Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
SS/OC

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: Except for some OCs, the characters here and the world they inhabit are the creation and property of JK Rowling.

In early December, Severus and Emily Snape were eating breakfast and glancing through the Daily Prophet. The first several pages were on the Death Eater trials that had just about finished. Emily was admiring the comments about “the dulcet tones of the main witness” to the embarrassment of her husband.

“They don't know the half of it,” she laughed. “There's dulcet, honeyed, mellifluous, silky...”

A hand reached around her arm and pulled her out of her chair and into her husband's lap. “What else is there?” he whispered as he kissed her throat.

“Sonorous,” she sighed, “and velvety... and... stimulating...” Her lips searched for a particular place behind his ear.

“You don't really have time for this, do you, Mrs. Snape?”

Emily's head snapped up. “No, I need to get to work. They want every minute they can get from me before we leave on that trip.” She sat back down in her own chair to finish her breakfast as their daughter wandered into the kitchen and poured herself some coffee.

“Good morning, Hope. It appears your division is doing good work.”

“Hmm...” said Hope as she reached for the paper.

“Perhaps you'd rather have a different section?” asked Emily, reaching for the paper a little hastily.

It was too late. Hope saw the item under Announcements. The Abbott and Longbottom families are proud to announce the engagement of Hannah Abbott to Neville Longbottom. The bride to be is the daughter of...

Hope put the paper down and shut her eyes. Her fingers trembled as she reached for her coffee and sipped it, hoping the steam from the drink would hide the tear that slid out of her eye. She knew her parents weren't fooled, but she hoped they would play along.

Emily got up from the table to move to the fireplace, and Severus went with her to say goodbye. Hope picked up the paper again. ...the couple plans to wed after the prospective groom returns from a Herbology expedition in a year and a half. They then plan to live in London while finishing their advanced training...

That was the limit of her heart, then. In a year and a half Neville would return from his Herbology expedition and shortly after that he would be married to Hannah and that would be the end of it. She knew that the second it happened, her heart would stop beating. In the meanwhile, she would simply pass the time.




By the New Year, the cases against major Death Eaters had been decided and Professor Snape had been allowed to leave the country on sabbatical. Emily packed up her husband and sons and left before anyone had a chance to suggest otherwise. Hope had stayed behind, knowing that she needed to work on her training and become an adult in her own right.

Margo Snape found herself the object of many reporters. Now that various gag orders had been lifted, the press were eager to learn everything they could about the Snape family. She said little to most of the reporters, although she did speak with Xenophilius Lovegood. Luna's father was a dear, and his story would probably fly in the face of the usual stories. He believed that the Snapes loved each other, just as he had always sensed that Severus Snape was not truly working for Voldemort.

A flurry of stories started to surface in the papers and magazines in the spring. Some thought they had proof that Emily Snape was doomed to love hopelessly while Severus Snape carried a torch for a dead woman. Most seemed to consider Margo's mother to be some sort of adventuress, as the story in the Daily Prophet described.

THE OTHER WOMAN:
The Life and Activities of Emily Snape

by Rita Skeeter


Many of us have been thrilled and amazed to learn of the connection between the surly yet dashing long time Potions Master of Hogwarts School and Harry Potter. The revelation about the star-crossed love affair between Severus Snape and Lily Evans Potter when students themselves, has left us breathless and astonished. Yet, the Potions Master has been married since before the first fall of You-Know-Who. Just who is this other woman, and how does she fit into the story?

Emily Snape, nee Smith, is a Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital, the daughter of Healers. She attended Hogwarts School during the same years as her husband as well as both Lily Evans and James Potter. Her grades were Outstanding as a student, although perhaps that's easy enough to understand. Contemporaries at the school tell us she studied with Severus Snape in the school's library most nights. After leaving Hogwarts, she entered the Healer training program at St. Mungo's and has worked there ever since. She and Snape were wed in August of 1979, and their daughter was born the following April. The couple also has two young sons.

Miss Smith was known as a somewhat mousy thing until sixth year, when she was suddenly courted assiduously by the campus Lothario known as Sirius Black. “Oh, yes, that was the year she started to fill out her robes,” explains one classmate, “Sirius was dead gone over her. We know why the boys were interested after that.” Sirius Black was unavailable, at the time of press, for comment.

Knowing, as we do now, that Severus Snape was in love with Lily Evans, it's unclear just how Emily Smith inveigled him into marriage. Based upon the dates available in public records, it appears that Smith took advantage of him around the time of James and Lily Potter's wedding in July of 1979, and perhaps trapped him. The couple had no other children for thirteen years after the birth of their daughter, causing us to wonder what sort of marriage they really had.

What must life have been like for Emily Snape, knowing her husband's true feelings? How did she manage to marry a man who was in love with another woman? Did she find her actions were worth it? We wish to know, but may never find out. What is clear is that Healer Snape must be far-sighted. She has managed to tie up a wizard who should be one of the most eligible bachelors on the scene, given his dashing war record.

At the time of press, neither of the Snapes were available for comment, as Healer Snape has whisked her husband and sons away on sabbatical to the Continent, claiming that his still-improving health could use a good vacation. Their daughter, Margo, who is currently in the Auror Training Program, refused the opportunity to comment. Family and friends have been equally reticent. Rest assured, dear reader, this reporter will continue to diligently search for the truth.


Margo Snape set the paper aside for the fourth or fifth time and sighed. The story made the whole thing sound so lurid, when it was really incredibly romantic, and in some ways, wonderfully mundane. Her parents simply loved each other. Whatever had originally drawn them together, they had clearly gotten the best part of the deal. What's more, they deserved this time alone.

She had gone to be with them for a spring holiday and found them quite content with each other and the boys. Margo had recalled her own happy childhood with the same parents as she watched and helped them care for her brothers. Arriving home to a sensational story by that Skeeter witch was a bit of a come down. I wonder what she would have thought if she ever saw them as I did, all over each other half the time?

Margo was brought back to Earth by a tall wizard standing in front of her desk. Looking up, she saw Ted Nott and stood to give him a hug. “Ted, what brings you here?”

“You do.”

She blushed at the compliment. “No, really.”

“I have this thing to go to, and didn't have a date. I was wondering if you would be interested, but I wasn't sure how to contact you until I saw the Skeeter article about your mother in the paper.”

“Oh, that.” Margo turned red.

Ted shrugged. “Don't worry about it. Anyone who has seen your parents in the same room together knows the real score. Back to this thing, it's an old style dinner-dance to celebrate my dad's release from Azkaban. Lots of the family elders will be there, and I can't get out of it. Please say you'll come.”

“You want me to be your date?”

“It'll be fun, Margo, and I need a friend, not one of those girls who constantly owls me her address and dress size.”

Margo had a couple of similar owls each week from young men, and not-so-young men, herself. Avoiding the rush of interest that came in the wake of the war was tiresome, and Ted was a good friend. “I'll do it.”

“You won't regret it. Oh,” he said, sliding his hand into a pocket of his robe, “these are for you.” He handed her a bouquet of tulips and lilies.

“You brought me flowers?”

“I wasn't sure if I would need to sweeten the pot.”

The answer he received was a soft smile. He didn't know it was the first real one to cross her features in weeks, but he still felt a triumph. Things were looking up for him after a difficult time. The family fortunes were never in danger, but an alliance with the right young woman would bring the Nott name back to its former prominence. Plus, Margo was really a sweet girl, for all that she was an implacable warrior when roused.




The winter disappeared and became spring and then late spring. It was time to go home. Emily felt the pull of home life in every letter from her mother and in every picture of Hope in the paper. She knew Severus was better. The hard edge and bitterness she had known since they were teens had softened, but his quick wit had returned, along with the self confidence and quick reflexes. The muscle aches were gone, as were the nightmares.

The boys were ready for a more structured environment, as well. They were being spoiled to death by the local house-elves, who pretended they couldn't understand her explicit directions. There was much to pull her back to England, including a small tug within her womb. She was sure she was pregnant and wanted to go home to confirm it. At some point, under the Mediterranean moon, they had conceived again.

Emily had a stray thought that made her blush. Perhaps it was the Mediterranean sun. There was the day when Hope and Mum had been with them and had insisted on taking the boys into town for sightseeing. Severus and Emily had lain on the private beach that went with their cottage. One thing had led to another, and Emily had idly watched first one piece and then the other of her bathing suit float off into the surf. The larger portion of her attention was captured by the exquisite feelings her husband was causing. Severus had quite a sunburn that afternoon, requiring more than one application of an aloe lotion. Of course in the evening applications of the lotion, they discovered certain ways to enjoy the moment and perhaps it was the Mediterranean moon after all.

She decided to broach the subject that evening, after the boys were in bed.

“Severus, I think it's time to go home. I want to be back for the summer. It's getting hot here and I think there are things we need to get back to...”

“You wish to be home for the summer? Shall we spend the summer days in our own garden?” His improved health and complete freedom from any responsibility or oppression made him whimsical at times. He drew her to him and kissed her. “Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?” he whispered into her neck. “Thou art more lovely and more temperate.

Emily tried to turn her head and look into his eyes. “Severus, I think that you're fully recovered now and the boys--”

Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, And summer’s lease hath all too short a date.” He unfastened her robe and kissed along her collar bones and then her lips again, preventing her from protesting.

When he released her, she would have spoken again, but he held his finger over her lips. “Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines, And often is his gold complexion dimmed.” His lips descended again, and Emily found herself intoxicated by the sound of his voice and the rich words. Her fingers, almost in spite of themselves, reached to unfasten his robe.

He continued, “And every fair from fair sometime declines, By chance, or nature’s changing course, untrimmed.” Clothing was falling to the floor as they made their way to the bed in that awkward yet graceful dance of lovers.

But thy eternal summer shall not fade, Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st,” he whispered into her skin as he kissed and caressed her. She was under his spell, her own lips and fingertips doing things of their own accord.

He raised his head and looked at her in the way that always melted her. “Nor shall Death brag thou wand’rest in his shade, When in eternal lines to time thou grow’st.

After that, the moment for speaking was past, but the room echoed with sighs and moans as they shared their passion together. Then all was silent as they simply looked into each other's eyes and smiled. As he rolled to her side, he cupped her face in his hands and kissed her. “So long as men can breathe or eyes can see, So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Emily reached for him and kissed him back. “And so you have.”

“And so I have what?”

“Given life.”

He smiled in satisfaction. “We do have a fine family, don't we?”

“Severus, I'm trying to tell you, I think there is another one coming.”

He sat up and looked her over greedily. “Another? Are you sure?”

“I'd like to go home to have it confirmed, but I'm as sure as I can be that another person will share the Snape name next January.”

“How is this possible?”

She laughed low in her throat and quietly responded, “Do you really have to ask?” He felt his body responding to the sound of her voice. Passion sprung up between them again.

When it was complete, he leaned down and kissed her face all over. “You know the best part, don't you?”

“What would that be?”

“No one will ever refer to this child as a 'future Death Eater'.”




Hannah had come to help Neville pack for his year-long trip and they had come up to his grandmother's attic to find a suitable trunk. She was exploring one corner of the long room when she heard a timid “Riddikulus!” Hannah turned to assist Neville with the Boggart he must have discovered. She beheld not just his worst fear, but also, she quickly realized, her own.

He tried again, “Riddikulus!” The Boggart shifted to a worse version of the same fear. Hannah shook her head and took over, exploding the Boggart quickly. Neville walked over to the stairs and sat down heavily. Hannah thought she heard him stifle a groan.

“That's not the Snape I would have expected,” she said quietly, after sitting next to him.

“I haven't dealt with a Boggart since the one in Lupin's class,” he said. “I had no idea.”

“Neville, if she means that much to you...”

“Hannah, it doesn't mean anything. She scares me to death.”

Hannah persisted. “That's not what the Boggart sensed. She doesn't scare you to death.”

“She could vaporize me with hardly more than a look.”

“But you know she would never do it. Are you scared of her, or of your own feelings where she's concerned?”

He didn't answer. Hannah didn't need him to answer. He had asked her to marry him rather hastily one afternoon. She knew that he had been to see Margo Snape that day, and suspected the two had quarreled. She also knew that Neville and Margo's friendship was deeper than anything she would share with Neville. They had little shared jokes and even pet names for each other. When they were together, it was clear that Hannah was the third wheel.

Margo was a good sport and had kept her distance since the engagement, but Hannah knew that Neville still thought about her. Hannah even thought she knew what Neville thought about her. Margo had been in the society column quite a bit lately, in pictures showing her on the arm of Ted Nott. She looked as though she should be having a marvelous time, but her eyes were always a little sad. Hannah thought she knew why. She was sure she knew, by the way Neville would wad up the paper and burn it, of what Neville thought about Margo dating Nott.

“I think it's time to end it, Neville. I don't want to be the safe choice for you.”

“Hannah, you're perfect for me. You're just what I need—”

“I don't want to be what you need. I want to be the one you want and I don't think I am.” Hannah walked down the stairs, feeling surprisingly good. She had dreaded this for so long that it was good to finally have it over. She said goodbye to Augusta as she passed her in the kitchen, and left the house.

Neville sat a while longer on the attic steps, hardly realizing that his grandmother's engagement ring was in his hand. There was too much to think about, and he couldn't go to the person who always sorted things out for him in the past. There were only days until he had to leave, anyhow. Perhaps he should spend the next year thinking it over while abroad. The engagement to Hannah was a bit hasty.

Neville finally stood and picked up the trunk he had found, now thankfully without the Boggart. On a whim, he also located and picked up a box that Hagrid had given him shortly after the Battle of Hogwarts. Hagrid had said the contents of the box belonged to Neville, but he had never felt right about that. There was a cobbler on Diagon Alley who would take a commission. Neville had some last minute shopping to do and some books to pick up tomorrow. He would have time to add the one stop.

A/N: Another credit is due for this chapter. That is one of Shakespeare's Sonnets that Severus recites to Emily.

There's a lot of skipping around here. I think it's safe to say that for the most part people are living their lives, going back to work where possible, rebuilding some things, dealing with the continuing reconstruction after the war. I'm just touching on moments that are pertinent to my plot, now.

Thank you to everyone for following along with me. The reviews have been very kind. Beta reader Trickie Woo has been simply wonderful. The staff here at Occlumency have likewise been quite kind and helpful.

Two Sides Against the Middle by Rose of the West [Reviews - 2]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Copyright © 2003-2007 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved