Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: The characters here and the world they inhabit are the creation and property of JK Rowling. This chapter takes place during the time line of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Emily Snape was in her sitting room, playing with her toddling son and waiting for her husband to come in to an intimate dinner. It would be a pleasant evening, celebrating the end of O.W.L.s. Severus burst in and Emily knew in an instant that the evening was going to be very different from their plan.

“Emily, that dratted boy has gone to the Ministry. He's going to ruin everything.”

“What's happened?”

“As far as I can tell, he had another vision of the Dark Lord's mind and thinks Black is being held there and tortured.”

“Is that likely to be true?”

“No, I checked, and of course Black is safe at home, and wants to join a rescue party, but he needs to stay where he is. Dumbledore has always insisted on that point. Potter needs him for some stability in his life. If he leaves the house, he'll be returned to Azkaban, or kissed, or killed. We need someone to relay messages at Headquarters, anyway. I have to stay here, though. If I go to the Ministry...”

“What is there to do?”

“Emily, you have to go. He'll listen to you.”

“I don't know, Severus.”

“It's important, you have to go. You can convince him to stay at home, Emily.”

There was no arguing with the look in his face. Emily turned and grabbed her cloak. She left the school and made her way to Sirius's house. When she knocked on the door, Sirius answered. Remus Lupin was in the hallway. The others had already left and Remus was clearly trying to get Sirius to stay behind.

“Emily! What are you doing here?”

“I'm here to make sure you stay.”

“No, Emily, Harry is in danger, and I'm going with Moony.”

“Sirius,” she walked right up to him and stepped close, “you are supposed to stay here.”

Remus had been hoping for an opportunity to leave without Sirius and slipped out the door.

“Emily, I've been trapped in this house forever. It's almost as bad as Azkaban, surrounded as I am by some of the worst memories of my life.”

“You can't go, Sirius. You have to stay.”

“Why is it so important?”

“Harry Potter needs you to be alive for him, Sirius. I think Dumbledore must have convinced Severus of that, somehow. He sent me here to convince you.”

“What can I have, trapped here, Emily? Do you know what I've been thinking and dreaming about, alone in this house? I've been imagining you, Emily, moving beneath me in a bed, and growing large with my child. I've imagined that the baby nursing at your breast in my sitting room was my son and that I've been having interesting conversations with my daughter. Can you give me that life, Emily?”

She looked at him, her mouth opening and closing in dismay.

“No, of course you can't give that life to me. You've given it to him.”

She was aghast. “You don't really want that with me, if you want it at all--”

He sighed and calmed his voice. “Maybe I don't. How can I be sure with this existence? Emily, this is a chance to clear my name and to finally get out of this house. Plus, I cannot stay at home when my godson might be hurt or killed. I have to do something, anything, to help.”

“They need someone to stay here and relay messages for the Order.”

“Anyone can do that. They can send anyone at all here. Emily, I'm going.”

“Sirius, wait!” He was out the door, but she managed to grab his robe before he Apparated, bringing her with him.

His voice echoed in the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic. “Emily! You might have splinched yourself doing that. It was terribly dangerous.”

“Sirius, let's go back to your house. I'll sit with you.”

“I'm not leaving until I find Harry.”

As they walked from the Atrium to a hallway, a part of the battle came toward them. The unmistakable voice of Bellatrix Lestrange shrieked as it approached, followed by the youthful bellows of Harry Potter. The boy was trying to Cruciate the witch and although he had some small success, it was clear that the spell was beyond him.

“I'll show you how it's done, little boy!” she said, lifting her wand and pointing it at Harry. Before Emily could intervene, Sirius threw himself in front of his godson, taking the full brunt of the curse. Bellatrix screamed with glee when she realized whom she had cursed, and cast the spell again and again. She was impervious to the jinxes and hexes Emily was willing to send her way with Harry so close and continued cursing her cousin until Dumbledore hit her with a jinx from behind.

Emily knelt by Sirius in the hallway as the battle reformed and moved into the Atrium. She cast the charm that helped with the curse but he only stopped twitching. It was hard to tell if he was alive or dead, let alone whether his mind had been affected. As several battles raged around her, Emily kept her vigil, watching for a sign of life or confirmation of her fear.

Finally, all was silent except for the footsteps of the teen boy who ran toward her. He looked at Sirius and then at Emily, a silent question in his eyes.

Without a good answer, all Emily could do was shake her head. Thinking the worst, the boy wailed and the Headmaster led him back to the Atrium, where he placed a Portkey in the boy's hands and sent him back to the school.

“Emily, is he?”

“I can't tell, Albus. I think she may have done to him what she and three others did to the Longbottoms. I used a charm that eased the pain, but I don't know what else has happened, or even if he lives. I fear that his mind will never be the same.”

“Harry thinks he's dead. Perhaps it's better to leave it that way, for now. Take him to the hospital, Emily, and do what you can for him. Report to me tomorrow.”

“Yes, Albus.” Her chest heaved as she gulped in air. “It's my fault. Severus told me to keep him at Headquarters, but he wouldn't stay--”

“Emily, you did your best, I'm sure, and the loyalty to me, from both you and Severus, means much. Do what you can for Sirius, and report to me tomorrow.”

Severus met her at the hospital as she guided the levitating body to the Janus Thickey Ward. “I am sure to be summoned soon, but I had to see you. Are you all right? Did anyone hurt you?”

“I'm fine. I'm not sure anyone realized I was there.” They reached a curtained area designated for a new patient and Emily set him on the bed. “I think he would benefit if we both used your charm, together, Severus.”

Together they cast the spell, Severus at Sirius's chest, where Emily indicated Bellatrix had hit him with her curse and Emily at his head. The patient sighed and seemed to relax. Emily turned as one of the Healers who specialized in mental health arrived. The Healer used a special spell to assess the damage.

“He's alive, and physically healthy, under the circumstances. Mentally, I'm not sure whether it will be permanent, but there is extensive damage,” he said. “He will need months to recuperate, at least. Can you give me his information?”

“He has no real next of kin and I think he needs to be anonymous for now,” replied Emily. “Can we make up a name and just sort of let him be here? If anyone knows he's here, he'll be hunted.”

“We can do that, at least until he becomes lucid.”

“Thank you,” said Emily, as she and her husband took their leave. They walked to the employees' entrance.

It wasn't as if he cared about Black, Severus thought to himself, but protecting the Order was a foremost consideration. “Will he be safe, there? Won't someone recognize him?”

“It's highly unlikely. No one ever really looks at the patients in that ward. They're too busy being grateful that they're just passing through or working in there. In some ways, he's safer there from detection than in that house.”

As they reached the doorway, Severus touched his arm. “He's calling, and it will be a difficult meeting. The raid was a complete failure, since the prophecy was completely lost and the Dark Lord was forced to show himself.”

“I will be in our rooms, waiting for you and prepared. I love you, Severus Snape.”

“I love you, my Emily.”

They Apparated to their different destinations.




Neville Longbottom awoke to an odd feeling. His first sensation was to wonder where his bed hangings were before he recalled that he had been brought to the Hospital Wing of the school. His second sensation was that someone was sliding a hand under his pillow. His eyes focused in the dim light upon a white face framed with dark curls, looking like a renaissance Madonna.

“Hobe!” he whispered.

“Lucky!” she responded. “I'm so proud of you, and I had to come see if you're OK, myself.”

“My dose was hit. Badam Bomvrey did someding and id's gedding bedder, I dink.”

“I'm sure it is. Get your sleep and don't think about me.” She rested her other hand on top of his pillow and lowered her lips to his, then slipped away before his own hands had a chance to lift from the bed in a feeble effort to hold her. He was weak, from his injuries and the potions Madam Pomfrey had given him, and he fell right back asleep.

Margo Snape slipped through the door of the Infirmary and found a dark corner to hide in as she pressed her hand to her heart and caught her breath. If he married Hannah Abbott tomorrow, at least she would have her first kiss to remember. Ruefully she realized that having had it, she would now crave more.




Neville woke the next morning to a good breakfast and a much reduced, although still sore, nose. His lips felt strange until he remembered the kiss he had received the night before. It was probably just a dream, though. He slid his hand under his pillow, where he remembered hers being, and found a scroll of parchment. It wasn't a dream.

Dear Lucky,

You are lucky, just like Sir Luckless, and you didn't need water from a special fountain any more than he did. My dorm mate just came in, full of annoyance and rather nasty comments about how a certain group of people have broken the rules yet again and how they have all the breaks.

I've already heard rumors about how you went to back up your house mate and how even with your wand broken you showed yourself more than capable of fighting the Death Eaters. You have shown yourself to be truly the son of Aurors and as capable a wizard as anyone else in our year.

I can't tell you how proud of you I am. All I can do is wait until all the activity in the Hospital Wing dies down and bring you my note.

Sincerely,
Hope


Hope had it a little bit wrong. Her note told him how proud she was, and swelled him with pride that someone noticed and was impressed. Her kiss told him, too. He had been trying to work up the nerve to find a way to kiss Hannah but had never managed it. He was just about ready when the DA had been infiltrated by the Inquisitorial Squad. He didn't suppose it mattered that Hope was therefore the first girl to ever kiss him. Somehow it was fitting.

His bedside table was covered with cards, notes and treats from well-wishers. There was even a congratulatory note from Gran. She was sorry his father's wand had been broken, but at least it was in a good cause. As soon as he returned home, they would go to Ollivander's for a new one. Hannah's note was full of worries about his injuries and hoped he would be OK. Neville glanced at everything and then rolled up the first piece of parchment he had received, sliding it back under his pillow. All of this attention was wonderful, but there was something special in the note he received from the friend he had always had...and the way it had come.

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 1]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved