum and Dad,

I really like Mum’s idea of having copies of the photos made for me to give to my friends for Christmas. However, I don’t know that I could find anyone in Hogsmeade here that could do it. Would one of you please forward me some contact information for some mail order photo shops? I haven’t decided what size I want to get yet, or how many copies I want. If you could just send me the names and addresses of a few out of the phone book, I’d appreciate it. Thank you!

Love, Hermione”


She readied the scroll and put it in her bag, planning to take it to the owlery the next morning before she left for Hogsmeade. Distractedly, she prepared for bed, completing her now nightly ritual of kissing the picture of her and Snape, hugging and smelling the old nightgown, and sending a silent wish of “Good night, sweet dreams, and I love you” in the direction of the dungeons.

******* *********************

Spirits were high at breakfast the next morning, with over half the student body chattering about the impending trip to Hogsmeade. Hermione and her friends were arranging how they would split up and for how long, so each of them would be guaranteed a chance to do their shopping in secret. Considering Hermione was involved, it was no surprise that there was a timetable being drawn up on some parchment between the toast and the pumpkin juice. Sputters of arguments sprang up periodically, as all of the Gryffindors on cast were involved in the negotiations. Finally, as the final result was agreed upon, the morning post flew in.

Hermione looked up in time to see a large grey owl arrowing toward her. It stopped on the table and extended a leg, allowing her to remove the scroll. As she was untying it, she saw it was from her parents, and she said, “Wait a moment, please. I have something for you to take directly back to the same place.” The owl hooted its understanding and Hermione fished her letter out of her bag, attaching it to the owl’s leg. She politely handed it a sausage, and tucked the postage into the sack on its chest. It fluttered its wings in acknowledgement and hopped away, winging back up and out again.

She opened the letter from her parents and saw that it was the recipe for the chocolate mousse. Smiling, she placed it in her bag, hoping she could find the right kind of chocolate at Honeydukes. Glancing up at the High Table, she saw Snape watching her through his hair, sipping his tea. She felt a pang of dismay that she had missed mixing her tea at the same time he had, but she had been busy with the shopping timetable, and hadn’t noticed. Shrugging sheepishly, she prepared her cup.

Not long after, Dumbledore announced that those who were going to Hogsmeade should assemble in the courtyard to be checked off the list with Filch. The Hall looked like it was a roiling mass as students shot to their feet as one, eager to get outside. Snape followed the crush of bodies out the doors, barking reprimands at those who were running or pushing. Once outside, he stood, arms crossed over his chest, glaring stonily at the teenagers as Filch checked them off his list. When all were accounted for, they began their trek to town. Snape followed the chattering throng, eyes seeking a familiar bushy brown head.

“What is Snape doing here?” Harry mumbled irritably to his friends.

Professor Snape…” Hermione chided.

Ron cut in, “Yeah, we know. Professor. Good question. He’s not going to spy on us while were in town, is he?”

Ginny piped up, “Hope not.”

Hermione heaved an exasperated sigh. “Perhaps he has shopping to do as well. He did have to draw a name too, you know.”

Ron shuddered. “Yeah, and I hate to think what he might give as a present. It’s bound to be something slimy and nasty.”

Ginny glanced swiftly at Hermione, wondering if she’d blow up at Ron like she had with her. Hermione’s eyes had narrowed and were sparking dangerously. Suddenly, she swung and smacked Ron solidly on the arm. He jumped and howled.

“Oi! What the bloody hell was that for?” He eyed her incredulously, rubbing at the sting on his bicep.

Hermione glared at him and growled, “Just shut up, Ron. You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Several yards behind them, Snape stifled a snort at the yelp the Weasley boy let out when Hermione walloped him. Merlin! Wonder what he did to deserve that. Besides being a general idiot, of course… Note to self: Do not antagonize Hermione. Seems she has a rather fierce swat…

Ginny just frowned thoughtfully. As Hermione simply tilted her chin up haughtily and kept walking, effectively ignoring the looks Ron and Harry were giving her, Ginny turned around and looked back at Snape.

Damn! Why is she looking back at me? That girl is far too clever. I guess I should go to Diagon Alley instead, so she can’t possibly deduce what and whom I’m shopping for!

Once they exited Hogwarts’ grounds, Snape paused. Grimly casting one last look at the woman he loved, blithely walking off with her friends, he Disapparated to Diagon Alley.

Snape gazed about at the milling crowd. Saturdays were always busy in Diagon Alley. He stepped into the walkway, interposing himself deftly between other shoppers. He let himself be carried along in the current until he came to Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions. Gracefully stepping aside, he entered the shop, scanning the place for any sign of what he wanted. Even though he was taller than most people, he still couldn’t see past several of the displays, and he sighed in resignation as a cheerful voice addressed him.

“Good morning! What can I help you with today?” He looked down to see a short witch in sky blue robes smiling up at him.

Clearing his throat, he glanced about stealthily. “Would you be so kind as to point me in the direction of your… ribbons, please?”

Madam Malkin blinked. Her smile faltered a moment before plastering itself back, albeit a little crookedly. “Ribbons… sir?”

Snape’s eyes narrowed dangerously and he sucked in a deep breath. In a deadly quiet voice, he retorted, “Yes. Ribbons. Which way?”

She swallowed nervously and spun. “Oh, uh, that way. To the right. Just behind the display with the blinking spangled robes.”

Snape inclined his head and murmured, “Thank you.” Then, drawing himself up regally, he swept away, dramatically flapping his robes. Madam Malkin stared blankly after him for a moment before scurrying behind her counter near the front.

Snape stalked up to the shelves of ribbon and cast a wary eye at them. He really felt quite out of his element. But, he felt a surge of relief when he found what he was looking for. He examined the ribbon, testing the tensile strength, evaluating the nap, feeling the softness. Grunting in satisfaction, he gazed around, looking for the notions section. He ignored the startled look a young housewitch gave him as he stalked up to the wall, picking out an appropriate clasp. As he turned to head back to the front counter, he caught the apprehensive eye of the young witch. He nodded gravely to her in passing and she bobbed her head nervously at him, sighing with relief when the intimidating man in black was gone.

Snape approached the counter and proffered the items to Madam Malkin. She briskly took the ribbon spool from him and inquired, “How much would you like?”

Frowning thoughtfully, Snape said, “Ah… Well… I suppose… Two feet?”

Madam Malkin’s brow furrowed in perplexity and she squinted at Snape. “Don’t you know how much you need?”

Snape felt the heat rising to his face and shook his hair forward. “Just… make an even yard and be done with it.”

She shook her head in wonder as she measured out the ribbon. Once she rolled up the piece, she picked up the other item, and her expression cleared into one of comprehension. “Oh! I see. You’re making some sort of accessory or adornment, aren’t you?”

Snape pinned her with an intense stare and she shrank back a bit. Hesitantly, she added, “It’s just that you have ribbon and clasps, and that’s usually what they’re used for…”

Snape voiced a noncommittal, “Mmm.” Madam Malkin tallied up the purchase and Snape paid her, declining her offer of a bag and pocketing his purchase. Grimly offering her a frosty bow, he spun on his heel to leave.

A slightly uncertain, “Thank you! Come again!” followed him out. Exhaling gustily, he mentally shook himself, shedding the uncomfortable experience before entering the throng again to make his way to Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlour.

He stepped into the parlour, instantly sticking out like a sore thumb against the light colours and cheerful décor. A fresh-faced young clerk stood at the counter. Snape sidled over and leant in secretively. The clerk stared at him, wary. In a quavery voice that broke somewhere in the middle of the sentence, he said, “How can I help you… sir?”

Snape drawled, “I would like to speak to Mr. Fortescue.”

The youth’s Adam’s apple bobbed as he stammered, “He, uh, he’s busy right now. Coming up with a new flavour, you know. Uh, I can help you.”

Snape glared at him, aggrieved, and said, “I doubt that. Go get Mr. Fortescue. Tell him Severus Snape is here to see him.”

Torn, the youth dithered. “I don’t know…”

Snape leant over the counter a bit more and growled, “Now.” The youth backed away hurriedly and scrambled to the door leading to the back room. Snape leant back from the counter and glanced around. Several patrons jerked their gazes from him as he caught their eyes. Rolling his eyes and snorting grimly to himself, he was pleased to see Florean Fortescue emerging from the back room, the youth trailing after him anxiously.

Pleasantly, he stepped up to the counter. “Ah! Severus. Long time, no see. How are things at Hogwarts?” He turned to the clerk and waved his hand airily at him. “Go on, do some work or something. I have business to attend.” The youth hastily made himself scarce at the other side of the shop. “What would you be needing today?”

Snape nodded at the other man, answering politely, “Hogwarts is still standing, even with the usual crop of imbeciles blowing up cauldrons. Actually, I’m not here for my usual research materials. I have a favour to ask of you.” He leant over the counter, turning his back to the patrons, who were surreptitiously eyeing them.

Florean’s eyes gleamed with interest and he laid one finger along his nose, also turning his back on the curious onlookers. “Well, what favour would that be?”

In all seriousness, Snape said, “I need a recipe for chocolate mousse.”

Florean’s brows shot up in surprise. Mildly, he drawled, “I would never have guessed that one…” Snape rolled his eyes. All too casually, he added, “And just what would you be needing that for?”

Snape grimaced and sighed. “It’s the latest freak of Dumbledore’s. We have a secret holiday gift exchange, and we’re supposed to make something. I know the person I have been assigned likes chocolate mousse, so I thought it’d be a good enough idea. I just need a good recipe.” He flashed an ingratiating smile at Florean and added, “And what better person to ask than you, England’s most accomplished purveyor of gastronomical delights?”

Florean visibly preened. “Well, since you put it that way…” He shot a smug smirk at Snape and sniffed. Straightening off the counter, he murmured, “Just a moment. I have just the thing…” He briskly strode into the back room again. Snape turned and rested his hip against the counter, crossing his arms over his chest and glaring at anyone who dared stare at him.

Several very quiet minutes later, Florean returned, bearing a parchment with his neat, clear writing on it. “Here you go! If you have any questions about the ingredients, let me know. I can tell you where best to get them if you like.”

Snape took the parchment, scanned it quickly, and muttered, “No, that’s not necessary.” He knew he could get all of the ingredients through the kitchens at Hogwarts. “This is precisely what I needed, Florean. Thank you.”

Florean shrugged. “Don’t mention it…” Snape’s head snapped up.

Flicking a glance around again, Snape murmured, “Actually, I would rather you not mention it either…” He affected a grimace at Florean’s narrowed eyes. “Secret gift exchange and all that, you know…” The other man nodded understanding and winked broadly at Snape. Snape pocketed the parchment and nodded politely. Straightening formally, he said, “I appreciate your help, Mr. Fortescue. Good day.” He spun on his heel and headed for the door.

“Any time, Professor. Ta!”

Snape exited and stood on the pavement for a moment. He looked back to see several faces plastered curiously against the windows. Sweeping a baleful glare over them, he snorted in morbid satisfaction at the haste with which they disappeared, leaving the glass smudged. He stepped off into an alcove between shops and Disapparated back to Hogwarts.

********** ***************

Hermione eagerly stepped into the bookstore in Hogsmeade, glad that she was alone, thanks to the timetable. She made her way straight to the proprietor. The droopy little man with a permanently red nose smiled benignly at her.

“All right there? What can I do for you this time, lassie?”

Hermione smiled. “Well, I was wondering if you have a Muggle Liaison, you know, to get Muggle books.”

The man blinked thoughtfully and said, “You know, I don’t. Never had much call for it here. But I can put you in touch with Flourish and Blotts. I know they have one, being there in London and all.”

Hermione almost bounced in excitement. “How soon can you do that? I’m looking for something for a Christmas gift.”

The man chuckled and jerked his head toward a dusty office near the back. “You can use the Floo to call them right now, if you like. You’ve made Floo calls before, right?”

Hermione nodded. “That would be perfect! May I just go back there?”

“Sure thing, lassie. The powder’s on the mantle. Let me know if they can help you.”

“Certainly. Thank you!” Hermione hurried back to the office and turned the corner, seeing the fireplace to her right. She picked up a pinch of powder and knelt on the hearth. Tossing the powder in, she said, “Flourish and Blotts,” and stuck her head into the green fire. After a moment’s dizzying spin, she opened her eyes to see another office, very like the one she was in, only larger. She saw someone hunched over a desk, back to her. Tentatively, she said, “Hello?” The person jumped and whipped around.

“Oh! You startled me! Hang on a tick, who’re you?” The dishevelled woman peered at Hermione over her spectacles.

“I’m calling from the bookstore in Hogsmeade. My name’s Hermione Granger, and I’m hoping to speak to your Muggle Liaison, please.”

The woman relaxed visibly and said, “Oh. Well, he’s out right now. But I can take down what you’re looking for and give it to him when he gets back.”

Hermione smiled gratefully. “That would be wonderful, thank you!”

The woman rummaged through the stacks on her desk and finally came up with an order form and a quill. “All right then. Title?”

“The Phantom of the Opera.”

“Author?”

“Gaston LeRoux.”

“And do you have any specifics on edition or anything?”

“Yes. I’m looking for a hardback edition. Good condition. The older the better. It was written over 80 years ago, so that should give you an idea. Illustrated is preferable. And if there’s an edition out there that’s leather bound, I want it.”

The woman glanced up at Hermione. “Don’t ask for much, do you?”

Hermione shrugged and grimaced. “I don’t know what’s out there, but it can’t hurt to be specific, can it?”

The other woman blinked. “You’ve got a point. Okay, I’ve got all that. Now, if he can’t find the perfect edition, what do you want to sacrifice first?”

“Oh, I don’t know. Can you just have him contact me when he finds anything? I can be reached at Hogwarts by owl post. And I have a Gringotts account, so I can arrange for payment when he finds what I want.”

“Sounds good then.” The woman finished jotting down notes and smiled politely at Hermione. “I’ll have him contact you.”

“Perfect! Thank you so much!” Hermione beamed at the woman and added, “Goodbye!” before she pulled her head out of the fireplace, closing her eyes once again at the whirling sensation. Carefully getting to her feet, she emerged into the store again and cheerfully approached the proprietor. “I reached them, and I placed an order to be handed over to their Muggle Liaison. Thank you so much for your help!”

He smiled again and said, “Eh, no worries. Anything to help a bonny lass like yourself.” Hermione chuckled.

“You wouldn’t happen to know where I might find picture frames in town, would you? I’m trying to do my holiday shopping today.”

Again, he blinked thoughtfully. “Now, I’d say you could check in Dervish and Banges. They’ve got a lot of bits and baubles there.”

“I’ll try there next. You’ve been extremely helpful. Thanks again!” She beamed at him as she hastened to the exit. He waved serenely at her.

“Good day to you, lassie!”

Hermione burst out into the chill sunlight on light feet. She bustled on to Dervish and Banges, glad that the shop was nearby. If it hadn’t been in the same area, she would have had to wait until the next stage of the timetable to go in. But, as it was, she went straight in and to the section with clocks and mirrors. Pleased that her instinct had been correct, and that picture frames were in the same section, categorized as “things that hang on walls,” she looked over the array of frames.

There were several sizes and materials. The wood ones were nice, in varying shades, but her eye was caught by the metallic gleam to one side. There were several shelves of metal frames, some black, some grey, some silver, some bronze, and some gold.

One frame style struck her fancy. It was for 5X7 photos, and the metal was engraved with vinery and inlaid with gems. It was available in both silver and gold, and the sign on the shelf claimed that the gems could be altered to any colour the purchaser wanted. Hermione smiled as she saw one silver frame with green gems amongst the engraved leaves. Slytherin colours… Severus would prefer that, I’m sure. She picked up that one and pursed her lips in thought.

I want to give my friends pictures too, so I should probably get more. But they wouldn’t want Slytherin colours! Peering through the selection, she picked up a gold frame with red gems and smiled. Perfect! Gryffindor colours for the rest… She grabbed a few gold frames along with the silver one and strode up to the counter to make her purchase.

Having arranged for the frames to be delivered to Hogwarts for her, so she wouldn’t have to carry them around and chance anyone seeing them, she checked the time and noticed that it was almost time for a zone change based on the timetable.

Eventually, after several zone changes throughout the day, she made it to Honeydukes. Relieved to finally be there, she headed straight for the chocolate. The delicious aroma filled her nose as she pulled the recipe from her bag. Let’s see… 3 ½ oz. milk chocolate, 3 ½ oz. semi-sweet chocolate… Okay, here they are. She looked at the blocks of chocolate in the display and glanced around to find someone to help her. A cheerful woman with rosy cheeks saw her seeking look and came over to her.

“What can I get for you?”

Hermione pointed to the two batches of chocolate and said, “I would like 3 ½ ounces of each of these, please.”

The woman deftly broke off pieces and weighed them, wrapping each in thick white paper. “Anything else for you today?”

Hermione spent a few minutes meandering through the store and picking some of her favourites as well as some selection for her friends to add to the photos she’d give them. Bagging her purchase, the rosy woman beamed genially at Hermione as she paid and left. Hermione managed to stuff her Honeydukes sack into her bag before she met up with the rest of her mates for the trek home.


Phantom of Hogwarts by Good_Witch [Reviews - 59]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved