Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Dear Lucky,

My mum has a Muggle Studies book all about current events and it describes a “Summer of Love” in which American Muggles did all sorts of things back in the 1960's. She was horrified to find me reading about that and suggested something else. The term,“Summer of Love,” describes what happened at our house all summer, though, as my parents could not keep their hands off of each other even to eat dinner, it seemed.

Now it turns out that I'm getting a brother or sister this winter. Actually, I had a brother, for one day, but he was born too soon and died. Mum says this is an answer to a long held wish for her and Daddy and that she hopes I can be happy about it, too. It's hard to know what to think. I mean, if it's a sister, it's not like we'll be doing each other's hair or anything.

She's not very far along and most women continue with life as usual, but since there were problems with my brother, Mum is going to cut back a lot. She's going to stop working at the hospital when school starts and she and Daddy stayed home instead of coming to the Quidditch Cup with Grandma and me. Since we didn't all go as originally planned, Grandma and I came home early instead of staying over and we missed all of the excitement from that night. That was a benefit, at least.

One thing is completely back to normal after last year. They're arguing over “that boy” again. It must be your dorm mate. The other night Daddy was going on about how the boy lacks even basic talent and Mum kept telling him to give the boy a chance to grow into himself. After all, the boy's parents were heroes in the first war, she reminded him. Then Daddy got a bit miffed and Mum had to tell him that of course he's her hero and past that point I don't want to guess what happened.

There's some major thing going on at school this year, but Daddy won't tell me what it is. He just musses my hair. When I ask Mum, she just changes the subject to the baby. I know it's delaying tactics on both their parts. Whatever it is, it involves dress robes. I hope you bring some this year or you will be left out of whatever is going on. How do you like my new owl? I call him Gareth.

Sincerely,
Hope




Dear Hope,

I guess we know what the big deal is, now. I'm still not sure where the dress robes come in, but Gran said I had to have them, too. She made me try on five different sets at Madam Malkin's before finally deciding to get the first ones.

Our first Defense class was also all about Unforgivable Curses. It was startling to see the effect of the Cruciatus. To think of my Mum and Dad treated like that made me pretty upset. Professor Moody was really nice. He told me after class that he had heard I'm good at Herbology, so he offered to loan me a special book about the subject. He seems pretty friendly, even if he smiled at me in a funny way.

I do have some questions about the potions. If you are able to answer them early, I will be much better off by class tomorrow afternoon.

Sincerely,
Lucky





“Potter! Once again, claiming that he had no idea or intention of it, he's managed to push himself ahead, again.” Severus and Emily were in their sitting room after the Feast on Halloween night. Emily was sitting on the couch and Severus was pacing.

“Severus...”

“When is Albus Dumbledore going to realize that he's a menace to society and even to himself? I don't even know how to count the rules he's broken this time!”

“Severus...”

“How are we supposed to keep that boy safe when he's subjected to those trials? How can I make good on my promise to Lily's memory? This is going to be dangerous! He could lose life or limb and he's three years from being old enough!”

“Severus.” He finally looked over at his wife. She had a funny look on her face and her hands were on her tummy. He rushed over to her.

“Is something the matter with the baby? You aren't having a problem, are you? What is it?”

“Shush,” she whispered. She took his hand and placed it with hers on the roundness that wasn't yet visible through her robes. Within an instant he felt the quickening from within her womb.

“That's...”

She nodded. His free hand joined the other.

“Our baby.”

She nodded again.

“Emily, you know what this does to me.”

“I was counting on it.” She smiled and let him lift her to her feet. She followed him to the bedroom and let him undress her. Severus tugged unmercifully at buttons and hooks in his eagerness to get closer to that faint tapping. He finally reached bare skin and laid his face close to where his hand was.

Emily felt lush and beautiful. There was something so perfect in carrying the child of her husband. She enjoyed being adored in this way, even if it was for the baby right this minute. It wasn't insulting because she knew her husband loved her for herself, too.

The child stopped moving and Severus's attention turned elsewhere. He finished removing her partially unfastened clothing and then sat on the side of the bed to look at her as he undressed himself. He had no idea how to describe the love he felt for her right then, but he could see in her eyes that she understood.

Severus couldn't hide his impatience for her but it didn't matter. Emily reached for him with eager arms and lips. Within a very short time they were clasped together, enjoying their passion for one another. When they had finished, he held her with one arm around her shoulders and the other hand over the place where he had felt the baby before. There was more activity under his hand for a while since the child had been wakened by their lovemaking.




Dear Lucky,

That first task was pretty thrilling. Even Daddy had to grudgingly admit that Potter is some flier on that broom and the summoning charm was a stroke of genius. When he puts his mind to something, he can actually do pretty well, can't he? I thought Krum was wonderful, too, with the Conjunctivitis Curse. Just as thrilling as to watch him play Quidditch.

The parents made me have dinner with them last night. Quelle nightmare! Not only were they all over each other, but they have their little jokes, too. They discussed how well Krum did with the Chinese Red, and Mum said that she's rarely enjoyed listening to a game broadcast more than when Krum caught the Snitch during the Quidditch Cup. Then Daddy smiled and said that play made his day. Then they GIGGLED. Well, of course Daddy doesn't giggle. It was more of a half-snigger from him. I'm sure they've lost their minds and that I was the only mature person in the room.

My House is supposed to back Diggory, of course, since he's the of-age champion from Hogwarts, and there is a point to that. I think his transfiguration scheme might have worked better if he had tried a larger animal. Still, Potter has style. I'm sure the girls will be all about him for the next few weeks. Do you think Granger is really his girl friend like it says in the Prophet? They don't seem to suit. She bosses him all the time and he ignores her, as far as I can tell from the classes we share.

Whatever. You need these Potions notes if you're going to survive class on Friday...

Sincerely,
Hope




Dear Hope,

You were right. Those Potions notes saved my life! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Since I've started with classes, I'll continue. In your essay you have two plants with similar names mixed up. One doesn't come up until next year...

McGonagall announced that there will be a Yule Ball on Christmas. Now I understand why we were supposed to have dress robes. I can't decide if I should try to get a date or just go and see what happens. I suppose you have a date, already? It's kind of funny watching my one House mate fret over the dating issue. He needs a date and discusses it with his best friend constantly. For once he's actually pretty human looking.

Your parents sound so normal. I have to split your Dad into two people in my mind, though. He sounds very different from the person I know in his professional setting. Your Mum sounds really sweet. I read your stories about your family and I wonder sometimes, just what it would have been like. At least I can see my parents from time to time. Harry Potter never even gets that.

Sincerely,
Lucky



Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved