Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.



Emily got off work early on the evening of her fifteenth wedding anniversary. Margo and Hope had insisted on having a family dinner at Margo's house, so Emily Flooed into her mother's sitting room. She hoped that meant that she and Severus would get time alone together later. Hope was sitting on the couch and jumped up as her mother arrived.

“Finally! Mum, you have to come upstairs to get ready.”

Emily was sure she heard the buzz of many people talking in the back garden. “Hope, are there a lot of people here? What did you and Grandma do? And where is your father?”

“Never mind that, Mum, you have to get dressed. Everything is right here in your room, and there's a hairdresser.”

“Margo Eileen, why on earth would I need a hairdresser for a small dinner with just the family?”

“Just sit down, Mum, and let her do her thing.”

Emily came out of the room a while later and descended the stairs. Severus was standing at the foot of the stairs in dress robes, not one of the sets of robes he had purchased over the years for various events, but the very robes he had worn on their wedding day. Suddenly Emily smiled and didn't feel so self-conscious that she had been coerced into wearing her wedding gown.

Severus was smiling as he watched his wife come down the stairs. “You look lovely, Emily. Part of me feels like I'm nineteen again, except I wouldn't give away the time we've had together since then.”

“Severus, this isn't a family party, is it?”

“No, dear, we have guests, many guests. Your mother and daughter got together this summer and after Margo described our wedding, Hope said she wished she could see it. In her never-ending need to spoil our daughter, your mother concocted this event and they've been planning it ever since. There has been quite a flurry of owls since we moved to Spinner's End.”

He handed her a bouquet. “This is for you.”

Emily took the flowers and got a little misty-eyed. It was exactly like the bouquet Eileen had made for their wedding, with one addition. “Severus, there are roses in this one.”

“I refused them, before,” he said. “I didn't realize then that what we share is true love. It's one of the reasons I'm glad that we're not nineteen any more.” He kissed her hand, right next to where her rings shone. “Come, we have guests to greet.”

“I hope there's something to eat. I've been looking forward to a nice dinner all day.”

The guest list was very similar to the one of their wedding. In addition to their Hogwarts classmates, the school's staff had been added. The staff at St. Mungo's had changed over the years, and certain people who were benefactors at both the school and the hospital had obtained invitations as well. Because of that, later in the evening Emily found herself dancing with Lucius Malfoy.

“Mrs. Snape, you are as lovely as the day I met you, and your daughter is quite charming. I see why my son is so taken with her.”

“She's a little young to be taken with anybody.”

“Nevertheless, after meeting the girl, I would be happy to start negotiating the contracts...”

Emily laughed. “You will have to take that up with my husband, Mr. Malfoy. I suspect you already have, though, and are trying a back-door approach through me?”

His eyes shifted, but he still pressed his suit. “It would be an exceedingly good match. Perhaps not quite as pure-blooded as my wife's family line, but all four of their parents are witches and wizards. Plus, we share a certain bond of service, as you are aware?”

Emily paused, looking for the best words to set this proposal aside.

“I know Severus has a certain fondness for your son, but he is not ready for even the idea of parting with our daughter. I'm sure he would insist upon waiting until she shows an interest in a young man before approaching any talk of marriage. I'm sorry, that's how it is, Mr. Malfoy.”

“But at that school, there are far too many Mudbloods, not to mention half-bloods and blood traitors. What will you do when she takes up with one of them?”

“For that matter, my family has been accused of being blood traitors, Mr. Malfoy. I think we will simply need to deal with that issue if it arises.”

Lucius let it go and tightened his arms slightly. “I must admit that as my son is smitten by the daughter, I find myself smitten by the mother.”

“Oh, Mr. Malfoy, you do flatter a girl! Anyone can see your wife is the most beautiful woman here. Is that the end of the song?”

“It is indeed, and forever after it will be 'our song,' Mrs. Snape. Thank you for the dance. Severus,” Malfoy said as he brought Emily back to her husband, “you have a lovely bride.”

“Thank you, Lucius,” responded Severus. He took Emily's hand and put a possessive arm around her waist. “I've often thought so, myself.”

The anniversary couple took to the floor before someone else could ask to dance with either of them. “So what did Lucius discuss with you?”

“He's quite the smooth talker, isn't he? He tried to convince me to arrange a marriage between our children, even after I got him to tell me you were against it. I flatly refused, of course.”

“Good girl.”

“Severus, I've been working all day. I've submitted to this party and it's lovely and dinner was delicious, but now I'm tired. Is there any way we can just go home now and leave this behind?”

“You're kidding. I think there are a few men here who haven't come to touch you, yet.”

“That's another thing. Lately it seems like every man I see wants to touch me. Just my shoulder or arm, usually, but it's weird. I don't think I invite it or anything. I'm tired, Severus, and I want to go home.”

“So you want to leave?”

“Yes.”

Severus swung his wife over toward the place where the two hostesses stood together. Emily kissed her mother and daughter goodbye.

“I took the liberty of re-arranging your schedule at work. They won't be looking for you until Monday morning,” said Margo. “Hope will be staying with me the whole time. Don't worry about her.”

“Whatever will the two of you plan while we're gone?” Emily was only half teasing.




Emily was tired enough to do Side-along Apparition with her husband. He took her, not home to Spinner's End as she had thought, but to the same small hotel where they had gone on their honeymoon. Severus brought her directly to their room, where their things had already been unpacked.

“I see that someone has been busy today,” said Emily, smiling.

“The party was for them. This is for us.”

Severus swept his wife into his arms and kissed her, lovingly and deeply. Releasing her lips so that she could get a chance to catch her breath, he kissed her throat and shoulders and then all the way around her neckline, again making it hard for Emily to breathe.

“Your gown still fits you beautifully.”

“Well, yes and no.” Emily turned pink. “Hope and Mum took it with my most recent measurements to be altered. The dressmaker said it needed very little alteration around the waist and that the increases to my other measurement would just make for a more interesting décolletage.”

“Much more interesting,” said Severus as his fingertips explored the curves pushed up by the dress. “I had to watch every one of your dance partners stare down on this. Only I may touch.” He continued to caress and look and kiss. Emily felt her knees start to give way. Severus brought her to the bed and they sat down together.

“Are you too tired? Would you rather rest now?”

Emily shook her head. “Oh, no, your kisses have made me weak at the knees, but I want more of them, and what comes after.” She unfastened his robe and started in on the garments underneath.

He turned her so that he could unfasten the hooks holding her dress together at the back. He started to push it from her shoulders, but Emily shook her head. She stood before him and let the dress slide slowly down her body. He watched her body come into view, perhaps softer now than it had been, but quite beautiful to him.

Severus stood next to his wife and removed the clothing she had unfastened and then continued removing the rest. She saw his strong body emerge, more wiry than muscular, slim and graceful. Their years together had added a softness to him as well, although not everywhere, Emily reflected as he removed the last of his clothing.

They made love with the skill that comes from years of learning to please one another. Afterwards, Emily all but collapsed into her husband's body, drained from her long day. He shifted their position so that he could look at her. He watched for a long time as she went to sleep, a soft smile on her lips. He pulled her closer and kissed her all over her face before allowing sleep to take him as well.

They spent the next several days enjoying their time together. Sometimes they went out to local shops and occasionally they went to sit by the pool. They didn't get to the pool very often, however, as Severus had only brought a string bikini for Emily to wear for that purpose and he was far too fascinated with it not to touch and explore how it worked. When that happened, they more often than not found themselves back in the bed.

When Emily arrived at work on Monday morning, she was greeted with many comments about how lovely the party had been from her female co-workers. Then she was subjected to comments about how well-shagged she looked from her male co-workers. Deciding that there was no shame in a married woman enjoying time alone with her husband, Emily just smiled softly and said very little in response.

End Notes: I was amazed this week to see that this story was selected to be a "Featured Story" this month. It's quite an honor and I am grateful to the staff at Sycophant Hex. Beta reader, Trickie Woo, has been instrumental in making this story what it is. Thank you!

Thank you, all, for reading my story. I have especially enjoyed your reviews.

******

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved