Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?


Auror Moody was sitting with her in this treatment area, and several other Aurors and Order of the Phoenix members were scattered throughout the ward. There were some Death Eaters in a different ward, although far fewer of them. From the sounds outside her curtain, Emily decided that as much celebrating was going on as healing.

“It was quite a battle,” said Moody. Emily had found that letting her patients relive the experience while she tended their injuries sometimes helped them to deal with the emotional side of the trauma. “Of course, the Death Eaters got the worst of it for once, except maybe young Black out there.”

Emily looked up. “What happened to him?”

“Cruciated by that cousin of his. Not too badly, though. She was distracted. Never saw anything like it. These two Death Eaters were against a high cement wall sending curses in every direction when suddenly Gideon Prewett hits them with Rictusempera and Fabian hits the wall just over their shoulders with a Reductor Curse. The Death Eaters were screaming in horror and yet couldn't stop laughing as the wall fell on top of them and killed them. The sound of it would haunt dreams. Likely will.” He stretched his arm out as Emily finished the healing charm. “Enjoy the job almost too much, those two Prewetts. Highly effective, though.”

Emily finished with the veteran Auror and gave him some ointment to apply to his healed wounds to keep the skin supple. Based on the other scars he carried, she guessed that he had quite the collection of ointments that he didn't use. He thanked her and patted her hand before leaving her treatment area and shouting, “Hey, you lot! Best move along and not provide the Death Eaters with such an inviting target. Constant vigilance, after all!”

Emily didn't have any other patients to tend and peeked into a curtained area where Lily was tending Sirius. He seemed to be quite healed, as he was laughing with his caregiver and a cute blond girl that Emily recognized as the Hufflepuff with leaves in her hair. The blond would have graduated just last spring. She backed away from the curtain and prepared her area for the next shift.

“Emily.” She turned and saw Sirius standing there. She went back to work, straightening bandages and potions.

“Emily, I'm sorry for that note I sent. It was uncalled for.”

“You had strong feelings, I understand.” Emily was taking deep breaths to fight the returning nausea. She just needed to finish cleaning up and then she could go home, where Severus would fix her that potion.

“Lily had just told me about your baby. I knew since the night you broke up with me that it was Snape. I snuck back saw that he had come to see you again. But his kid, it's a bit hard to swallow that you could have enough feelings for him to have his kid.”

“I wasn't trying to hurt you, Sirius. I broke up with you because I needed to do what was right. I hadn't considered about a baby, it was just a bonus.”

“A bonus that you were able to use to get Snape to marry you. It wouldn't have worked on me, you know.”

Emily looked at Sirius, her eyes narrowed. “You don't understand any of this. Please leave it alone. That other girl seems devoted to you, Sirius. You should go be with her.”

“She'll wait. Why don't you explain it to me?” Sirius crossed his arms and leaned against the examination table, looking coolly at Emily.

Emily couldn't take it any more. She reached the wastebasket just as her lunch came up. She didn't see her husband hurrying through the curtain. She only knew that seconds later strong arms were around her, supporting her and holding her hair out of her face. She smelled something reassuring and looked up.

“Severus,” she breathed in relief.

His presence was calming as he helped her to the sink to wash out her mouth. “All better, now?”

“For now,” she answered. Her side was pressed against him and he was giving her warmth and strength. She stood against him and drew comfort.

“Emily,” he murmured, “is that the baby moving?” There was movement on the side of her tummy that was against him

“Yes,” she said softly, smiling up at him.

He moved his hand to touch the place where he noticed the soft tapping and drew her close with his other arm. He kissed her hair and enjoyed the moment. Looking up he saw that his wife's former boyfriend was watching them intently.

“Is there a valid reason for you to be questioning my wife, Black, or are you just trying to get some sort of revenge upon her for the betrayal or abandonment or whatever it is you feel she did to you?”

“I'm just curious, Snape. Were you listening in the whole time?”

“All the better to help my wife when she became ill. It's possible to know too much, Black.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

The men exchanged hostile stares while Emily started to feel ill again.

“Severus?” said Emily, “I really need to just get home.”

Severus looked down at his wife's face. It was gray and there were tiny beads of sweat on her forehead. “Of course.” He led her out of the exam area, keeping his eyes on Sirius Black until they were past the curtain.




Severus left his place of employment a little early on New Year's Eve to be met outside by Lucius Malfoy, who was backed up by Avery and Dolohov.

“Severus!”

“What can I do for you, Lucius? I am in something of a hurry.”

“Your plans for the next hour or two are hereby canceled. I have orders.”

“Oh?” Severus fingered his wand in his pocket.

“Yes, I am here to invite you to my family estate for an hour or two. It won't take long and then you may enjoy the rest of your holiday.” The three men in front of Severus took a step closer, their wands drawn.

“Well then, I shall be happy to join you, under the circumstances,” Severus answered. Dolohov grabbed his arm and Apparated.

When they arrived at Malfoy Manor, Lucius took Severus's arm and pulled him up the walk and into the house. “Ah, Narcissa, my love, look who I found in London. I thought I should bring him with me for some holiday cheer.”

Narcissa Malfoy, whom Severus had last seen when her surname was Black, looked paler than he had ever seen her. There was just a hint of desperation in her eyes as she looked at her husband and his companions. Using a well modulated voice that showed generations of breeding, she said, “Lucius, dear, your other guest is in the library. He seems quite impatient.”

“Well then, perhaps I should take Severus straight in, then. Could you offer something to these other gentlemen?”

“Certainly,” said Narcissa in an agreeable tone of voice that didn't match her eyes.

“Come, Severus,” said Lucius, leading him into a study he could only dream about. His fingers itched to touch the books on the shelves. The luxury of the carpet, the furnishings, the drapery gave a heady sensation of wealth.

“Young Mr. Snape,” said a voice almost too high-pitched to be properly masculine, “come closer. I have wanted to meet you for quite some time.”

Severus quelled his trepidation and sat where Lucius had put him, in a chair across the hearth from Lord Voldemort himself. It was hard to tell if the eyes were bloodshot or truly red, and the features didn't quite fit properly. The power of the man was undeniable.

Severus cleared his throat. “I didn't realize I could be so interesting to a man such as you.”

“You have no idea what interests me, Mr. Snape. I am a man of great curiosity. For instance, I wonder why someone such as you, by all accounts powerful in the dark arts, well respected within a certain club I have encouraged at Hogwarts, angry at the crowd that would fight me, would suddenly drop his associations and marry. Quite a charming girl, I hear, with impeccable family connections, yet the wedding was something of a surprise. What, one wishes to know, could happen that would interrupt what would have been a very useful association between you and me?”

Severus found himself trapped within the gaze of the other while his thoughts and feelings were ransacked. He forced himself not to wince at the growing pain in his head.

“I see. An agreement, an Unbreakable Vow—how unfortunate, and a child.” The man stared at Severus and pondered him. “An interesting set of circumstances under which to conceive a child. Young Snape will be as powerful as his or her father. Quite an addition to our family.

“Your wife is quite capable, herself. I wouldn't have expected one of her sort to be interested in making such a deal, and yet she did and has bound you in ways you don't realize yourself yet, the emotions you foster notwithstanding. Quite a formidable young lady. I remember her father, so unfortunate... her family has exemplary connections yet such regrettable ideas about me...”

The Dark Lord was silent for several minutes while Severus forced himself to return his stare and control his feelings.

“Yes, Mr. Snape, we are in a bit of a conundrum. I find much to admire in you and think our association would be quite felicitous for us both, and yet there is no way for you to join my group of helpers. I shall have to think about this.” He turned his head toward the door. “Malfoy!”

He turned back and fixed Severus with his gaze. “You have several times chosen not to join me, Mr. Snape. When I make the offer again, there will be no other option.”

“I understand,” answered Severus.

“You called, Master?” asked Lucius from the door.

“Yes, I am done with Mr. Snape, for the time being. Please return him to his home.”




“Emily, open up!” There was a terrible pounding on the door. She surfaced to consciousness and grabbed her bathrobe, which she put on over her nightgown. She glanced at Severus. He had needed a potion to ease the headache caused by Voldemort's Legilimency and it would keep him asleep for another few hours at least. She would have to deal with the fool alone.

“Emily! Em!” She went to the door and almost opened it when she pulled her hand back.

“Quiet down! What were you doing when we first met?”

“I was lying down on the footrest between bleachers at the Quidditch field.”

She opened the door and let him into the hallway.

“What is it, Sirius? Pregnant women need their sleep, you know.”

“Sorry.” He glanced at her belly and quickly averted his eyes. “You need to know this. You should probably get away. Snape was seen going into Malfoy Manor tonight.”

“What of it?” Emily yawned.

“Don't you see? He-who-must-not-be-named was there! Your husband is going to become a Death Eater for sure now.”

“He's not going to become a Death Eater. He would die if he attempted the oath.”

“How do you know that?” He crossed his arms and looked at her.

“It's far too involved and personal a story to tell you. As a matter of fact, I know exactly what my husband did this evening, whom he met and what happened. The situation is quite delicate right now and I would thank you not come barging in on us in the middle of the night when anyone could be watching outside—if you are truly concerned for my safety.”

Sirius blanched. “I didn't think.”

“Obviously, Sirius; please let it go. There are grave ramifications to your actions.”

She eased him toward the door and back out into the night. Sealing the door and making sure the flat was still in good order for the night, Emily made her way back to bed.

“He's still too brash and impetuous.” Severus had wakened after all.

“It's the night of the full moon all over again. And also once again, he's not the one in danger because of it.”

“He thought you would run away with him. He was trying to be your hero and save you from me.”

Emily smiled at her husband. “He doesn't realize that you saved me from him.”

Severus winced as the pain from his headache returned full force. “He's completely outside of the problem. Maybe he thinks being a Black will protect him.”

Emily got a washcloth rinsed in cool water and put it over Severus's head before sliding back into the bed. “It didn't save his brother. We do need to consider getting help, Severus.”

“I'm not going to the Order of the Phoenix. That would be the surest way to get us all killed.”

“What about Dumbledore? He told you to come to him in need.”

“Eventually it may come to that, but I would rather not. I think we still have time.” He didn't speak for a few minutes and then shifted closer to her. “Emily, is it all right if I rest my head here?” He put his head in a place he found very comforting. “This is much better.”

In response she put one arm around his shoulders and ran her other hand through his hair, gently rubbing his head. “Does this help?”

“Oh, yes.”

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved