Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: Except for some OCs, the characters here and the world they inhabit are the creation and property of JK Rowling.

Hope arrived at the appointed place and time for Auror training. She was met with some surprised and unfriendly stares. The other trainees had arranged themselves loosely by school house. She found herself to be the only Slytherin among Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs and a couple of Ravenclaws. She stood quietly and looked each person in the eye as they stared at her.

“Are you sure you're in the right place, Snape?” asked Ron Weasley.

“This is Auror training, right?” she asked.

“She's in the right place,” said Harry Potter. “After watching her at the battle, Kingsley Shacklebolt recruited her himself.”

Katie Bell walked up. “But her family—”

Harry interrupted. “Was proven to be faithful to the Order of the Phoenix all along. Several of you were protected by her shield charms during the battle; don't you remember?”

“She any good?” asked Dean Thomas.

“Better than most of us,” answered Ernie Macmillan. Margo flashed her cousin a smile.

She cleared her throat. “I'm here to train, just like everyone else. If I'm not right for it, I'll wash out, but if I fit in, I mean to do the job.”

During the first few days of training, the instructors spent several hours each day having the trainees spar with each other. They started by sparring with random partners, but the instructors watched the duels, and slowly matched the students by ability. Within a couple of days, Margo Snape was dueling with Harry Potter. Their styles were very different. She had developed the graceful movements taught by her father. He had a less polished but highly affective approach, developed through his experience. They were evenly matched, though, and the instructors eventually declared it a draw.

As they walked to lunch that day, Harry pulled Margo aside. “That was excellent! I wonder if you can show me some of your spells.”

Margo smiled and responded, “I would be happy to, as long as you show me some of yours.”

He looked a little serious. “It's too bad we never invited you into Dumbledore's Army.”

“I would have loved to join,” she said wistfully, “but I understand that house loyalties were more important in those days.”

“Not anymore,” he stated emphatically.

As the summer wound down, Margo was accepted more and more by the Auror trainees in general. She worked hard, helped the others when appropriate, and did not try to show off or brag about anything. When things were difficult for her, she humbly asked for the help of the others. Best of all, when the time came to study for the finally scheduled N.E.W.T.s, she was generous with the assistance she gave in studying. By Halloween even Ron Weasley was heard to regret that she had never been part of the DA during their school years.




Early Autumn came, and Severus became increasingly testy in his surroundings. Emily had started working with some of the recovering injured in July, and Hope had started her training at the same time. Severus was a prisoner at St. Mungo's, although admittedly a much happier prisoner than he would be in a Ministry holding cell.

Severus couldn't come and go from the hospital, due to Emily's fear that he would be arrested. They were able to spend hours at a time together in the room that by turns resembled the bedroom at Emily's flat, the bedroom at Severus's house, every room they had used at Hogwarts, or any place else they desired. Emily did what she could for Severus by bringing him the periodicals and books he read to keep up with magical innovations. It was not wholly unpleasant, but it chafed.

Finally, in late August, Severus was summoned to a first floor conference room to face several members of the Wizengamot, Minister Kingsley Shacklebolt, the remaining members of the Order of the Phoenix, and several members of the press. Clearly, those who would decide his fate had reached their conclusion. Suddenly, Severus felt light-headed. He wondered whether he was completely healed yet. Emily refused to take the seat she was offered, and instead held her husband's hand. The light-headed feeling passed, and Severus knew that he and his wife would manage whatever came to them.

“I have a statement to read,” said Minister Shacklebolt, “and if there are any questions, I will answer them afterwards.” He took a drink of water, cleared his throat, and began.

“On the matter of Severus Snape's activities during the decades long conflict now known as the Voldemort Wars, the Wizengamot has investigated. Friends, acquaintances, comrades, enemies and other witnesses have been deposed. Evidence has been carefully researched and assessed. Finally, Professor Snape's own statements were exhaustively taken and reviewed.

“Several things have come to light during this investigation. The first is that Severus Snape never took the vow of Death Eater, although Voldemort intended for him to do so. When Mr. Snape was compelled to become a servant of Voldemort by threats to his own life and that of his family, he did so only after becoming a spy on behalf of Albus Dumbledore. As is noted in other documents, Professor Dumbledore was head of the Order of the Phoenix, which was an organized resistance to Voldemort and the Death Eaters.

“In the process of carrying out his duties as spy, Professor Snape was required to provide information to Voldemort. This was done with unerring precision, only giving the enemy what the Order wanted him to know. The deaths of James and Lily Potter are indirectly attributable to Snape's activities, yet those very activities were carried out under the direction and approbation of Dumbledore. As is noted in other case studies, the Wizengamot has determined that the direct causes of the Potters' deaths are the perfidy of their friend and secret keeper, Peter Pettigrew, along with the activity of Voldemort, himself.

“Upon the return of Voldemort to a human existence, Professor Snape undertook, at great personal risk, to act as spy again. The information he provided has proven critical to the ongoing success of the resistance, and the information passed to Voldemort was again only what was necessary and only what the Order had approved.

“Concerning the death of Albus Dumbledore, it has recently come to light that Professor Snape was less culpable that originally thought. Due to a curse the Headmaster had received, that they were unable to break, Dumbledore had decided upon his own death at Snape's hands as a means to convince Voldemort that Snape was loyal to him. It has come to light that Snape spent many hours researching ways that Dumbledore would be saved from the curse. Had he succeeded, Professor Snape's life would have been forfeit, as he had taken at least two Unbreakable Vows concerning this action.”

Suddenly Emily went white and sank into the chair that was still waiting for her. She kept her grip upon Severus's hand, however. She looked into his eyes and found a flicker of reassurance, and so turned back to listen to more of Kingsley's statement.

“After the death of Albus Dumbledore, Professor Snape was considered an enemy and refugee from justice, and yet still managed to assist the Order of the Phoenix. It was he, acting again upon Dumbledore's prompting, who decided upon the best means of safely removing Harry Potter from his aunt's home and found a way for the Order of the Phoenix to accept his plan. While participating as a servant of Voldemort on that occasion, he was able to protect Order of the Phoenix members from fatal harm.

“During the school year, as Headmaster of Hogwarts, it has been discovered that Snape found ways to protect and assist the students, even while appearing to work on the side of Voldemort. On the night of the final battle, Snape kept his cover as servant of Voldemort right up to the point where he was injured, nearly fatally.

“In light of Professor Severus Snape's activities during the past twenty years, the Wizengamot has voted to acquit Snape of all charges that could potentially arise from his actions as spy.”

The room was suddenly filled with whispered comments. Emily found that she was breathing. She wasn't sure whether she had done so during the entire statement, but she was breathing now. Her husband was leaning down, so she stood to raise her face, accepting the kiss he had for her.

Kingsley cleared his throat again. “I'm not finished. To continue: Furthermore, in light of Severus Snape's work on behalf of those fighting against Voldemort, involving frequent personal injury and risk of greater injury, the Ministry of Magic has seen fit to bestow the Order of Merlin, First Class.” Applause had broken out among the crowd as Kingsley finished. “Congratulations, Severus.”

The Snapes stood together and received the good wishes and congratulations of everyone who had come. At some point, an Order member suggested moving the party to the Leaky Cauldron. The group at the hospital broke up and re-formed at the suggested meeting place, but the guest of honor never arrived. Instead, he whisked his wife and sons to his own home, where there was a private celebration that continued most of the night.

There came a time in the small hours of the morning when their bodies were finally replete. Emily had time to ask a question that had burned her heart since the meeting in the conference room. “Were you really looking for a way to counter that curse?”

“What kind of man would I be if I didn't at least try, Emily?”

“But it would have killed you to go back on your Vow. The children and I,” she choked. “I don't think I could be without you.”

“Whether by design or accident, Dumbledore was working against me there. He had removed all the books that discussed Horcruxes from the library long before he fell victim to one. I would never have found the solution anywhere else.”

“But the books in your library would have told you something. I'm sure it was there, in one of them.”

“I have so many books about Dark Magic that it would have been difficult to find what I was looking for with so vague a start, even if I didn't have to avoid Pettigrew at every turn that summer after Dumbledore was stricken.” He kissed her forehead. “Emily, I had to try. You know that, don't you?”

She nodded. “I've come so close to losing you so many times in the past few years. Finding out about another time... Please tell me we're done with all that.”

“I promise, with as much certainty as I can give you. My spying days are over.”

“And the second Unbreakable Vow?”

“Was to Dumbledore himself. He thought my position in the Dark Lord's circle was more valuable than his own life. He made me promise to kill him rather than risk that position.”

Severus could feel his wife's body go cold as she stiffened with rage. He knew what she was feeling. He had gone over it and over it himself, at the time the Headmaster required that vow. The lengths Albus Dumbledore would go to, in order to ensure that his own ends were accomplished, claiming it was for the good of those he manipulated, were unfathomable.

Severus pulled his wife closer into his arms and warmed her with soft kisses. It would be impossible to forget all that they had gone through. With time, he hoped that it would all recede. He wanted to be able to enjoy the rest of their lives without too many regrets and without new fears.




An October wind blew chill, and rain fell onto a witch and wizard guarding a back door to the Ministry of Magic. Few knew of the existence of this door, but it was used today to allow an important witness to get into and out of the Wizengamot without significant disturbance. The witch and wizard stepped closer to each other, hoping to keep the chill to a minimum. Unable to help himself, the wizard stepped closer yet, hoping to catch the scent of the witch's hair. She had it in a ponytail to keep it out of her face, yet the curls still cascaded down her back from the nape of her neck. For just a second he closed his eyes and was transported to a flower garden in springtime.

“Longbottom, are you smelling my hair?”

Margo Snape had misgivings about working with Neville Longbottom. There wasn't much use in complaining when they were given this assignment. Although there were several training to be Aurors, there were few who were fully qualified due to losses during the war, so on some assignments the trainees were brought in. Since even that was sometimes not enough, members of the Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledore's Army occasionally filled in as well. Margo had been assigned to work with Neville and could not admit the reason why it made her uncomfortable.

“I don't know what came over me, Hope. It's so beautiful that I had to see what it smelled like.”

“You think my hair is beautiful?” Why did her heart have to leap every time he used that tone of voice with her?

“I think all of you is beautiful, Hope.”

“Then why...oh never mind.” She stifled the urge to turn around and jinx him. If he were so sure that she wasn't his type, he could suffer. “Just stop it. We're here to make sure no one tries to hurt the witness.”

They stood quietly, wands ready, and watched the alleyway. Suddenly two shapes moved into the light near the door and became Pansy Parkinson and Gregory Goyle. Neville disarmed them while Margo stunned and then bound them.

“Neville, could you send your Patronus to Harry?”

“Wouldn't it be better if you sent yours?”

“No, it really wouldn't.” Having seen Neville's at the battle, Margo determined she would never let him see hers. “Can you please just send yours?” Seeing the look on her face, he finally acquiesced.

Pansy looked at Margo. “You sound like a married couple having a spat. You can't possibly fancy a Gryffindor. We should have known you weren't a true Slytherin. We know by now that you're not even truly pure-blood.”

Margo looked down at her captive. “You have the right to keep your mouth shut, you know. I'd be perfectly happy if you used it.”

“Someone will prevent him from talking, even if we've failed.”

“No one who tries to get to this door, if I have anything to do with it,” replied Margo.

A moment later a Magical Law Enforcement Squad came and took the two prisoners away. Neville sighed in relief. “Well, that's done, then.”

Margo shook her head. “Pansy made it sound as though others might try. We should keep an eye out.”

“You know you're quite special to me.”

“Yes, Neville, I know,” she sighed. Just not special enough.

“I mean, if it weren't for Hannah and all...”

Margo felt as though she had been kicked in the tummy. She stifled the urge to turn and yell at Neville, but the signal came. Suddenly several people Apparated into the alleyway and rushed to the door. A Portkey came next with two people, one of whom was Draco Malfoy and the other an Auror.

“Ah, Sweet Thing! Couldn't resist the chance to see me?” He walked toward Margo, but she kept her wand between them, in a dueling stance.

“I'm here to prevent anything happening to a witness today. Move along, Mr. Malfoy.” Neville thought she sounded like a female version of Professor Snape.

Draco tried to step closer to Margo, but the Aurors protecting him pushed him to the now-open door. He turned and smirked toward her, but then the door shut and Margo was alone again with Neville. He put his hand on her arm.

“Hope...”

“Don't, Neville, please don't. You have your girlfriend or whatever she is to you by now. You've made it clear all these years that you're not really interested in me, except now perhaps you're interested in me the way that he's interested in me.” She gestured to the door to indicate Malfoy. “It's not really a compliment, and at any rate, I think I deserve something better. Doesn't Hannah deserve better, too?”

He stood there looking at her. For a moment she irrelevantly thought that she understood why her father had yelled at Neville so many times in Potions class. Neville Longbottom could be such a dunderhead about things that should be obvious.

Harry Apparated into the alley. “Well, that was a good job. It seems that Pansy and Goyle were asked by Draco's father to prevent him from getting to the hearing today.”

Neville and Margo both nodded in reply.

Harry continued, “Neville, thank you for your help. We'll let you know if we need you again. Margo, we have paperwork to fill out...”

She chuckled without smiling. “And I have better handwriting. I'm right behind you.”

Harry went around a corner to the main doors of the Ministry. Neville put his hand on Margo's elbow.

“Hope, I'm sorry. I shouldn't treat you that way.”

She couldn't face him and moved in the same direction as Harry. “You should go get dry and warm.”

“Are we still on to study this weekend?”

She sighed. “Fine, Neville, I'll see you then.” Margo continued following Harry as she heard the pop of Disapparition behind her.

She went to the office the trainees used to file their reports and sat at a table with Harry.

“So what was that between you and Neville?” he asked.

“Oh, nothing.”

“You should have sent your own Patronus.”

Margo turned red. “I couldn't do that in front of him. I was watching the prisoners, so it was better if he did it anyway.”

“He doesn't know your Patronus is—”

“Please leave it alone, Harry. He's never seen it and I don't plan to show him.”

“I hope it won't affect your work.”

“It never has yet.”

Harry looked at her, sensing he had wandered into something highly personal, and met her even stare. He handed over a thick scroll. “Well, we need to get started on this, then.”

Margo dipped a quill in ink and began at the top of the parchment.

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved