Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: Except for some OCs, the characters here and the world they inhabit are the creation and property of JK Rowling. This chapter takes place during the time line of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

It was early in March and all who came into the Great Hall for breakfast one day could tell without looking that the Headmaster was enraged. Death Eaters had come onto the school grounds to break up a “Support Harry Potter” party at Professor Hagrid's cottage. Hagrid had escaped, perhaps to the hills nearby, but now there would be Death Eaters in Hogsmeade looking for him and more dementors were stationed in the village. Many students at the Slytherin table were delighted. Some were related to the Death eaters in town and looked forward to the proximity of their family. Many of the rest of the students busied themselves with breakfast, trying hard not to smile at the idea of Hagrid's party and then trying hard not to be too subdued over the changes to the school and village.

The Headmaster went back to his office to await his wife's return from St. Mungo's after a late night shift. Emily smiled wearily as she came through the fireplace and then walked around her husband's desk, into his waiting arms. He pulled her into his lap.

“Emily, I'm sorry, but it's time.”

The smile vanished, replaced by a look of distress which was quickly erased by resignation. “What has happened?”

He described Hagrid's party and the steps the Dark Lord had taken to prevent that sort of thing happening again. “I can't have you near so many dementors. I know how they affect you, and the Death Eaters will get bold soon, coming onto school property without invitation.”

Emily considered all of the arguments she had made about this and her desire to be with her husband, especially if he ever came into danger. Protecting his peace of mind won out. If he lost his concentration, then disaster could follow for more people than the Snapes. “I promised, and I will abide by your decision.”

Severus sighed in relief. “Thank you.” He pulled her close as the baby moved. His hand slid down to her belly. “You don't have to leave this minute, however.”

“No?”

His hand worked between the fastenings of her robe and under the waistband of her skirt. “We could enjoy our last bit of time together.”

“You're brilliant, you know.”




10 August 1979

It's now three weeks since I gave myself to Severus.

I had a terrible dream that woke me early this morning. I'm not used to dreams so vivid. Lily was with Severus, pregnant with his child. They told me I had to deliver the baby and so I assisted her in undressing, noticing that her body is exquisite perfection. Mine has good points, but hers, at least in the dream, has no bad points. After a while, a baby appeared in my arms and when I went to hand it to Severus, he reached into my chest and removed my heart, which he handed to Lily, leaving me with the child in my arms.

I know what the dream is about. Even if I continue to avoid the situation, it will not change. My monthly flow should have started days ago. It's never this late.

Severus's child grows within me. He wants no part of me, but I have a part of him. Foolish girl! A simple recollection of my monthly calendar would have told me that we were making love at the surest time to conceive a child. I knew how to prevent this, and even if I have no intention of ever using the vile stuff indefinitely, I might have this one time. I was even in the kitchen before we started. It would have been a simple matter to put the preparation together and take it. I had a wizard quite skilled in preparing potions at my side right then, too.

On the other hand, my brief sojourn into womanhood is not over. I'm going to be a mother. It's a lovely thought. I hope Severus won't be angry as long as I make it clear I don't expect anything from him.

I will have to ask another Healer-in-training to examine me and confirm it. I wish it could be anyone other than the woman Severus would choose to bear his children, but I fear she is the only one who will be available and I need to know today. Somehow I will get through this, if only for the child's sake. My love for the child's father should see me that far. So my tasks for today are to confirm this pregnancy and then to inform him.


Severus next read a description of Emily confirming her pregnancy, followed by discussing it with him. He smiled over his own memories of holding her hand as first her mother and then his own insisted on examining her. His mother had been so delighted with her pure-blood daughter-in-law and the grandchild who was nearly so. He then nearly laughed aloud at her thoughts on his approach to fatherhood.

11 August 1979

...He drank all of this in. He told me this morning that he already loves our baby and has high hopes for his or her future. I never pictured him as particularly daddy-like, but he's taken to the role with an appetite. If I didn't love him before, I would certainly fall in love now as he discusses the bright future of the rice-sized person in my tummy.


It was tempting to run down to the Slytherin dormitories to check on the person who was considerably bigger than a grain of rice now. It would also be disastrous. For the Headmaster to wander through the school on such a sentimental flight of fancy would be a show of weakness from which he would never recover. Telling Emily of his thoughts would be much more the proper thing.




My dear one,

I have started reading your diary again. Tonight I read about the day you informed me that you were pregnant with our daughter. What joy those memories bring me now, and yet you were so very worried at the time. I can still hear the tremble in your voice as you agreed to what I so foolishly wanted that night. I can see in your handwriting how determined you were to be happy with just the baby if that was all you ever had and how hurt you were when I first suggested Obliviation.

Then you gave me your news, calmly and quietly. You didn't ask for anything, you simply wanted me to be informed and then you were willing to go on without me if that was my choice. I can still see your eyes that night. They were so determined, but full of a single wish, too. I'm very grateful that I had the presence of mind to suggest our marriage. I might have been such a fool to suggest that we do so when I was convinced we couldn't love each other. It might have been a disaster. I'm very grateful that you went along with it.

The night you told me of Hope's existence brings to mind the day you told me of Marcus. We seem so very young in my memories of that day, basking in the glow of having our earliest wishes and dreams realized. We were so fortunate. You had finished your certification, I was becoming established here at Hogwarts, we had one bright and beautiful child, and right then we looked forward to our second one. I recall the night that tidings of Brendon left us both stunned. It was amazing to think that we had such good fortune in the middle of the troubles gathering around us. And now with the new little one I know so much happiness. To have that one spot of new life when death surrounds us is incredible.

I wish we could be together tonight. I picture you fretting over the changes to your figure due to our growing little one. I would come to stand behind you as you look in the mirror and place my hands over the place where our child rests. Perhaps I would find some small difference tonight that would encourage me to search for others. In any case, I would find myself animated by the dear woman in my arms and bring her to bed. Very little could come between us just then. After fulfilling our passion, I would get to sleep close together with the woman who always brings me comfort and passion and life.


“Did you tell her how much you miss her and love her?”

Severus twisted around and looked at the portrait of Dillys Derwent. “Do you mind?” If the portraits were reading over his shoulder and started spouting excerpts around the school, it would destroy his carefully developed reputation.

“It might be easier than pacing all the time.”

“I think I can manage a proper love letter, thank you.”

“She's been working almost every day, you know.”

“Have you seen her?” It was hard not to keep a trace of eagerness out of his voice.

“She looks a bit care-worn, but they all do these days. The Death Eaters keep them busy. She appears to be healthy, and judging by her shape, the baby is growing well.”

“Thank you, Headmistress.”

Instead I prepare to sleep tonight in the room where your pillow still smells of you and I can only remember and wish and hope. I love you, my Emily.

Yours,
Severus





Emily Snape Flooed to her mother's house from work one evening and then sighed. It was time to see her son and find out what the household plans were for dinner and the rest of the evening. It was a lonely time of day without Severus or Hope. Mum had been a bit distant since Dumbledore's death and the two Healers frequently worked different shifts to avoid discussing it.

Healer Smith was not working on this particular evening. Emily was tired but she immediately made plans to do something she had meant to do since she had moved to London. After eating dinner, she played with Brendon and put him to bed and got her cloak. She Apparated to her husband's home on Spinner's End.

Severus had succeeded in making both his house and her apartment unplottable. Emily felt safe going to either place because of it. After walking through the house and recalling the last time they had been together in it, Emily went to the library. As she looked through various magical dictionaries and references, she realized that what she was looking for was in a section of particularly evil works. Saying a spell to protect herself from the potential effects of such books, she took a deep breath and pulled the first one from the shelf. She sat down at her husband's desk and started to read.

An hour or two later, Emily had succeeded in eliminating a great many possibilities, but there were still quite a few books to look through. She was getting a cramp from sitting so still and she was quite tired. Emily pondered going back to London. Brendon would sleep through the night and the house-elves would find her in an emergency. She decided to sleep in the bedroom upstairs. It had more of her husband's personality than any of their other bedrooms. She went up the stairs and curled up in the blankets, consoled by the impression of closeness she could get from Severus's things.




Dear Lucky,

I've noticed that Crucio is being used less these days in favor of other curses. The Professors Carrow must be onto everyone. I feel a pain whenever I see that you have a new injury. I wish I could do something or tell you how to avoid it, but you must do what you must do, I suppose. The DA will continue its activities and the school administration will continue to punish the DA.

I miss my Mum. I miss the way Daddy's eyes light up whenever he sees her, no matter how angry he is. I miss Brendon. He was just starting to get interesting.

I miss you, Lucky. I miss the shared silent jokes in Potions class or the way I felt whenever you looked at me. To be honest, I still feel that way, even though I know I shouldn't. I miss the feel of your lips against mine. That one is pretty stupid, because we only had the one kiss and I've had a couple of others since then and I know you've snogged at least the one girl pretty thoroughly. Still, I relive that one moment of my life as the best ever. It's the one I use when I cast a Patronus.

I need to get back to my Arithmancy. These days I have to work a little harder and be a bit better behaved than anyone else. The teachers are so angry at Daddy. I don't think they're taking it out on me, exactly, but I feel like I do have to have things a bit better than I used to in order to get the same grades. I guess I wouldn't blame them.

Sincerely,
Hope


Margo rolled this parchment up and added it to the secret compartment in her trunk, which was getting full. She would be so much better off if she used a diary, but somehow it seemed more like Neville would actually see it if she did it the old way.

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved